1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

mods you love to play?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Thanks David W.

One more question for, well anyone who knows the answer. What is the point of Non-Detection? I gave the cloak of non detection to my thief, but he still gets revealed by divination spells (at least one of them was True Sight, I think most of them were Dispel Illusions though).

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Was he using Invisibility or Hide in Shadows?

IIRC, Non-Detection may be only affecting Invisibility spells. I'm not certain; I could be getting muddled with another mod.

3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Hide in shadows I think.

I'll test with invisibility and maybe improved invisibility. Lets hope I havent sold the cloak already!

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    why all the hate for the dungeon of Irenicus? i love it. except the 1st 2 minutes where you have to sit there while he has his fun.
    question for those that "skip" it. where do you pick up jaheira and minsc?

5. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

You pick them up before you leave.

Dungeon-Be-Gone only introduces an npc (Jasper St. Baird) who can skip you to the exit of the dungeon, you choose when to talk to him and do what you want in the meantime, like freeing old friends.

Its then possible to complete most of the dungeon, go back to the cages before you exit, get Jasper to teleport you to the exit and get all the magic items you've collected given to you again. :evil:

At the very least you should collect items (BGT option to import more BG1 items) and do quests (nej2) that don't normally exist in the vanilla game and aren't gathered or finished by Dungeon-Be-Gone.

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Generally, though, it might break mod content in certain circumstances.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hmm. I just tried out Imoen romance. Despite it is always shunned by people, it was a very memorable gaming experience. I have always been a huge fan of Imoen, and the mod gives her the amount of interaction and banters she should originally have. That, and cutscenes, dream sequences, etc. are just like an art! The music changing depending on dialogue branches, many many cutscenes perfectly done and the dialogues and everything are so in-character with Imoen. Loved the wide variety of available responses in dialogues too, from sugary sweet to funny (slight spoiler: I really laughed loudly when I read the 'it's party orgy time!' response, that was unexpected and totally cracked me up!) to indifferent to heartless and even downright nasty and terrible!

I seriously encourage everyody to throw their prejudices and 'ewww, she is your sisteeeer!' crap away and give this mod a shot. This is just a game anyway. No need to make such a big fuzz about it, or debate whether love between charname and Imoen would be incest.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Too late, you've already used the magic words "Imoen" and "romance" in the first sentence...

9. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Heh, I know, but I think people are being very unfair to this nice piece of work.

Heck, I was soo scared of trying this mod as everybody kept yelling 'it is buggy as hell!' 'it is soo sick and disturbing I want to pluck my eyes out!' so I ended up postponing it...

Well now I did try the mod and here are the facts:the mod is not buggy, with the latest mod patch, I have never encountered a bug even in my mega-mod install! And the mod is written by an artistic and creative mind, the quality of cutscenes and dialogues and usage of different music clips show this. Simply dismissing the mod by calling it sick and buggy is very unfair IMHO.

10. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Given you can't pick up Immy until Chapter 4, how long is it? (Would you need to go pick up Imoen sooner rather than later, like Solaufein?)
    Just curious.

11. Baronius

Could I ask what fan-made fixpack (e.g. BG2Fixpack, Baldurdash) did you use (if any)? Just wondering.

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You don't have to rush to Spellhold. In fact, you shouldn't. The romance starts and advances in chapter 2 as usual, however Imoen only 'talks' to you in dream sequences when the party rests. Those dream sequences are cool, artistic and elegant cutscenes like the original Imoen-Jon Irenicus-Bhaalstuff dream ones.

However, romance dreams only start after those initial, original, Jon-Imoen dreams are concluded. You have to have those romance dreams, or else the romance will not be started once you rescue Imoen. So if you rush to Spellhold, Imoen romance won't be triggered.

So you can take your time and do other quests in chapter 2 as usual, and as you have sweet dreams with Imoen, the romance will develop. But you should give up all other potential romance partners! The mod will detect if the charname has an active romance with another NPC (if they have developed after the few first lovetalks, rejecting the romances in the few first talks won't do harm) and will kill the Imoen romance. Suprisingly this also applies to most mod-romance NPCs as well!

After rescuing her, the romance continues as normal banters throughout Spellhold mazes and opens up most memorable dialogue branches, richest party interaction with bioware NPCs, and lots of other stuff! Kinda like a director's cut version of Imoen, shedding light to much of what she had to go through while being held captive, but also to the childhood memories and first adventures of Imoen&Charname. (I especially loved those parts!)

If you like party interaction, cool and sometimes funny banters, and memorable, elegant, artistic cutscenes, you will love this mod, just like I did! Another thing I liked, you can force-talk to Imoen any time, and depending on the situation, how wounded the charname or Imoen is, more interesting and different dialogue branches would be available. I can not forget the one when Imoen barely survived a nasty explosion with only 1 HP!

So, Imoen romance mod does not have 25+ lovetalks, but the content is very big, filling and entertaining and is very well written/directed (in case of cutscenes)

Sure, I have SCS II installed right now so I had to get BG2 Fixpack. (I install Baldurdash for my Improved Anvil games, however, as I stated on the first page of this topic.) Ofcourse I had the original BG2 patch before everything, and I also had the Imoen romance mod's own patch....why did you ask?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  13. -David_W- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually SCSII tries to support Baldurdash (and unfixpacked installs, come to that), though it's written on a Fixpack base so that's certainly my recommendation. I've had positive reports of Baldurdash/SCSII experiences, though with the odd glitch.

14. Baronius

I was just wondering, Silverstar, thanks. I must have missed it somehow that you had SCSII installed, by the way.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

As everybody knows, I am mostly interested in difficulty enhancing mods, and I love both Improved Anvil and SCS II. Both have high quality scripts and encounters, but they are so very different nearly in every other aspect that I can not have both at the same time.

But this is cool. An Improved Anvil run totally feels very different than a SCS II one (spell system, kits, monsters, battles, quests, even NPCs like Imoen!) and vice versa. It is like I can play two similiar yet very different games!

If I can finish my SCS II run (close to ToB right now) I will go and start and IA run with its newest version. By the time that too is finished, hopefully SCS II's new version will be available and so on, so on...since my school takes most of my time, I don't think I will have to worry about what mod to play next for a very, very, long time though.

Both SCS II and IA are very good mods for difficulty and tactical oriented players. I highly value and reccomend them to experienced players! (but as I said, you can only have one at one time!)

16. Exor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

mmh my favorite mods are

-Refinements... woo fancy HLAs
    -Rogue Rebalancing Mod... memories the shadowthief compound (one of the earlier nastier versions) still make me sweat^^... I like the design

-Imoenrom ... imho she never talked enough... and this mod has the best writing of all the mods I've played... imho the quality of the romance/banters is more than worth the slight discomfort of "incest" between godchildren. I imagine it worked just like "virgin mary",... with rejoicing teletubbies dancing around.

-PlanarSphere mod... ok it's buggy, partly unfinished and with a ridiculous story but there is something heart-warming in blasting a group of orks with a fireball that spawns a new fireball for every hit it makes... ...sigh... explosions causing explosions that's what magic is about :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.