1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Going for the first time...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Koki, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yes, there are still people who never played Torment!

Since apparently everyone I know either never played it either or dropped it alltogether(wtf) or don't remember anything, I have to ask you guys.

- I heard that INT and WIS are "overpowered". Is this true?
    - Even though I played many games using 2E before, I am quite confused about Torment's system; either it's heavy customized, or almost every single thing it does is an exception to norm?
    - Is XP divided between party members?
    - How can I change my character class? How many classes are available?
    - Is spell system "normal"? Compared to BG, for example? I faintly remember seeing some spells pause the game and even long animations a'la Final Fantasy. Is it usual cast/rest or some variation?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    - Wisdom rules. It grants bonus to xp. Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma open dialog options (just as in BG) but the dialog options in PS:T have huge xp bonuses.
    - It's very customized. The Nameless One does not follow the rules.
    - IIRC, combat experience is divided -- but combat experience is a small percentage of the experience you gain. Most xp is awarded as quest experience (everyone gets the same amount no matter how may characters are present).
    - You start as a fighter and will have the option to change as part of the plot. You may change between classes (thief and mage) with the correct dialog. The dialog only comes up with the right npc's in your party.
    - Spell system is pretty much the same as in BG.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Better late than never! :) You're in for a fantastic ride.

They're not "overpowered" as such - they're actually useful (as opposed to, say, IWD). You can easily play the game and finish it with low INT and WIS, but these two stats are the ones that give you the most interesting dialogue options so ignoring them means skipping PST's best bits. WIS determines how many of your old memories you get back (so gives you much more information and plot points) and at high WIS you get bonus XP for TNO. I would start with 18 WIS and 16 INT (especially if you plan on playing a mage) but you don't have to dump all your points into WIS, as it can get to the max (25) by the end of the game with tattoos and through certain quests and events.

It's notably different from 2E. TNO for example can multiclass in the 3E sense - so can increase each class independantly of the other and can switch between them at will if certain conditions are met. In other ways it's standard 2E - HP per level, THAC0, AC and the start bonuses follow the usual rules (with a few additional ones, such as the XP bonus from WIS, although only TNO gets this).

Yes, in exactly the same way as in BG and IWD. Also note that TNO's XP bonus applies only to his portion of XP gained and that it does not affect the XP gained by the other members in any way.

You start with the ability to only be a fighter and need to complete certain quests in the Hive before you can switch to Mage or Thief. After you've completed these quests and switched for the first time, you can switch back and forth at will provided certain party members are with you (talking to them will give you the option to switch)

Starting from level 5 (IIRC) the spells start gaining interesting visual effects. Some will pause the game for a few seconds while they occur. Level 8 and 9 spells have much more elaborate visuals involving FMV cutscenes (though they're well integrated into the game and you may not notice the switch). The animations are never as long as FF (nothing longer than half a minute, at most). In terms of how the actual system works (visual FX aside) it's the same as BG and IWD (memorise, cast, scribe scrolls for mages, etc), although some of the items you can scribe spells from are not necessarily scrolls.

Have fun with the game! In some ways I envy you. Later playthroughs are never quite the same. The first one is special.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Experience is divided in most cases. Some exceptions are when The Nameless One regains a memory or in some cases when he learns something through dialog, in which case he takes all the experience. Example:

When Nameless learns spells from Dak'kon as part of learning the teachings of Zerthimon.

You switch to thief or mage (or back to fighter) by speaking to trainers in these classes. When you have had the initial training, some of your companions can train you to a class you have already held:

Once you are out of the Mortuary, you can find a fighter trainer - Porphyron - in the Northwestern part of the Hive. To train as a mage, talk to Old Mebbeth in Ragpicker's Square (she'll want you to run some errands for her first). To train as a thief, speak to Ratbone in Ragpicker's Square (he'll demand 50 copper pieces for the training).

Once you have Dak'kon in your party, he can switch you between fighter and mage if you've had the initial training. When you get Annah, she can train you as a thief.

Oh, enjoy the game! :)

5. Koki Gems: 5/31

Guess I forgot to thank you guys, I finished the game yesterday.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Care to share your thoughts? :)

7. Koki Gems: 5/31

I applaud the game's story, I applaud the game's NPCs, and I applaud the game's writing. I can't really applaud the game part though. Major complaint: Creating such complex story made it much more linear than other cRPGs. Minor complaints: The combat is confusing because every character in the party is an exception to the ruleset and the items are lacking to say the least.

A very good game in it's own right, but I expected more.

8. Ballad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You are entitled to your own opinion, but I very much think you are wrong. First, while the storyline's undoubtedly more linear than, say Baldur's Gate 2 or Morrowind, the game actually gives you more choice in developing your character's personality than any other cRPG I've ever played. Also, quests and dialogues have genuinely different solutions depending on your actions and preferences. This is a truly unique feature which I haven't seen in any other game I've played (and trust me, I've played a lot).

Second, combat isn't crucial in Planescape: Torment. Your comment left me wondering about your playstyle - perhaps you set a higher value on your hammer than on your senses? The NPCs are primarily there for the plot, not for dishing out super duper DPS. Also, I fail to see your disappointment in the variety of gear the game has to offer - there are so many great and cleverly designed items to choose from. Then again, PS:T is more like an interactive novel than an action driven "RPG" and that may not appeal to everybody. Regardless, it's definitely my favourite computer role playing game of all time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.