1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

European Championship!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by joacqin, May 27, 2008.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Remember, the Spaniars are legendary to be chokies. With Gattuso and Pirlo gone they do have the advantage though.

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yep. The Spanish play descent soccer this tournament. I can see them beat Italy... At least I hope so. I don't like to play the same opponent twice. But some teams only start playing well after playing bad for a while. Same goes for Germany.

Well if Italy wins, it's our fault... we could have eliminated them with France, by letting Romania win :D

3. Register Gems: 29/31

My predictions for the semi-finals:

Germany vs Croatia
    Italy vs Holland

My hopes for the semi-finals:
    Germany vs Croatia
    Italy vs Sweden

And it's not impossible either!

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Cool match tonight: Russia vs. Sweden. I think Sweden should normally have the better team, but Russia has Guus Hiddink and might cause a surprise. I think The Netherlands should be able to reach at least the semi-finals, seeing what they have done so far and how Sweden and Russia played.

And I'm rooting for Spain in their match against Italy, because like Headbanger said, the Dutch have already played against Italy and I'm never a fan of Italy, because I really don't like their playing style. Besides that, a few Spanish colleagues of mine would never hear the end of it if the Dutch beat them in the semi's :D

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Careful about teasing your colleagues, Mesmero! My nephew has quite a few Dutch colleagues and he enjoyed teasing them during the World Championships in 2002: "When are The Netherlands playing? We haven't seen them yet!" :grin: :evil: But they have been getting back at him with a vengeance since then (three Dutch qualifications, one Danish;)).

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Just wanted to share this:

with you. In yesterday's match I already saw somebody on the bench with a shirt pulled half over his face, now I know why :1eye:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  7. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Actually when I saw that yesterday during the game I thought about the same thing. I immediately dismissed that notion but apparently looks like I was wrong in dismissing it... :aww:

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Netherlands 0 - Nether-regions - 1

9. Register Gems: 29/31

Russia - Sweden 2-0; we're heading straight out of this tournament.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I sure hope Oranje meets some different opponents, some other favorites. So I hope Spain wins and gets to play against us if we beat Russia. After that I hope we beat Portugal in the final, if they (and the netherlands) get that far.

[edit]
    As for Sweden - Russia.
    Before the match, I found it hard to choose. I always kinda liked scandinavian teams. Maybe because they always play football in stead of south european theatrical ballet-drama.
    But I'd also like to see more of the Russians (who got a dutch coach that I like).
    But Sweden disappointed me a bit, which is a pity. I kinda like them and their supporters seem nice.
    So after all I chose for the Russians, who seemed to deserve it.
    [/edit]

11. Register Gems: 29/31

Sweden played horribly as deserved to get our asses handed to us; good luck Hiddink!

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, the Russians were good, Arsjavin was really really good. We got ,as they say in internet gaming lingo, pwned. The Russia Sweden faced was not the Russia Spain faced or even the Russia Greece faced but on the other hand the Sweden last night was not the Sweden of previous games. Russia played their absolute best and we played absolute crap. I actually think the Russians can threaten Holland.

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Hehe... maybe they just need this shirt:

on the bench :D

[Let's make use of the YouTube button, people. -Tal]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ah... that's new to me. We didn't have that 5 years ago ;)

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If the Russians play like that, they will threaten the Dutch. Might be a nice game. Hiddink vs. Van Basten.

So Germany through and Portugal out. Don't know what to think of that. Good game, imo, though. But what I said earlier about South European teams might be applicable to the Germans as well. Lousy Schwalbe by Ballack.
    I supported the Germans, but I'd rather seen the Dutch beat Portugal in the final themselves.

Some nasty fouls again, btw, and quite a lot of yellow cards. Too bad.
    Still a good game to watch.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yeah. I also supported Germany. They play soccer... instead of theater. And they play soccer like it is meant: As a teamsport. De dutch reporter said: Why is it called a teamsport? Better give all those Portuguese players there own ball.... :)

I'm looking forward to the game against Russia. Two very offensive teams so I predict a spectaculair match.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    *ahem* I have faith in that Mr. Hiddink will do his duty as a Dutchman. :p

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

WHAT THE HELL! 2 goals - in the 118th and 120th minute? Now that's something you don't see every day.

The Croats really got the short stick on that one, while the Turks really hit the jackpot on that one. On the other hand, it was high time that match got interesting.

Edit:
    Yes, it's official: Turkey is on the semi-finals, and Croatia is out. Another Germany-Turkey match sounds promising, though I can't help but think Turkey made it so far mostly due to luck.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Everyone Turkish in my neighbourhood is going nuts right now, which means a lot of people, and they will by all measure remain nuts for a few hours (till 1 am at least; which in a way sucks, as I wanted to go to bed early after a 13 hour day) and entertain themselves (much more than me) by driving their cars around the block, honking, chanting: Turkye! Turkye! Turkye! Turkye! Turkye! ...

BUT, great closing of that match.

So it'll be Turkey. Swell ;)

I hope the Germany team can repeat that stunt from yesterday on them.

20. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yep, however turkey will be missing 4 starters due to yellow cards & the 1 red card they got the other gane i heard so that doesn't bode well for them against germany. But as they have shown so far, don't count them out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.