1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Saber, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Saw it in IMAX this morning... it was mindblowing. Spectacular. Amazing. Perfect.

Heath Ledger's performance was beyond perfect (and I am not saying it because he is dead... a lot of people have been saying that this movie has been getting only hype from his death. This performance proves that the movie has merits on its own), Bale was good (I still hate his batman voice, but I can deal), Aaron Eckhart was really good, and the rest of the cast performed excellently as well.

It was visually commanding, the script was well-written, the dialogue well performed, and the action believable (to an extent, obviously... the CGI used was not prevalent nor was it cheesy).

10/10, see it right away :)

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Sounds good. I may be seeing it this coming Thursday, so thanks for the recommendation.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I loved it, saw it opening day at 4:30, right after work. It was gritty, it was everything a movie based on a comic book should be. The plot was excellent but not juvenile, the acting superb, and the writing was solid. There were a few elements I thought were not as strong as they could be, but criticism is easy. 9.5 out of 10 from this reviewer. See it but don't take any squeamish kids to it (I don't know what it is rated but I wouldn't let a kid under 12 see it, generally speaking.)

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Simply the most well thought-out, best written, most brilliantly acted and thoroughly entertaining super-hero movie ever made. That is not hyperbole. It's worth the hype.

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

They are reporting that it made $155.4 million in the US for the opening weekend. Does anybody know how much it made outside the US?

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Heath Ledger is one of the best villains in recent memory (Javier Bardem edges him out. I think. It's a little difficult to compare the two, as The Joker and...that unstoppable Death Guy from No Country are rather dissimilar).

The movie is astonishingly good. Summer blockbusters are simply not supposed to be this well written/acted/etc.

One thing; don't take your kids to see this movie. It ain't for them. Really, it should be rated R, but I guess leaving out the gore and (more importantly) nudity makes it okay for the kiddies. The rating system am fail, it am.
    Yes. That.

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I was almost (almost!) disappointed because my whole class loves Heath Ledger (based on high status of a Knights Tale, lol) so we all wanted to see Heath one last time... That was not Heath, that was the Joker. There is no Heath there which is what makes it absolutely incredible.

Christian Bale was good as always, but yes, I couldn't not make fun of his Batman voice. Aaron Eckhart probably had the second best performance. Maggie Gyllenhaal was welcome over Katie Holmes since she actually has talent (well, katie has some physical talent :grin:).

Epic. Great. WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha, saw it a second time today... it is still amazing! There was only one moment I noticed cheesy/corny dialogue that they could have removed....

Spoilers...

All of the cop's lines from the Armored truck (when they are transporting Harvey)... "This is *not* good," etc, were just poorly acted, it was a poor attempt at comedy.

Of course, those 4 lines can't detract from the fact that the movie rocked my world.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Those were bad... and I hate how much the people in the theater with me laughed at them.

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Saw it earlier today. I agree with most of the above comments- it was very good, especially Ledger's performance as the Joker.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Perfect movie.

The only way I could recognize Heath Ledger was by his hair. Otherwise, he was perfect. He WAS the Joker.

It's a shame he died, because he probably just got himself another boatload of fans.

I remember when I first heard that Heath Ledger was cast for the Joker - I remember me and my friend sitting in Computer Studies class going "WTF?! Heath freaking Ledger?! This sucks, man!". How wrong we were.

12. martaug Gems: 23/31

:yot: What are your thoughts about christian bale playing john conner in the new terminator movie? I think he will do pretty good & the guy they got to be the T-800(arnie) terminator is freakin huge!
    He is another austrian bodybuilder that is about 2-3" taller than arnie. here's a picture http://www.bodybuilders.com/kickin15.jpg In fact he played arnie in the '05 movie "see arnie run"

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Watched it again... this time at Imax! The visuals are absolutely amazing at an Imax, it's incredible. Seeing the movie a second time showed me a bunch of stuff I didn't really like though. Such as...

Pretty much everything with Two-Face. I did not like him at all, Aaron Eckhart does a terrible job as Two Face... Makes me wonder if he still deserves my second best performance praise!

There's a lot more that I didn't like, but I will refrain in listing them because it would tarnish and otherwise great movie.

Edit: I have something that I'm wondering if anybody else noticed (even in the probability that I'm wrong). In the banquet scene when it first goes to it if you look to the right of the screen (from where the main characters are) you see a person with their face obscured by another head. You can see the hair though and it looks just like Heath's, with the longish center part kinda curled. I think it's intentional since it's the semi-obvious, but not really. I dunno though, I bet I'm just crazy.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Loved the Joker, through and through. Brilliant, creepy, and yes, stole the show completely. One of the best villain performances ever and gets extra points from me since it's the Joker as it should be, so for me this topped Bardem's performance.

There were some things I would've preferred to be different, but those things were mainly the kind of stuff you just can't find from a hollywood-flick anyhow. I liked how creepy they managed to make the appearance of Two-Face, but yah, the acting could've been better IMO.

The gritty realism compared to other superhero movies was good beyond measure. Almost plausible, almost. No superpowers there and even how Dent got his face messed up was more credible than ever before.

15. Valens Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    WOW WOW WOW! This isn't a movie I would rate 10/10, rather; 100/10! I've seen countless movies, including all blockbusters, and I have officially named my favorite movie ever. Hell, I like The Joker more than Batman now. I simply cannot put into words how much I enjoyed this movie, I even had to watch it a second time by going to the bathroom and waiting about 5 minutes till the next showing and slipping into another auditorium (hehe, first time I do that without paying). I'll be seeing it a third time this weekend. Those who have not seen it yet: don't miss a piece of movie theater history!

The saddest part is when SPOILER:

Joker tells Batman at the end how they are meant to be each other's opposite forever, because neither can kill the other and we all know the Joker can always escape prison. However, we all know that won't happen with Heath's tragic death. ALAS, what a loss!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Saw it as well. Great movie. Abit drawn out here and there, and I think that Bale didn`t do his best work in this one. Ledger however, was great. Way better than Jack Nicholson`s Joker. Allthough Ledger did have ALOT better script to work with. Overall 8 out of 10. Best superhero-movie ever made. So far.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Saw this last weekend: fantastic, fantastic film, and Heath Ledger's Joker is the best villain I've seen in a cinema. Bale does sound constipated as Batman, though - I thought he might've sorted that out since Batman Begins. :shake:

18. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I don't really see what all the hype was about. I wasn't disappointed, but then again, I also wasn't "wowed". It was a good action movie and exactly what comic book movies should be like.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Um, yeah, it was a very good movie. I wouldn't call it brilliant though, and the amount of hype surrounding it is a bit much. I don't feel it said anything beyond what was shown at face-value on the screen though. It was a very exciting/entertaining and well acted action movie, but that's about it - not what I expected with all the hype.

20. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Saw it last night. And yes, I too think Heath was amazing as The Joker. The only fear I have is if the person playing him in future (if they revive him again) will taint the outstanding performance that Heath gave.

I think he deserves a spot right up there with Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith) for one of the best villians ever played.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.