1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Annoying graphical bug

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Gin, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Gin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There's a very annoying graphical bug which I can't find a solution for. Basicly some of the sprites like the loot on the ground doesn't has its background transparent.
    Here's what an axe on the ground looks like. I've got it patched up right up to the latest patch avaiable.
    [​IMG]

btw hi everyone

2. Grigner Gems: 1/31

I have the same problem. I also have the problem that NPC dialog in the game play area appears in a giant black box. I fixed both problems by switching to 16-bit color and turning on Software Transparent Blt.

3. Gin Gems: 1/31

It did fixed it but the performance took a huge hit for some reason. Didn't know IWD 2 was this bugged.

4. CaptainStag Gems: 1/31

Well, when a game's parent company goes bust less than two years after its release, you can pretty much guarantee there's going to be some unresolved technical conflicts. It's too bad the modding community behind IWD isn't as strong as say BG.

5. eddy Gems: 1/31

Do you have a Geforce 8XXX Card?
    The current nvidia drivers have a bug that breaks DirectDraw transparency.
    It's NOT a problem with the game.

6. Gin Gems: 1/31

Oh that explains it then.

7. eddy Gems: 1/31

You can "fix" this by reducing the level of hardware acceleration.

Go to display properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshooting and set the slider to the third setting.

hannibal555 and JT like this.
  8. Gin Gems: 1/31

Thanks, solved the problem.

JT likes this.
  9. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH. YOU SAVED ME.

Funny thing, ID2 worked fine on my old computer (700mhz 128m ram 98se, graphics card from the year 2000) and my new quad core Dell (XP pro) had those horrible graphics glitches until I changed the slider. Should I move it back to maximum when I'm not playing ID2?

10. Shivan Gems: 1/31

omg, thank you so much for figuring out how to solve this issue... In my own thread on this issue, the best suggestion was to use old drivers... which would totally suck. And the 16 color + software BLT slows the game down.

But that hardware acceleration trick works absolutely flawlessly! Thank you!!!

Short Story of this thread (since it's now been stickied)-

If you have black boxes behind items on the ground or on other interactive elements in the game, if you are now using a high end video card, go to the Troubleshooting page in your Display Properties (in Advanced it was for me) move the slider backward to the third slot which should say "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations."

This should fix the problem completely without the performance hit some of the other methods could cause.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  11. Bodhi Gems: 1/31

Thanks for fix

Thank you for the fix, now I just have to find the thread(s) for suggestions to fix my few other problems.

Bodhi

12. Bodhi Gems: 1/31

retro bug

So, I adjust the slider and I can now play without conversations (any) filling up the screen with the big black box.
    I go to play NWN II & Dungeon Siege II and I get a message "could not find any compatible Direct 3D devices. The application will now shut down"
    I go out and download the new DirectX 10, and I still get the error message. Now I'm starting to get upset. For 3 days I try everything I can think of. Uninstalling, reinstalling, tweaking this and that. Nothing is working. Now I'm more than a little upset.
    Then I remember, after getting home from calling ball all day, about the slider. I move it back to the high end and, everythings ok again. So I slap myself upside the head while calling myself names.

Bodhi :o

13. Dr. Skepticus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Big problem with my Nvidia card. There is no "troubleshooting" tab or setting and no 'sliders' at all. When I go to the nVidia control panel => Advanced and the appropriate settings tabs there are just drop down boxes for enabling and disabling various settings. The good news is that you can adjust settings either globally or for specific applications such as Icewind Dale II(so theoretically I would not need to go back and readjust the "slider" after playing) but the bad news is that, again there is no slider or way to adjust "3D acceleration" as you describe. I tried messing with the individual checkboxes and drop downs and such but to no avail. IWD 2 still has the big black boxes and such as described by others above.

The individual settings that you can enable/disable/change range from "Anisotropic filtering"(2x, 4x, etc. up to 16x) to "Vertical Sync"(on, off application controlled etc.).

14. Dr. Skepticus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.