1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate Comic Book

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by flysoup, Jul 4, 2008.

1. flysoup Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Surprisingly good, reckon it is the comic adaptation of your evil game?

3. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I agree, it is better than expected- I'm sure I've seen bits before though.

I'm not particularly fond of some of the faces- I think it is something to do with the shape of the mouth and the way the eyes don't always both look the same way. Also, a minor quibble with comic 10- I struggle to see a Xvart saying 'humanoid'. Still, both of those comments aside, it is fairly good. ;)

Oh, incidentally, all of the portraits you've done make the characters look like berserkers to me! Appropriate for Minsc, perhaps slightly less so for Tiax. :p

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Really fine artwork

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since skulls are mentioned in the comic several times, it'd probably be good to correct the spelling (i.e. skulls, NOT sculls).

Also, Kagain's name is also misspelled.

Aside from that, not bad.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The artwork isn't bad...not great, but I'd say it's in the top 25% of web comics. Misspelled words are irksome though. :bad: :rolling:

7. flysoup Gems: 1/31

Hi folks and forgive my late reply.

The likings and dislikings have been equal when it comes to my artwork. And that is fine by me since the taste differs in each and every mind.

I am using simple lines and a fast style since the everyday life doesn't always allow me to put the amount of time into the artwork that I could hope for.

And that eyes looks different on each side of the face as one mentioned above, that is how it looks for real. Check in the mirror and compare both sides of your face and see the difference ;)

The spelling and gramma issue is not the best but that is due to that I am swedish and I am correcting the errors every time someone points out them for me. If I could afford to pay someone that know both swedish and english to translate the comic then belive me I would.

And the Xvarts in the game actually speak the words humanoid scullsucker :)

The comic is based from my fantasy, improvisation, the game and minor parts from the novel.

Aside form this I really am grateful for the constructive criticism since I learn alot from it. Also thanks for all the comments and good speed to you all both the ones that likes my comic but to the ones that don't as well:)

8. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

What an awesome effort. I'm delighted to see the results. The youtube-preview looks great with the moving critters. Love it. :)

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I like it. Artwork's smooth and very nice.
    Only problem I have with it is with the depiction of mouths. They seem somehow...hmmm, I don't know. Strange. Too lippy, perhaps...

Other than that, good stuff!

10. flysoup Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the inspiring comments friends. About the mouth issue I can actually agree to that they look weird. I think it is due to my insecurity on how to decide the style and technique to use when drawing a mouth.

I hope that my misstakes here and there doesn't draw down the overall feeling of the comic.

Again many thanks to you all for the constructive criticism and the inspiring comments. I will start the crafting of page 15 today if the real life cycle allows me.

(edited the scull and kagain typos mentioned above.)

Good speed!

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Is this from an evil/neutral game or the game books? I remember that seeing a mention of a BG novel with the protagonist having a similar name.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's the name that the official novels (if you can call them that) used, yes.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I once worked with an old Algerian man named Abdel, he made the best couscous.

14. flysoup Gems: 1/31

I improvise the comic based on gaming experiences but mostly from whatever falls into my mind. I do some research though so that the npc's are close to the ones as we know them.

I have taken the protagonist name from the novels and also the visual appearance of the protagonist as a dark long haired, tall and muscled individual.

I borrowed small bits from his personality as well, humorless and always willing and eager to join a fight.

He is chaotic neutral in my comic as I think that a Bhaalspawn probably would have such a alignment even though he would have been raised within Candlekeep.

He has his heritage from the lord of murder after all and I am sure that such a thing would affect ones personality.

Hmm maybe I should make a scene with couscous involved in my comic :)

Good speed and happy adventuring to you all!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  15. flysoup Gems: 1/31

16. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Awesome. Can't want to see Minsc and Boo.

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Nice art for Tiax! So THAT's where Ghouly came from? :D

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Agreed, I like number 15.

19. flysoup Gems: 1/31

Indeed that is the birth of his summon Ghoul/Ghast ability :)

Actually without leaving to many spoilers Boo will appear on page 16 that I am currently brainstorming about.

Glad you like it :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.