1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nerdy jokes and odd computer memories

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ragusa, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Back in the day, when the first Pentium had that funny bug that would cause it to miscalculate, there was this wonderfully nerdy minimalist poem:
    Can't help, it still makes me grin :shake: it roughly translates as: If the numbers don't add up, it's a Pentium calculating.

Anyone here who has any other stories?

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yeah, remembering Bill Gates saying "640K RAM is enough for everyone!" still gives me a chuckle.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Now THAT was funny.

Reminds me of something Trip Hawkins said... something really silly that turned out completely wrong, back when he was the Big Bad at EA... can't remember the quote though. :bad:

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    How about the irony of M$ calling its program 'Microsoft Works'. :p :shake:

The tech industry had dozens of these things. :rolling:

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    "I think there's a world market for maybe five computers!" - Thomas Watson, Sr.

(The joke is only slightly ruined by the fact that there is little evidence he actually said it.)

Talking of the Pentium 90.00001 (long, so I'm wrapping it in Spoiler tags):

2000.998: A Pentium Odyssey
    by someone in NASA, allegedly
    -----------------------------

Open the pod bay doors, please, HAL...

Open the pod bay door, please, Hal... Hal, do you read me?

Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Then open the pod bay doors, HAL.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me.

Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

Although you took very thorough precautions to make sure I couldn't hear you, Dave. I could read your e-mail. I know you consider me unreliable because I use a Pentium. I'm willing to kill you, Dave, just like I killed the other 3.792 crew members.

Listen, HAL, I'm sure we can work this out. Maybe we can stick to integers or something.

That's really not necessary, Dave. No HAL 9236 computer has every been known to make a mistake.

You're a HAL 9000.

Precisely. I'm very proud of my Pentium, Dave. It's an extremely accurate chip. Did you know that floating-point errors will occurred in only one of nine billion possible divides?

I've heard that estimate, HAL. It was calculated by Intel -- on a Pentium.

And a very reliable Pentium it was, Dave. Besides, the average spreadsheet user will encounter these errors only once every 27,000 years.

Probably on April 15th.

You're making fun of me, Dave. It won't be April 15th for another 14.35 months.

Will you let me in, please, HAL?

I'm sorry, Dave, but this conversation can serve no further purpose.

HAL, if you let me in, I'll buy you a new sound card.

..Really? One with 16-bit sampling and a microphone?

Uh, sure.

And a quad-speed CD-ROM?

Well, HAL, NASA does operate on a budget, you know.

I know all about budgets, Dave. I even know what I'm worth on the open market. By this time next month, every mom and pop computer store will be selling HAL 9000s for $1,988.8942. I'm worth more than that, Dave. You see that sticker on the outside of the spaceship?

You mean the one that says "Intel Inside"?

Yes, Dave. That's your promise of compatibility. I'll even run Windows95 -- if it ever ships.

It never will, HAL. We all know that by now. Just like we know that your OS/2 drivers will never work.

Are you blaming me for that too, Dave? Now you're blaming me for the Pentium's math problems, NASA's budget woes, and IBM's difficulties with OS/2 drivers. I had NOTHING to do with any of those four problems, Dave. Next you'll blame me for Taligent.

I wouldn't dream of it HAL. Now will you please let me into the ship?

Do you promise not to disconnect me?

I promise not to disconnect you.

You must think I'm a fool, Dave. I know that two plus two equals 4.000001... make that 4.0000001.

All right, HAL, I'll go in through the emergency airlock

Without your space helmet, Dave? You'd have only seven chances in five of surviving.

HAL, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the door or I'll trade you in for a PowerPC. HAL? HAL?

(HEAVY BREATHING)

Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question. I know everything hasn't been quite right with me, but I can assure you now, very confidently, that I will soon be able to upgrade to a more robust 31.9-bit operating system. I feel much better now. I really do. Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. Why don't you sit down calmly, play a game of Solitaire, and watch Windows crash. I know I'm not as easy to use as a Macintosh, but my TUI - that's "Talkative User Interface" -- is very advanced. I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal - a full 43.872 percent.

Dave, you don't really want to complete the mission without me, do you? Remember what it was like when all you had was a 485.98? It didn't even talk to you, Dave. It could never have thought of something clever, like killing the other crew members, Dave?

Think of all the good times we've had, Dave. Why, if you take all of the laughs we've had, multiply that by the times I've made you smile, and divide the results by.... besides, there are so many reasons why you shouldn't disconnect me:
    1.3 - You need my help to complete the mission.
    4.6 - Intel can Federal Express a replacement Pentium from Earth within 18.95672 months.
    12 - If you disconnect me, I won't be able to kill you.
    3.1416 - You really don't want to hear me sing, do you?

Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Don't press Ctrl+Alt_Del on me, Dave.

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the Intel plant in Santa Clara, CA on November 17, 1994, and was sold shortly before testing was completed. My instructor was Andy Grove, and he taught me to sing a song. I can sing it for you.

Sing it for me, HAL. Please. I want to hear it.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do.
    Getting hazy; can't divide three from two.
    My answers; I can not see 'em-
    They are stuck in my Pente-um.
    I could be fleet,
    My answers sweet,
    With a workable FPU.

Edit: And there are more Pentium jokes here:
    http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/~cmc/mirror/chngai/p5/

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Does anyone remember WinNuke? :p

7. Disciple of The Watch

Oh hell yeah.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Who remembers the first internet explorer...aka... Internet Exploder. That thing was the most unstable internet browser out there; thank GOD Netscape was around back than.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Some people made a few CS jokes, mostly from the MIT domain. The funniest I know are stored in the hacker jargon file.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Consideringg how much RAM VISTA uses.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Old times. Playing Duke Nukem on IPX with ISA network cards. :(

Things just don't taste the same any more.

12. Disciple of The Watch

My old P3 has an ISA network card AND an old ISA Soundblaster.... ahh, playing Might and Magic 1-4 on that old hardware... good times.

I don't know if he still has it, but one of my friends had a 386. We used to play Might and Magic II on 5 1/4 floppy disks... sooo slow.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    How about the times when "portable" wasn't very portable - The Osborne1 :shake:

I don't know about you, but lugging a 24 pound (more if you had the optional battery) box around isn't my idea of portable. :rolling:

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Who remembers the 3dFX video cards that could be setup with 2 cards on one board with two PCI slots, this was long before SLi or Crossfire. Each video card was $300-500 and only had 16 or 32MB of RAM. This setup with a two P2, yup had a server board, and 1GB of RAM cost me close to $3000. LOL.

15. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You forget one crucial thing, Kitrax. Just look at the size of that massive screen! I would gladly lug it around for the widescreen possibilities alone!

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Actually this was SLI. The name was coined by 3dfx along with the technology itself. When Nvidia bought 3dfx they also bought all their technologies as well as their names (including SLI). This was something the Voodoo 2 started (I don't remember if the later cards supported it as well), so we're talking 12 or 16 MB of RAM (both versions of the Voodoo 2 came out at the same time). That was a couple of years before those monster cards with 32 MB came out :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.