1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinion: Most Difficuly Lich

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by IronEagle, Oct 25, 2000.

1. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I dont wanna hear any pansy stories about how you made him cast all his good spells, went to sleep and came back.

Im talking about a raw fight.
    you him and his gate friend.. hehe

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In all honesty, I haven't read many messages of someone actually taking on the Liches fairly. Basically, it's off the screen until their Time Stop spell is done, attack, leave the area, rest and go back, rest, etc.

Sure people want to say they killed the Lich, which they've done, but only the brave will actually kill a Lich the right way.

It's just like all the Dragon posts. Off the screen, use the fog of war exploit and cast Cloudkill 4-6 times. That ain't nothing to be posting about and be proud of at the sametime.

Syl...

3. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

The most difficult Lich for my last party was the one in the GATE District. Yep, the others went down fairly smooth with my last party but then again, my last party was probably the most powerful party I've ever had in any RPG.

The reason why I have so much trouble with the Lich in the GATE District(inside the INN) is becasue of.... CLOSE PROXEMITIES!!! It's a SMALL room and any area attacks by my party are forbidden! And naturally the LICH loves to FIRE STORM everybody without a second thought.

Nevertheless my last party (right after casting all the BASIC protection spells and having my Fighter 'dope up' on potions) charge in to fight the LICH. So my spellcasters do NOTHING but BREACH, PIERCE,SECRET WORD, RE MIRROR IMAGE and HEAL.

Minsc attacks w/ +3 Throwing Axe and my Fighter full of testosterone charges in for the challenge and does the bulk of the damage. Sure my party leaves with RED taking up a portion of thier portraits but WE PREVAIL.

4. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

you dont use the talking sword? thats to bad...

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

Oh and trust me it can be done to attack and win with out running! (it does take practically every spell a level 12 mage has) not to mention 2 others with lotsa summoning spells. 2 guys with negativeplane cast on them till after he casts his death spells. Then just keep firing in lower resistance... now i hope you have that talking sword because its practically the only one that can hit him yet... ALSO, those +5 darts help alot!

6. Judicator Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For me, the most difficult Liche is the demi liche, in the underdark... fortunatly, you don't have to kill it to get the silver dragon eggs. phew! :)

I did not notice that the Liche in the Gate district was that difficult... but it's probably because I discovered it during the chapter 7...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Man! That lich in the gate district surprised the hell out of me! I was innocently exploring a secret door and all of a sudden a crazy lich is attacking me! Needless to say I was completely unprepared, so I ran back out into the inn. Well, the lich followed me (and the screams of the patrons when he showed were hilarious!), so I ran back down to his lair and was able to pillage his chest before he followed again... Bolt of glory seemed to work on him, but breach had no effect, and he was protected by improved mantle so I ran again. It went on like this (no resting in between at least) until I was able to damage him with weapons (he also had a contingency with protection from magic weapons on him - run again!) I was finally able to kill him in the end, but you sure don't want to face a lich all unprepared like that! Have to admit I felt like a group of six clucking chickens bristling with armor and weapons!

8. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Hehe, I ran into that Lich by the gates in the second chapter. Needless to say, I didn't beat him then. Instead, I ran in with Yoshimo hidding in shadows, opened up the chest at the back, took the sword and got the heck out of there.

9. Grumblebelly Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I found the Gate lich way too early to tackle him fairly. We kept running in and out of the room, wasting his spells, until we finally just rushed him. (Run back and forth too much and he'll follow you to the inn, usually killing everyone around) He managed to get another Time Stop and Gate off, but we cleaned his clock and then polished off the pit fiend for another cool 16,000 XP. I had cast protection from evil 10' prior to the fight. After the lich was down, I don't think the fiend attacked me.

One of the many (and I mean many) times I tried that battle, I dispelled his protection from evil when the pit fiend was next to him. The fiend attacked the lich! Now that was cool.

10. DailyRich Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Kangaxx is the bane of my existence. The others weren't too bad -- protection from evil, haste, and a wizard slayer did the trick quite nicely. I just paused right as they were appearing, moved my tanks into position around them, and then attacked before the dialog would start. Good for at least a hit or three at the start.

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The only one i've killed is the one in the bridge district. The party was around level 10, and i managed it without the run away and rest tactic. The fire storm did a lot of damage, but in the end, rightousness prevailed :cool:

12. Armin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

No doubt for me: Kangaxx is his demi-lich form is close to impossible, if the party is a bit low in level and/or missing a few vital spells.

He cheats, too :p

According to my Monstrous Manual, a demi-lich can cast 5-8 "trap the soul" spells, well Kangaxx casts imprisonment at will and to no limits. (And worst of all, imprisoned summoned monsters still count towards the summoning limit).

