1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DOS Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Rawgrim, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Does anyone here still play old Dos games? I have been going retro recently, and I am having a great time. So I figured I should start a thread of sorts. So toss in recomendations, your favorite dos-games, and so on. Maybe hints and such for people who are stuck in a particular game as well. Personally I am currently working my way through the Quest For Glory series. Just started the 3rd one now, and having a blast as a fighter.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My abandonware collection is on my other computer and I haven't had the urge for a while now, but there's a game called Space Rogue that's rather cool, IIRC. Adventure/space trading type game with some snazzy 3D low-polygon space combat :)

Crystal Pixels is a really odd-but-fantastic game: http://anywherebb.com/postline/result.php?m=8545
    Same guy also made Noctis, which is quite well known and very good.

Anacreon is a snazzy turn-based 4X game. It's been remade for Windows, and that version's a bit more pleasant.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Quest for Glory is good. Any of the King's Quest are fine as is Roger Wilco. I happen to like Goblins.

I whole heartedly recommend Ultima -- especially VI and VII (Part 1 and Part 2).

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Does anybody know of a certain Aladdin game? I used to play that obsessively as a kid. If only I could find it again...it was a 2D platformer. You could swing swords and jump around and whatnot.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I remember Aladdin. Quite fun game. I may still have the original discs back home, probably under a pile of dust somewhere. Most likely littered with bad sectors! The original two Prince of Persia games were great, the only platformers I truly love.

The Infocom and Legend text adventures are for the most part excellent. Legend's later graphical games are uneven but Death Gate and Superhero League of Hoboken are both very good.

Quest for Glory and Space Quest are excellent series. The Goblins games are weird, I never could finish the 3rd one, far too hard! All of the LucasArts adventures from 1990 to 1995 are excellent.

Ultima are great, especially 4 to 7 inclusive (the first trilogy was clearly and exercise in experimentation and it shows if you try to play it nowadays). Both Ultima Underworld games are gems as well. Might and Magic 3-5 are excellent for the sheer pleasure of exploration, 3 had some very devious puzzles as well. Wizardry 7 is one of the most complex RPGs I've played (one of the most difficult too). SSI's Gold Box games are good fun, Dark Sun is excellent. The first two Eye of the Beholder games are excellent as well.

Lots of good DOS games. I still frequently play them and find many of them very original and enjoyable.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I remember Aladdin, Deathmage. My sister and I played it like there was no tomorrow.

http://abandonia.com/en/games/2/Aladdin.html It is this one you are refering to, right?

Betrayal at Krondor was one of my favorites I think. That was one HUGE rpg. I never finished it though. Got to chapter 5 I think, before I got stuck.

There is a remake of Ultima 6 coming out soon, if anyone is interested, similar to the Ultima 5 Lazarus. Looks great so far.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Hmm, I think that's the game. Thanks, Rawgrim! There goes my study break! But wow, I distinctly remember it looking about 500x better than that...I had no idea it was so...pixellated.

Looking at it again I'm not so sure now. Could you throw apples? Hm...I remember the first level being the marketplace, in any case. I'll DL it when I get home.

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

You could throw apples, yes. its not too pixled really. Looks abit worse on the screenshots. Can`t download it from the site though. The game is, aparantly, still being sold. And is therefore "protected". So you will need to wait a few years, I guess.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

A few months back I dug up jazz jack rabit, rescue rover and keen 4 - other than recue rover they all felt distincly harder to play than when I was 8 - I think I've become too used to jumping within games with more realistic physics engines. Oh and skyroads was a mainstay on my laptop for a while.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Keen 4 was the best in the series I think. I remember finishing that one. Was some trick about making worms turn into a giant foot, I belive.

11. VeryLich Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Dos? Yep, a lot. Even still thanks to DOSBox. A few of my (or used-to-be) favorites that deserve to be mentioned: Star Control 2 (Google "Ur-Quan Masters" for a free lunch, compatible with Windows), Prince of Persia, Threat (may be very hard to find nowadays, developed by Fragment), Commander Keen 4-6, Nethack, Nahlakh, Lands of Lore, Doom.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I started playing Lands of Lore after I read your post, mate. I remember almost finishing it, back in the days. Surprisingly: I am still having just as much fun re-playing it today.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you like puzzles, Lemmings is a classic, and Cannon Fodder is a RTS spin off of it. For adventure games, there's King's Quest and Monkey Island. For real time strategy, there's Warcraft and Starcraft. For simulations there's Colonization and Civilization. For platform games like Keen, there's Duke Nukem, Biomenace, and Cosmos Cosmic Adventure - speaking of which, does anyone know where I can get Episodes 2 and 3?

14. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Starcraft wasn't a Dos game...

15. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Cannon Fodder a Lemmings spin-off? What the...

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I would have called it "Syndicate meets Lemmings" :D

17. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Syndicate was pretty damn epic.

18. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I saw it as more of a puzzle game than action. Both were very frustrating to pull off precise commands and if you screwed it up you had to start again. That's the similarities that I drew between the two...

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Oh, there were some great DOS games: Master of Magic, X-COM, Darklands, the orginal Pool of Radiance, 7th Guest, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans...to name a few.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Might and Magic 1 to 5. Enough said.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.