1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo 3 Designer Explains Why Necromancer Was Cut...

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]... and hints at a return. Here's a snip:

Although many “Diablo” fans have expressed fondness for the Necromancer from “Diablo II,” lead “Diablo III” designer Jay Wilson confirmed to MTV Multiplayer that the character class will not appear in the initial release of the game.

When the team was choosing which classes to include in the long-awaited sequel for Blizzard’s best-selling action-RPG series, they decided to create a brand-new one — the Witch Doctor. And with only five classes in the game, “Diablo III” just didn’t have room for two curse-dealing, pet-wielding classes.

Read on for Blizzard's explanation. Isn't the witch doctor intersecting a bit too much with Warcraft? I guess they're kinda hitting the walls with the magic classes...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

No Necro?!? What the F, Blizzard?!?!? :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :flaming:

3. Alura Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Aww... they finally make it so you can be both genders for all classes and then they cut the necromancer... such blasphemy. >.<

A game like Diablo needs a necromancer or a demonologist or something along those lines.

The witch doctor doesn't seem that bad, but I prefer the pure evilness (or at least anti-heroness) of necromancers.

I've always been hoping for Diablo to have their classes use both genders, and when I heard the good news, I got excited about the thought of making a dark necromatic mistress. Now I have to settle with a witch doctoress...

4. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Necromancer was great, though I preferred the pain ol' Sorcerer from DI. Not happy about the Witch Doctor as a replacement though because the more Blizzard franchises exchange ideas, the worse the games become.

I found WCIII so insultingly bad I dropped all WC related games and never will pick up another. DII wasn't all that outside of multiplayer (where it rocked) but it sure had some cool characters.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Point is that every class and gender take up programming time and cutscenes. It is better to do 5 good as say 7 less. I think that the general public only play a game once and choose a more classic hero like paladin or mage.

So if dropping the necromancer means that the other classes are better done, fine whit me. In an expansion it can be brought back. It is a class that I never play.

6. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm still wondering at their reasoning. This is from the article :
    “Our approach for classes in ‘Diablo III’ is that we don’t have a strong desire to bring back classes from the previous game,” Wilson told me. “The goal is to try and give people new gameplay and not just re-hash old gameplay. We’re not just making a ‘Diablo II’ with updated 3D graphics.”

So, they drop the necro but keep the barbarian:confused: With what looks like updated versions of the same powers??

How is that NOT bringing back classes from the previous game??

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    From the trailers I have seen, it appears that the Witch Doctor is a cross between the Necromancer and the Druid. That suggests that NEITHER of those classes will be seen in D3. Also, while the name Barbarian is the same as what was in D2, it appears that the similarities end there. All the skills have been redone.

In keeping with D2, there will be two melee characters (barbarian is confirmed as one of them, and there has been talk about a class called the knight as the other), two spell casters (witch doctor is confirmed, and some type of elementally based caster will almost certainly be the other) and one missile using character (rumored to be the Ranger class).

Just like the barbarian is totally redone except for the name, don't expect the Ranger to be a modified version of the Amazon, the Knight to be a modified Paladin, or the yet-to-be-named Elemental caster to be a modified Sorceress.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As developers say the they redone something to make it better I always hold my breath. So many times it means reinventing the wheel.

I think diablo3 will never life up to expectation like more icon sequels.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

That would be freaking nice.

10. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, the Barbarian in the trailer seems mostly the same to me. Leap attack, Whirlwind and some kind of Bash... Which is rather disappointing. I've never liked the Barbarian.

On the other hand, the Witch Doctor doesn't seem too impressive (except for the zombie wall. That was so cool, lol).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.