According to my MM, a paladin with a vorpal sword or +4 or better weapon should do normal damage - Keldorn with Carsomyr does 3 points per hit only. No other weapon I had *scratches* him. (Well, maybe staff of the magi would do 1 damage per hit, but with mage THAC0? ;) )

According to MM a holy word spell should do 5D6 damage, it doesn't touch Kangaxx. Other spells that should work aren't in the game (forgetfulness, shatter) or not available in early chapters (power word kill works according to MM, had no way to test). All the classical undead killers that finish his normal lich form easily enough (sunray, false dawn, sol's searing orb) don't work.

Shield of the Archon and Spell trap don't work long enough and are caster only (none of those had a weapon that worked), Kangaxx switches target in fight and thus can't be killed by a fighter while the caster absorbs imprisonment. Spell reflection doesn't work, as Kangaxx just reflects back (and his reflection lasts longer).

Minsc and Kurgan weren't in my party (berserk makes immune to imprisonment), so how the hell did I kill him? :p

Traps.
    As simple as that.
    My main char was a swashbuckler...

Only problem: you can't set them in front of the sarcophagus, as the normal lich would trigger them all, and thus waste them.

Nifty tidbit: ring of the ram works on magic resistant critters, does damage and knocks back (found this out against an Ultharid in a crunch...)

So I set 4 traps in the northern corner of the surrounding walkway, and then opened the sarcophagus with all chars standing ready.
    Killed the normal Lich with 2 Sunrays (one from Daystar one from Anomen), and used the short break to drink an oil of speed with Keldorn and retreat all other chars to the sutheastern corner.
    When the demilich appeared, Keldorn hit him 2 times with Carsomyr (6 damage), resisted his death howl, and Nahlia used the ring of the ram on Kangaxx. Did 17 damage and pushed him into the corner with the 4 waiting traps. 28 more damage, true death...

Demilich billiard if you want :D

13. Darkmoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There are 2 protection from magic scrolls (in the adventure mart I believe) I had one of them left in my scroll case, so I just used it on my main character, a paladin, then had my paladin with the holy avenger, Minsc with hammer of thunderbolts (not the crom fayer, the pre bad assed hammer) and the flail of ages tank him, while Arie (sp?) and Edwin let loose breach and pierce magic and lower resistance over and over, with Jahera throwing out anything remotly offencive at him, while Yoshi let loose with the tugian bow and arrows of biting. Alot of battlespam moving real fast so I am not sure if anyone except my paladin was hurting him, but Kargaxx eventually fell before me, and did not even hurt me too bad since he kept casting imprisonment over and over and over and over on my paladin who was protected from magic :)

14. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When fighting kangaxx the sling of everard +5 also does 1 dames per hit and the short bow of Gesen hurt him too. Crom faeyr also hurts him.

I had viconia use one of the protect from magic scrolls and whack him with crom faeyr while imoen and nalia shot him with the gesen bow and the other one that doesn't need ammo (not sure if that one hurt him at all). and aerie used the sling. my swashbuckler was cowering in the corner as none of my long swords were of any use and my traps were used to kill his lich body.

darkmoon: i don't think breach, pierce magic or lower resistance have any effect on his demi lich form.

15. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

3 lower resistance and the +3 katana with 6 spots in it... and you can do 20 damage a hit to the guy... (with the help of holy might, fire giant str potion, and protect from evil.)

16. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Are there only 3 Liches in the game or are these three just in Athkatla?

Syl...

17. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

there are 4 in athkatla. 3 are part of a quest and the other guards a sword. (spoiler locations ahead) there is another lich in the drow city.

they are in the bridge district (next to house the kidnappers are in, beware of traps on the outside doors), docks district (house next to minor thieves guildhouse), temple district (sewers where the cult outcasts are), and gate district (behind hidden door in the inn).

18. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

There are also a couple more in the Underdark. More accurately one is in the Underdark cavern area (he's a real pain too!) and then there is one in Ust Natha the Drow City. I completely forgot about him until I just battled him again today. He is almost designed with cheat code... He is extremely dangerous if you can't bring him down in 1-2 rounds. That is until you find the most powerful spell in the game. POWER WORD SILENCE, cast with the robe of Venca it's instantaneous delivery from a gruelling fight!

19. Archangel Guest

I really didn't think those liches ARE all that and a bag of potato chips.
    They went down pretty esily even without the cheat codes I.E "CreateItem","SetCurrentXP" etc.

20. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I only fought the one hidden in the soul trap in the Underdark...nasty guy. He had all of my party either dead or panicked, except my main character, who was stunned. The lich then magically attacked my sorcerer...who has the cloak of mirroring. The lich essentially commited involuntary suicide. Was kinda weird, but I'm not complaining.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.