1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

how do you beat the battle arena?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Eyebreaker7, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I suppose it depends on which end you're looking at. Anyway, this is a debate for a different thread, let's get back to the battle square advice eh?

2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Oh Yes. For those interested take a look:

You can do it right till you meet Oswald at his landing outside the Underdark. You can tell him you still have things to do, when he wants to take of.

For those who are not aware of the items you can win in Battle Square, take a look of this:

Rank 1: Dragon's Belt (+3 Reflex save)

Rank 2: Potion of Holy Transference (+2 Wisdom, -1 Dexterity)

Rank 3: Abishai Hide Armor (Medium Armor wth 5/+1 damage reduction, +7 total bonus)

Rank 4: Boots of Grounding (6/- electrical resistance)

Rank 5: Throwing Axe of Shocking Burst (returning axe with +5 enchantment, +1d6 electrical damage and 10% of additional 1d10 electrical damage)

Rank 6: Club of Disruption +3 (+5 enchantment, Undead and outsiders are destroyed if they fail Fortitude saving throw)

Rank 7: Ice Spear +4 (+4 to hit, to dam, encht, cast Icelance 1/day);

Rank 8: Composite Longbow of Empowerment (random bonus to stats when struck in melee)

Rank 9: Aegis Scroll, Wand of the Dead (50 Animate Dead charges);

Rank 10: Resurrection Scroll, Short Sword of Brilliance +5 (negates Armor and Shield bonuses)

Grand Prize for completing all ranks: Bracers of Icelandic Pearl (Armor +4, DEX -2, cast Water Elem, Cone of Cold, Horrid Wilting 1/day)

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    why do you say plural? you only get to use 1 character for each battle. at least that's what's happening to me.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It's only cheating in an unpatched game. If you have your game patched the spell works as described.

5. AjaX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

True, the patcher makes it weaker, but its hellishly powerful anyway. Its fine to use on a single char, such as a devoted sneak attacker or scout, but not for a whole party. To me, its like using Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to collect monsters around a char and bombard the living **** out of them. Quick, easy, and requiring not the least bit of brainpower or game management. What's the point of playing if you're gonna use these tactics?

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    TACTICS is the operative word there! HOWEVER, if you want to discuss what constitutes cheating in the game then start a new thread on the board. This one isn't here for debate, it's here because somebody wants advice and I know I'm as guilty as everyone else for starting arguments but please finish it now and get back on subject!

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    To be honest it's simple enough for a 4 or so member party. Reload against harder monsters/crits, be patient, etc. Can't say the same for 6 member parties, though. It should still be doable, but it'd be like trying to guess a 50-sided die roll and not stopping 'til you get it right.

8. AjaX Gems: 4/31

Number of party members doesn't matter, only 1 char does the fighting. The others are locked in a separate room, and become entirely inaccessible.

9. Ironhawk Skylord

True.

Except for the times where a Greater Feyr or other outsider teleports in where your remaining party are, and they have to finish it off.

10. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What I didn't like about the battle arena was the sheer number of these challenges. I'd have to calculate it to figure out how many of these mosters you'd have to face, but I'm sure it amounts to hundreds of battles.
    I never completed these challenges fairly: the first time I just ctrl+Y killed most monsters, and in HoF I just used the 'Skip Battle Squares' option added by a mod.
    I guess I just lacked the patience for it. I love the game to bits, but I do want a change of scenery, so I get the feeling that I'm progressing.

Modjahed likes this.
  11. AjaX Gems: 4/31

Its 25 battles per rank, times 10 for the number of ranks. That's 250 battles. If you include the reloads, it should come to somewhere around 600 battles easily (fought or unfought, depending on how far into a minute you reload).

12. Ironhawk Skylord

Yeah. It does take a lot of patience.

But I end up doing it every time anyway because of the prizes.

I need to rent a life. :D

13. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

It gets pretty tedious after the easy ranks. When I went through it, I used Stoneskin, Improved Invis, Champion Strength, Haste and probably one or two other buffs that I cannot remember right now on my Barbarian using Power Attack 5. I think it took about 2 or 3 days for me to finally finish it. It's definitely worth it as there are a number of items that you get that you would use for quite a while afterwards.

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The point is this: Experience. The more party members you have, the less each member will get.

With only one character doing all the fighting it makes more sense that a higher level character is gonna have a much easier time in the battle squares than a lower level character, right? Unless you've only filled the other party slots with mule characters.

Which is why the squares can be very difficult for 6 member parties. Especially if you use mainly ECL races.

15. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not to mention if you do all the battles you end up with a BUNCH o' money when you sell everything you don't need.

GOLD. . :money:. . SHINY SHINY GOLD ! ! ! (Uhmm, sorry, my dwarven side got a little out of control there):rolling:

16. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Just curious - did the author get through the BS already?

If not, I need to know, if he is in Normal or HoF mode?

17. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    i made it through the battle arena. i just did the first set of battles to get the key and that was it.

18. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Good decision =) It saves so much time in front of the monitor.

19. Silvery

Media:
    I always use the scripts and every single time I forget to turn them off for this so if I'm using a guardian script, the character always wanders off to see his friends. You'd think I'd have learnt by now!

20. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Well, I just made it through the battle squares a second time now (with my second party). By the time I got to rank 9, I got really annoyed and turned the difficulty level to the easiest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.