1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Online video of the Olympics = Retarded

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Kitrax, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    This is so frustrating!

I missed the 1st half of the Opening Ceremonies on TV, so I went online to watch what I missed. Yeah...easier said than done. NBC is watching all the video sites like a hawk for anything relating to the Olympics. So don't bother looking...you won't find anything except dead links. :bad:

So I go to my local NBC affiliate’s website to look for the video since they've been tooting their own horn for "The most online Olympic videos anywhere on the net". Before I can watch anything though, I had to install M$'s Silverlight plug-in. So I dad, and I found dozens of clips from *outside* the stadium...but nothing from *inside*. Great! What a waste of time. :flaming:

So I go to NBC.com. I found the video, but I can't watch it online - I have to download it....but before I have can do that, I *have* to have to download and install Windows Media Player 11 *first*. Ok, did that, but then NBC tells me WMP11 needs a patch (odd...I downloaded directly from M$, do they not offer the latest installer?). So I finish that, but instead of downloading the file, NBC starts downloading its own program “NBC Direct (beta)” . Whatever, I click ok, and as it’s downloading and installing, ZoneAlarm keeps popping up for a dozen different things, which if I block any of them, the stupid program won’t install.
    So finally, after jumping though more hoops than should be necessary to watch and F***ing video, I finally downloaded between 50-75MB worth of useless M$ and NBC crap just to find out that NBC Direct is actually a P2P client that’s overloaded with DRM…and I only have 48 hours to finish watching the video once it starts…all that for a *FREE* video?!?!? Seriously, WTF is wrong with NBC? :bang:

So for the next two weeks, I’m going to have to leave this pile of garbage installed on my computer just in case I miss anything else that’s worth watching. So to end my rant, I leave fair warning, if you want online video of the Olympics, DON’T BOTHER!!! It’s seriously not worth the effort, hassle, or time. :nono:

[Update:] So after the video finally finished downloading, it wasn't even what I wanted! :flaming: It was a 5 minute re-cap of the Opening Ceremonies! :bang: However, the link from NBC said:
    Olympics | Opening Ceremony
    (Watch the Opening Ceremony.)

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted...but that's not what you get...nowhere does it say it's only a 5 minute re-cap. :deadhorse:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't you hae a VCR, DVR, PVR, or something to record it yourself?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are foreign sites you know, that have the rights outside the US. Pretty sure you can get something from the British. The Swedish PBS has a really awesome Olympic site where I am sure you can find pretty much everything but it is in Swedish so it can be rough.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LOL! That's exactly what I was wondering. :D

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Check with CBC or TSN, they have rights in Canada.

CBC

TSN

That may help...

6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

The BBC website has wonderful coverage, with 6 different video channels - but I think it may be for UK residents only.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I watched some tennis and badminton on CBC's site today. The full screen mode doesn't seem to work, so I was just barely able to track the ball during the rallies.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Sorry for the late reply guys...training has sucked up all my time. :bad: I expected this thread to be moved...but I could decided where it would go.
    Not yet. As you may or may not know, I hate Cable/Satellite companies as you can see from my blog here...so no DVR. As for PVR, I'm still waiting for ATI to come out with a decent TV Wonder card...and who still has a VCR? :p

Anyhoo...thanks for the links, I'll check them out once I get some free time. :rolling:

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

How rude :p I still have a VCR and it's still a convenient way to record 8 hours worth of TV, especially when picture quality is not of paramount importance. It is getting more difficult finding tapes though...

10. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

voloudak: you can actually get your VCR recordings over on a HDD, if you can digg the lowered quality next time you tape over something

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.