1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Two more days - Diablo 3!!!?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 & 4' started by Apeman, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

I had a rule of doing certain quests on my own because it just felt great. Take the whole of chapter 5 for example (good rp there, too!). Other quests (chapter 3 comes to mind - mind-numbing!!) I always did in a group and sometimes even with high-level characters.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This will be hugely addictive and I will be late for school (if it comes out during my last three years at the uni :p)

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Get a quick boost through the acts from on or two high level friends. You only need a few quests for that. Kill Andariel in act 1, complete the staff in act 2 and kill Duriel, kill the travincal guards and Mephisto in act 3, Diablo in act 4. Join a tomb-run game online and level to 24 (goes pretty quick) and kill the ancients with help. Do baalruns until about level 55 (you level up very fast there). Kill Baal. Get a boost through Nightmare (no need for tombruns here). Level up to level 70. Get a boost through hell, find a good Baalrun-game and run until level 80. Only takes a couple of hours :)

Works great, epecially with a sorceress with teleportation. I guess there are even builds for the best boost-characters :D

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh, Act III is without doubt the worst. Between swarms of flayers that run away, gloams blasting you with lightning and stygian dolls blowing up in your face, I can understand your desire to rush through Act III. Then again, Mephisto is at the end of Act III, and he's probably the most run boss in the game.

Indeed it is.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think they managed to find some balance in between boss fights and doing quests with the later patches. There are some areas in hell difficulty that can drop the best level items. I found my best items from random uniques.

I also always clear every area in (almost) every difficulty just so I didn't miss it. My characters are usually a long term project. It's just how you approach the game IMO.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Damn, and I'm STILL playing D2...

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Has anyone found a potential release date?

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I absolutely love they've resisted the temptation to make a complete 3D world with rotating cameras, extreme zooms and all the nonsense of modern rpg's. Very few engines beat infinity engine for me. Isometric view for the win!

I caught some intel it's likely to be released in early summer '09. At least that's been blizzard's tradition so far. IMO it's great they take their time and polish the game until they're satisfied with it themselves (Atari anyone? -.-)

Oh, i've watched the denizens panel stream, they talked about d3 world a bit. The part that caught my attention was the answer to the question whether players will be able to respecc skills, the answer was waaay in the positive :(
    Seems like we'll have wow-like style of every class being one spec. Booring :(

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's interesting because there's no comparing either D1 or D2 to a real RPG, like say, BG2 or PST. I'm glad that the designers of Diablo have admited that their previous games were fairly light RPGs, but more action-based games. I played through D2 twice and liked it for what it was, which was not an RPG. I'm looking forward to see if they can create a real RPG, or if this will be more of the same with increased eye-candy.

I've always liked Diablo for its intense environments and Gothic artwork, despite looking very dated these days. How old is D2? I can't even remember when it was released. But it looks as if its about to get a "beautiful," yet still very Gothic, facelift.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Diablo 2 was released in 2000... I can't believe it's been 8 years already. And it looked crappy even back when it was released. :shake:

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

D2 might be ugly, but I personally do not judge a game by it's graphics. Hell, I just got off Might and Magic 1. Laughable graphics, PC speaker noise is annoying as F, but this is still one of the best games I ever played.

12. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is pretty exciting news. I'm sure this game will be plenty entertaining, though I don't think we should hold our breath for it. Blizzard is known for taking their time.

This time I plan to play the entire game in single player before I start multiplayer. In D2, the game got slightly ruined when I grouped up with friends after launching the game for the first time, blinked, and was like level 25. :/

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

There will probably be a lot more RPG elements, but the action was always the strong point. For some reason I never tired of left clicking incessantly in Diablo, yet have never replayed the Icewind Dale games which were also dungeon crawls but heavier on the RPG side.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I admit, there's more differences between the games than similarities, even if both belong under RPG genre by most common criteria. Singleplayer vs. co-op, enjoying the story vs. using the enviroment as means to improve your character. In type of view category though, their sucessors both went for full 3D cameras (nwn, mmorpg's), whereas d3 continues to hold on to isometric view. kudos to them.

As for blizz making d3 "more RPG", i strongly doubt it. The audience is far wider than classic rpg's has. The main aspect of singleplayer cannot be other than click-fest, fun as it is, it's not our type of game. The focus of the game cannot be other than battle.net.

15. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

If they could somehow blend a Baldurs Gate type RPG with a Diablo action RPG, I think I'll be in heaven.

As it is, I'm much more excited for this than for any other game. I played D2 a lot this year, finished it a few times and nearly released a minor mod (got bored when all of my rune words suddenly stopped working).

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My beef with it wasn't the bad graphics, but that the sequel's graphics was worse than in the original. Now THAT's not something seen every day. Normally I pay little attention to graphics, but when your first thought after installing D2 is "good lord, this looks worse than the original", it's not really encouraging.

As for hopes that Blizzard will make Diablo more of an RPG this time around - all I can say is, futile hopes. The Diablo series has a huge market as it is. Making it more of an RPG would only alienate much of its customer base so there's really no good reason why Blizzard would want to deliver anything but D2 with a minor face lift this time around. More complex CRPGs are niche products today.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Two points: In the game play trailer, it doesn't look like D3 is going to be any more of an RPG that it's predessors. While they say there are more quest like elements in D3, it is still going to be mass monsters and hack and slash for the most part.

The graphics do appear to be greatly enhanced in this version, and a fully interactive environment looks cool too.

Oh, and one more bonus point: I'd be highly surprised if D3 is out one year from now - SC2 is coming out first, and they haven't even announced an official release date for that yet.

18. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

They did say that they are adding dynamic and somewhat random miniquests, so that each playthrough is different both in terms of dungeon randomization, and also in terms of the minor quests you have to do. That sounds good to me - more incentive to kill monsters than just because they drop stuff.

19. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    To quote a fried of mine:
    "You didn't play Arcanum because of it's graphics? Oh yes and I read picture books because I need visuals to understand a good storyline"

Edit: I just found this:

Not that I'm picking on you Tal, it's just that if a popular game has bad graphics it's not played because of those graphics ;)

Edit: I just found this: http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l318/frostwake/Diablo31.jpg
    If Diablo 3 looks like how this guy pictures it, then Blizzard would be rolling in cash.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    "Good storyline" and the topic of D2 just don't seem to go together....

I liked the original Icewind game and replayed it more times than I did D2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.