1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Half Life 2: What's the appeal?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blackthorne TA, May 24, 2008.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK throwing saw blades to cut zombies in half with the gravity gun was pretty fun alright.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just thought I'd add an update. I did actually enjoy the game quite a bit. I'm not sure if it just took getting used to (I hadn't played a shooter in years prior to this). As Barmy says, there really is a lot to the game that keeps it fresh from chapter to chapter, even though it's mostly the same thing.

I finished HL2 and episode 1, and I think I'm just about to finish episode 2 (I just got my car equipped with the Magnusson device to go out and hunt Striders; I'm pretty sure that'll be the end once I'm done with however many there are out there).

One of my favorite parts to HL2 was the electromagnet crane. You could pick up shipping containers and drop them on the Combines to kill them, you had to use the crane to knock down a raised bridge so you could cross, and then you had to pick up your dune buggy with it to continue. Good stuff :) It was also a lot of fun when you had the antlions as allies, and that bridge level was spectacular.

The end fight with the Strider in episode 1 was good fun too. Hiding and navigating behind containers and metal sheeting until you could reach some rockets, then quick pop-up to hit it with a rocket and ducking back behind the cover. Good fun once again.

In episode 2, running through the antlion hive with the guardian on your tail as you duck into small tunnels to avoid it. Also the auto-gun and the field of junk cars. It was so satisfying after crawling along the car husks to avoid the auto-gun fire to have that unlimited carton of grenades to toss into the building to take out all the Combines in there. Really great.

The super gravity gun at the end of HL2 and the beginning of episode 1 was really fun too; just suck up Combines from afar and punt them into the others :)

I also like the levels where you have to take out snipers. Toss in a grenade, or a rolling mine, or shoot the window with a rocket while avoiding getting shot. :)

Dislikes:
    Zombines and their grenades. That one part in episode one in the dark waiting for the lift to arrive while endless zombie-creatures attack was such a PITA. I don't know how many times an unseen Zombine grenade killed me. In general, through all the HL2 games the zombie levels were the most tedious although Ravenholme was fun due to all the saw blades lying around.

The Hunters in episode 2. I must be missing some weakness or something because I use tons of ammo from the pulse rifle and/or the shotgun to take them down, and they send several at a time at you. Argh!

The endless streams of antlions when they're not your allies. Gah! In HL2 you had to pick up and drop crap to avoid stepping directly on the sand; tedious! In episode 1 (IIRC) you had to knock cars into their holes to stuff them up; man that garage level was a pain! What was it three or four holes, and you had to find that many cars to stuff them with? Ugh!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I don't get why the Combine bombard the cities with headcrab rockets. The zombies are always fighting the Combine, and there are even zombie Combines! So, what's the point of infesting the place with headcrabs? Seems like a bad idea.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Seconded, Bioshock is an awesome game. Well worth a playthrough.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I love Half Life 2. Glad you enjoyed it overall and the main bad side was the annoyance/difficulty of some of the creatures. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned though. In any shooter you need to die a few times to keep it interesting. The lift level is a pain, and you'll die a few tims there, but it's pleasing when you get through it!

Hope you enjoyed playing the last part of Episode 2, it's a fantastic challenge I think. There's so many hunters that you run out of ammo in your main weapons quick and have to try and find new ways to kill them; and enough striders that you're forced to get good with the Magnusson device!

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ooh! There are going to be Hunters along with the Striders? Ack! I think I'll just try to run them down with my car then... Hopefully that'll work. :)

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Done! Yeah running the Hunters down worked pretty well though they didn't make it easy. There were lots of logs around tp throw at them too, but I don't like that much because you can't see around what you're throwing to aim very well.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Easy ways to take out hunters:
    Run them over (A personal fave;))
    Secondary Pulse rifle fire (energy orb)
    Throw things at them with the grav gun
    If all else fails use your revolver/crossbow/RPG

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I generally took them out with guns, but you run out of ammo pretty quick, heh, then end up looking for stuff to lob at them with the grav gun. How many other games can you do that?

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You mean the energy grenade from the pulse rifle will kill them in one shot?! Oh man, I almost never use that thing since you don't find all that many of them. But I'm pretty sure I found at least a couple before that trap gets sprung along the road. That would have come in pretty handy then had I known; there's like three or four of them to kill.

How about the crossbow? I hardly ever use that either. Does it take many shots to kill them with it?

10. Kerfuffle Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't think I've ever used the crossbow on hunters, but another way of taking them out is to get them to shoot something you're holding with the gravity gun and then throw it at them. Somehow, they're instantly killed by their own ammunition.

11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Sweet game. Played it 2 months ago I think, in it's orange box edition. Took me 2 days to complete the whole zit, including episode 1 and 2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.