1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Warhammer, anyone?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Goli Ironhead, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Oh, indeed, it's quite "great".

So great, in fact, that you have to buy more troops per regiment to get the rank bonus you want. They are releasing nice new packages of five troops, though, but that's still kinda... yeah. This has plenty of downsides, and it seems that it was changed simply because "it looks better" and "five is a strong theme we already have running."

I kid you not, they really say it's because five-wide regiments look so much nicer. And I can hear Ogre Kingdom players seething.

2. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

There is no need to change rules just because a new edition is released (unless you play under more organised environments). Missed out several new 'iterations' because of either cost or finding the old ones more preferable.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I play at the shop where my friend works. He knows the rulebooks just about off by heart. :xx:

So yeah... need the latest :doh:

4. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    I play Warhammer Fantasy mainly, currently assembling a bretonnian army :D despite my love for the fantasy game, I am an avid reader of ANY and ALL fluff for 40k, its like some sort of addiction lol!

For those of you interested in 40k and RP go check out my thread in RP corner (sorry for the self promotion its just I'm not sure how many people actually scroll down as far as RP corner these days :))

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've played Dark Omen. I would gladly play some Warhammer, though the only you can get here is Mark of Chaos or 40K.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've not actually played the Warhammer computer games :hmm: The recent ones are 40K which doesn't really interest me.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Two words: Chaos Undevided.

8. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    @8people and anyone else interested:

The earliest Warhammer computer game I played was Shadow of the horned Rat...which I think came before Dark Omen but was a similar premise...and I never finished it because it was too hard (Damn that rat ogre ripping through my dwarves :() and I don't think it works very well if at all on new computers. If you can get it to work and get a copy though, it's worth a shot as they are fun from what I remember.

The New one Mark of Chaos isn't too bad, it certainly requires some thought, and the heroes are fun to level up (each has three skill trees to choose from) and they can turn battles at crucial moments just like in the TT game, it looks awesome too! I'd say 7/10 overall, not as challenging as SotHR or Dark Omen since it throws gold at you and lets you reinforce your units and army between battles, but then games are alot easier these days I guess :p

Also if anyone cares, people should play Chaos Gate (40k) because it was AMAZING! And also Final Liberation (Epic) because I loved the live action cut scenes and so will you :D

9. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Just bought my third armybook... FULL of intention :D

Alex intends to collect Hordes of Chaos when they are re-released in November, in White Dwarf there is a thing called 'A Tale of Four Gamers' where each month people are given a specific task and a challenge to complete.

(First month was to paint the units WD had given them. 5pts for all done, 3pts for completed late, 0pts for not even starting)

(Second month was to get to 500 points and have at least one battle, 5pts for winning as highest position after a match, 3 for drawing as best result. and 1 for losing all battles.)

We might grab a couple of uni-goers and have our own smaller scale one :rolling: For example, month one getting one core unit and an armybook, month two getting another core unit and a general.

Anyone here interested? :evil:

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Now those were awesome games, Chaos Gate especially. A shame the computer never took as tooled-up a force as the player when you played quick battles.

Do you recall the Assault Cannon? Now there was an over-powered weapon! Perhaps a foreshadowing of what would happen to it in 4th Ed on the table...

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Warhammer - New Skaven Army book released

I was reading the most recent release of White Dwarf and it showcased the new Skaven army. A new version of the Vermin Lord, a Giant Plague Censor Machine you can stick into the middle of a Plague Monk unit, the return of the Ratling Guns and more. Skaven will now have a Rat's chance of winning. The battle report consisted of two 2,000 pt Skaven armies, led by one Grey Seer and one Warlord, going up against a 3,500 point Dwarf army. With a twist that the Skaven were competing vs. each other and the Dwarfs. It was an excellent scenario. Any Skaven players out there? My nephew has collected them for a few years now, but has had dire results in tourney play. Maybe the revamped rules will give Skaven players the edge they have needed for a long time.

12. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] The Vermin Lord model is still the old one.

I have played against Skaven extensively, they can be filthy at times :lol:

CapnCJ plays Skaven on here but I don't know if anyone else does.

The heroes are incredibly cheap now but I haven't read the book in full yet as it's round a friends house.

If your nephew has trouble with Skaven there are a couple of sites out there that are very helpful - one for everyone is Librarium Online as far as I know there is no Skaven-Specific community out there.

One of the main strengths now in Skaven is that there is NO LIMIT to rank bonuses applied to leadership. If you have five ranks of clan rats it's no longer capped to a +3 bonus, you get the full +5. Will be hell versus many armies, though does mean you need to guard your flanks more carefully, lose your rank bonus in any way and your leadership plummets again.

Doomwheel is back in and it's filthy - the Screaming Bell is stunning and massive - you cannot get the scale of it until you see it in real life in a unit - it's being PULLED by a rat ogre for crying out loud! Plus the platform!

There is a spell cast on 25+ where a unit either suffers casualties or if it is wiped out is turned into a clanrat unit, which is a major ouch to low magic-defense armies or units of smaller single-wound units such as in Wood Elves, some Empire builds and other armies that employ certain tactics.

Put it this way - I've seen people who hate Skaven become tempted to play them with the briefest of glances through the book. They're back on the food chain it seems.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's pretty hard to get a 25+ spell off, but the results are game-winning, if not game breaking. They look really powerful now. How could I forget the Doomwheel. But, with low leadership, I will still use my Vampire Counts vs. my nephew's Skaven, but maybe he will finally win one for a change.;) The little $h!t already has a Vermin Lord model from way back when, so he will be able to step right in now. He also sports over 200 Clanrat model, in 5 units of 40 Clanrats each!, so he does have a very impressive "looking" army when he 1st deploys. The no limit rank bonus will make his units tough to break without some good manuevering or Terror-causing units.

My armies include:
    The Vampire Counts, a little over 2,000 pts
    Dark Elves, about 3,000 pts(my favorite army!)
    Orcs & Goblins, well over 5,000 pts(the most chaotic and the most enjoyable army, IMO)
    Bretonnians, about 4,000 pts(Well, they are like a army full of Paladins,who could pass that up!).

14. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I have 5k of Wood Elves, 2.5k Dark Elves and 1k of Beasts and Tomb Kings.

I have a force of Tyranids which will be nicely boosted by Christmas (They're released 2nd January I believe, which means shop previews are in december)

I also collect War of the Ring armies of Misty Mountains and Rohan but have very few models of them so far.

15. Blades of Vanatar

My nephew's girlfriend has 2k worth of HIgh Elves. The entire army is models converted from the Handmaidens of the Everqueen. I still don't know how she got her hands on so many of those models, but she did a great job converting them to the various unit types in the High Elf army. It had to cost a bit more to do it that way. Even her Ellyrion Reavers have the riders converted.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.