1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Name The Bhaalspawn (perhaps slightly spoilerish)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Marceror, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm not sure if this has been done before (I'm guessing that it probably has), but I've been trying to think of the names of all the Bhaalspawn in the BG series that I possibly can. There's a score of them, or 20, right? So how many are actually in the game?

Here are the ones that came to mind. Please add others that you are aware of, and I will update the list.

The Score of Mortal Progeny
    1. Protagonist
    2. Imoen
    3. Sarevok
    4. Illasera
    5. Gromnir Il-Khan
    6. Yaga-Shura
    7. Sendai
    8. Abazigal
    9. Balthazar
    10. Gavid - Unassuming guy you meet in your Planar Pocket
    11. Viekang
    12. Chinchilla (rabbit/werewolf) - Marching Mountains
    13. Toop the Brave (xvart) - Marching Mountains
    14. Merlinious - Marching Mountains
    15. Tibbit - Marching Mountains
    16. Asmay Jahag - The woman fleeing the Saradush palace through the prison
    17. Guy from opening movie of BG1 (“you will be first”)
    18. Oris Nimblefinger - Halfling in Saradush
    19. Alexander Ralisar (human brought to Saradush by Melissan)
    20. Karun the Black (mage), Berena Elkan (warrior), Eler Had (Rogue) – Bhaalspawn allied with Gromnir

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... my memory is a disaster, but here goes :p

Viekang (teleporting guy, later met in the tavern in Saradush)
    the woman that is fleeing the Saradush palace when you arrive there through the prison
    you meet a few on the Marching Mountains map (werewolf, kobold... not sure which others)

3. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Gavid is the chap in the Pocket Plane.

There are lots of Bhaalspawn in Saradush. I think all of those you fight with Gromnir are supposedly Bhaalspawn (Melissan seems to indicate that is the case), as is the woman in the dungeon below, Alexander Relisar standing by the magic shop, Viekang, and the halfling fellow outside the temple. But it's inferred there are actually more.

And yes, then we have the joke mini-Bhaalspawn posse in the Marching Mountains. (Rabbit/werewolf, xvart, kobold and goblin).

However, if you do some digging (I think it actually comes up in Sarevok's diary, though I'm not sure if it's the original or a mod version), there are hundreds of Bhaalspawn - a fact born out by the end movie of Baldur's Gate. However, there are only 20 of any real note. We know Sarevok killed a few (including the unlucky fellow in the intro movie of Baldur's Gate), and Illasera hunts them and keeps their heads as trophies. Of the powerful ones, the PC, Sarevok, the Five and Imoen are the survivors of those 20 - the others have likely been killed by that point.

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Unamed guy Sarevok kills during the opening cinematic of BG.

"You will be the first, and I shall be the last"

5. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Also you'd assume that there were tens/hundreds/thousands?? sacrificed at birth as part of Bhaal's plan.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Well you'd only manage to reliably sacrifice a Bhaalspawn at birth if the mother was a member of the priesthood. Many Bhaalspawn would have been born of otherwise uninvolved parents and these would not have been sacrificed.

Of course, that does make me wonder if Bhaal's first move in Avatar form was to impregnate every priestess he had, as they would be far more reliable. Did every priestess have a child? And how many were there?

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The only person who would likely have reliable knowledge would be Amelyssan, she was the one charged with resurrecting Bhaal when all the essence was gathered at the source. So there must have been a way to gauge how much was left attached to a Bhaalspawn.

However, it is implied in the game each Bhaalspawn had a varying amount, accounting for levels of power in each Child of Bhaal and why Imoen could get discounts on ressurections.:rolleyes:

I am doubting all priestesses would be impregnated, at least not all at once... for one that would simply raise suspicion and raise awareness of Bhaals plan before it was too late to stop, for another it would put a lot of his clergy out of action!

Though I'm sure a great many did have a Bhaalspawn, your own mother in the game was a priestess afterall, as was Sarevoks mother.

8. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    The Guy in your pocket plane is named Gerth
    The werewolf in the marching mountains is Chinchilla, also with him is Toop the Brave, which if I'm not mistaken is the Xvart. Cant remember the names of the others though.

9. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I always assumed the Imoen-Sarevok discussion on death and ressurection was an error by the developers, afterall every other bhaalspawn which died turned to dust.
    The only other alternative i could think up was that irenicus turned her into a bhaalspawn as part of his experimentation to steal the power of bhaal.

Maybe its because i've seen 'The One' too many times, but i assumed that the bhaalspawns power was relative to how many others were alive. The goal of the 5 (as they knew it) was to thin out the ranks and have all the power focused into them.
    I think the restored bhaalspawn powers tweak backs this up, because after the PC kills one of the five his/her power increases, the essence gets split up amongst the survivors.

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Okay, well, so... now it seems odd that Alaundo says there would be a "score of mortal progeny," when there were actually hundreds of them? It sort of makes my list of 20 a bit, well, pointless. I will go ahead and update it with the additions that have been added.

Thanks to those who've posted additional names/references, and to those who've brought this "little inconsistency" in the prophecy to my attention.

11. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think it's the Marching Mountains (not Lonely Mountains) where you meet Toop the Brave and his companions (Toop IS an xvart).

Here's are four. I don't remember there being any more in that group.

Toop - Xvart
    Chinchilla
    Merlinious
    Tibbit

I can't remember what the others were, but I'm sure there was one kobold. The last might have been a tasloi.

12. Marceror

Media:
    Thanks SC. Updated.

13. Cal Jones

Merlinious and Tibbit were a goblin and a kobold (can't remember which is which though) and as I said previously, the Bhaalspawn in the pocket plane is Gavid (Gerth is a shopkeeper in Kuldahar in Icewind Dale).

14. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Seems there are 17 listed so far. Hmm doesn't score mean 20.

"Four score and 10 years ago our forefathers....."

He could be giving an exact number of Bhaalspawn, which means we are pretty close to naming all of them in that case. As soon as the count hits 21, we know that theory is wrong.

15. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

We're already over 20 - Gromnir's throne room is full of Bhaalspawn (atleast 4 cohorts, I remember only one of the names - Halbazer Drin). Then there's the halfling outside of the temple and Alexander Ralisar (or something close) ouside of the Arcana Archives.

16. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Halbazzar Drin is also the the proprietor of Sorcerous Sundries in Baldur's Gate. Same person?

17. Cal Jones

No, this one is a minotaur.

18. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    Oh yeah that's right. Sorry my mistake.

19. Marceror

Media:
    Okay, just so I can say I finished what I started, I've filled all 20 "slots" with various Bhaalspawn I'm aware of. I actually just made it to ToB in my current Improved Anvil runthrough, so I was able to grab the names of the various Bhaalspawn.

20. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Never was clear on how the essence actually worked. When I was at the Wizards forum years ago some folks mentioned that Bhaal would have decreased his divine power by giving it to his children, and this makes sense - it would be the best way to spite his future killer Cyric.

Though, it wasn't only Priestesses of Bhaal who were impregnated, Bhaal raped a lot of women as well. Melissan as the church head wasn't one of them, interestingly enough.

They ret-conn'd that by having Imoen a canon party member, having her never die during the TOTSC Final Save that game with the expansion. Her belt prevented her from dying in BG2 and she only died afterward when her essence was lost.

Theoretically she should have crumbled then after she got her soul back from Bodhi, but meh, I guess the developers didn't think she would die at that point. :/

Personally, I always killed her when I could, even back in BG. I don't like good aligned PCs. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.