1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

George Carlin RIP

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Takara, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I just read that George Carlin has died from heart problems. I didn't follow his comedy but his movie roles were great. With Kevin Smith in Dogma, and Jay ands Silent Bob Strike Back. And when he was in Bill & Ted. Funny guy.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh no :(.

The guy is an absolute legend. My usual reaction to news reports that 'xxx has died' is "Oh, well, that's a bit sad I 'spose, but I don't really care", but I'm a bit affected by this. He's the 2nd best comedian of all time, the world needs more people like George. He said whatever he wanted and would not be censored. Rest in peace pal.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the only word that really sums this up is ****

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    George Carlin has passed away.

Actual quote:

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

Edit: This was from my post in whatnots.

--

Oops -- I start one of these threads in Whatnots ... The forecast for tonight is dark.

Carlin was an incredible writer -- he had a knack for both the profound and the profane.

TGS -- how fitting to use of the seven words ....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wonder how many of the seven words you can't say on TV are also banned on SP?

RIP, George.

--

Crap. I just posted in the Whatnots thread before I saw this one.

George was one of the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Type them and find out....

WARNING: Bad words follow in the spoiler (or a lot of astericks)....

Seven Words by George Carlin:

"I love words. I thank you for hearing my words. I want to tell you something about words that I uh, I think is important. I love..as I say, they're my work, they're my play, they're my passion. Words are all we have really.

We have thoughts, but thoughts are fluid. You know, [humming]. And, then we assign a word to a thought, [clicks tongue]. And we're stuck with that word for that thought. So be careful with words. I like to think, yeah, the same words that hurt can heal. It's a matter of how you pick them.

There are some people that aren't into all the words. There are some people who would have you not use certain words. Yeah, there are 400,000 words in the English language, and there are seven of them that you can't say on television. What a ratio that is. 399,993 to seven. They must really be bad. They'd have to be outrageous, to be separated from a group that large. All of you over here, you seven. Bad words. That's what they told us they were, remember? 'That's a bad word.' 'Awwww.' There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad Intentions.

And words, you know the seven don't you? ****, Piss, ****, ****, Cocksucker, Mother****er, and ****, huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that will infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war.

****, Piss, ****, ****, Cocksucker, Mother****er, and ****, wow. **** doesn't even belong on the list, you know. It's such a friendly sounding word. It sounds like a nickname. 'Hey, ****, come here. ****, meet Toots, Toots, ****, ****, Toots.' It sounds like a snack doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is, right. But I don't mean the sexist snack, I mean, New Nabisco ****. The new Cheese ****, and Corn **** and Pizza ****, Sesame **** Onion ****, Tater ****, Yeah. Betcha can't eat just one. That's true I usually switch off . But I mean that word does not belong on the list.

Actually, none of the words belong on the list, but you can understand why some of them are there. I am not completely insensitive to people's feelings. You know, I can dig why some of those words got on the list...like cocksucker and mother****er. Those are...those are heavy-weight words. There's a lot going on there, man. Besides the literal translation and the emotional feeling. They're just busy words. There's a lot of syllables to contend with. And those K's. Those are aggressive sounds, they jump out at you. CocksuckerMother****erCocksucker. It's like an assault, on you. So I can dig that.

And we mentioned **** earlier, of course. Two of the other 4-letter Anglo-Saxon words are Piss and ****, which go together of course. But forget about that. A little accidental humor there. Piss and ****. The reason Piss and **** are on the list is that a long time ago certain ladies said 'Those are the two I am not going to say. I don't mind **** and ****, but P and C are out. P and C are out.' Which led to such stupid sentences as 'OK, you ****ers, I am going to tinkle now.'

And of course the word ****. The word ****, I don't really...well, this is some more accidental humor, but I don't really want to get into that now. Because I think it takes too long. But I do mean that. I mean, I think the word **** is an important word. It's the beginning of life, and, yet it's a word we use to hurt one other, quite often. And uh, people much wiser than I have said, I'd rather have my son watch a film with two people making love than two people trying to kill one other. And I of course agree. I wish I know who said it first, and I agree with that. But I would like to take it a step further. I would like to substitute the word ****, for the word kill in all those movie cliches we grew up with. 'Okay Sheriff, we're gonna **** ya now. But we're gonna **** ya slow.' So maybe next year I'll have a whole ****in' rap on that word. I hope so.

Uh, there are two-way words, but those are the seven you can never say on television. Under any circumstances you just can not say them ever, ever ever, not even clinically. You can not weave them in the panel with Doc and Ed and Johnny, I mean it's just impossible, forget those seven, they're out.

But, there are some two-way words. There are double-meaning words. Remember the ones your giggled at in sixth grade? 'And the cock crowed three times.''Hey, the cock the cock crowed three times. It's in the bible.' There are some Two-way words, like it's okay for Curt Gowdy to say 'Roberto Clemente has two balls on him.' But he can't say, 'I think he hurt his balls on that play Tony, don't you? He's holding them. He must have hurt them by God.' And the other two-way word that goes with that one is prick. It's okay if it happens to your finger. Yes, you can prick your finger, but don't finger your prick. No, no."
    EDIT: I guess five of the seven are unacceptable.... :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
    jaded empath likes this.
  7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

:cry:

That guy was a legend. I loved his stand-up work and his views on the world. Perhaps I should finally book up a few of his books, like I've been planning to do for a long time.

Death Rabbit likes this.
  8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, crap. Words fail.

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Yeah; his three books are wonderful. (You might remember I used to post snippets and 'short takes' from time to time in RBPs).

I can't say I was completely surprised; he'd had some heart attacks in the past few years. But news of his death still rocked me to a stand-still - I ended up late to work. :heh:

I'll miss him, but I'm glad he had a good run of things.

I've been browsing through all the audio clips on his website, and I've settled on one closing line of his as 'my personal epitaph' for Mr. C:

(apologies if anything above either contravenes BoM's rules, or - more importantly - offends anyone)

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

A sad day, for certain. I borrowed a couple of his books from my cousin a few years back. I really shoud read them...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.