1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How much music do you have?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by ChickenIsGood, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I just wanted to know about how much music you SP'ers have, either on computer or just tangible albums. And also it would be cool to know which artists you have the most music from. I'll start...

I have 149 hours 58 minutes and 55 seconds worth of music on my computer, consisting of 11.31gb. Oh and I had forgotten tracks, that's 2192 tracks for me.

Included are 127 whole albums or collections.

Biggest contributors are...
    Led Zeppelin- 8hr 46min 54sec... 722.7mb... 91 tracks
    Pearl Jam- 7hr 51min 34sec... 645.56mb... 111 tracks
    The Beatles- 7hr 49min 47sec... 567.73mb... 172 tracks
    The Smashing Pumpkins- 7hr 36min 16sec... 622.24mb... 105 tracks
    and in a distant fifth...
    Neil Young- 4hr 50min 40sec... 395.31mb... 62 tracks

I don't have a single repeated song in here despite the combination of albums and greatest hits from some of these artists (delete duplicates :p)... I'm quite anal about that. Closest thing to it is live and studio versions for several songs, but I also delete different live versions.

Feel free to be much more general, writing out times to the second is pretty annoying to see now that I look.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

184 hours worth of music, 2165 tracks.roughly 20GB. A big part of that collection was ripped from collector's edition vinyls, the rest from CDs.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I've never heard of ripping from vinyls, I might tell my friend about that if I learn more... though I suppose he already has most the stuff on CD that he buys on vinyls (except classical).

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

More then 50GB. Most of this is metal. I'm obsessed with having complete discography of certain artist.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    64 albums, and I ripped most of them to my mp3 player. My entire collection is legal, so there really is a stack of 64+(some are double discs) cd's in my room.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

16,4 days of music on my laptop, around 1000 cd's and an unknown number of LP's (vinyl) approx. 500.
    I've been listening since the age of around twelve :p

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Little more than 1500 vinyls (including 12'' and 7'' singles), about 50 CDs and few demo tapes that I don't even remember where I have put them

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Probably a couple hundred Cassette tapes, gotta be close to 100 CD's and bout 3.7 GB worth of sound files.

Largest contributors include Black Sabbath, Metallica, AC/DC, Judas Priest...

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Ah, the digital age, when the amount of music is measured in gigabytes :p

I have about 60 albums. They are all legal, 'cause I think downloading music takes all the fun out of it. Biggest contributor is without a doubt Tom Waits (10-ish albums), probably followed by Deep Purple (3 albums). The latest additions are Muse - Black Holes and Revelations and The Good, The Bad and The Queen.

Iku-Turso likes this.
  10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    About 12.6 GB in My Music- 2787 files. The vast majority of which comes from cds stored in my room. Speaking of which, I must remember to put the latest cds on to the computer.

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    20 GB, 99% legal, 15 GB from my brother's CDs, 4 GB from my mother's CDs, rest 6GB from my own collection.

I actually really 'listen' to about 200 CDs, the rest is nice to have just in case I'd at some point like to hear them. The rest also for keep me awake during those 10 hour Heroes of Might & Magic III maps before I collapse into a coma.

12. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    I have 280 hours 40 minutes and 40 seconds worth of music on my computer which takes up about 27.67GB
    I usually put it all in one big playlist and hit the shuffle button, unless there is some new album I really want to get into or an old one I like to rediscover.

I normally forgo having an artists full discography and tend to focus on the albums that are really good. Exceptions to this rule would be 2Pac (excluding all 100 or so of the posthumous albums that have been released), Propagandhi, UNKLE, Caribou, Dead Kennedys, dead prez and Royce da 5'9" which in my opinion only have made good albums.

I guess the most predominate genres of music would be
    Hip-Hop like: Gang Starr , The Roots, Big Punisher and The Coup.
    Electronica/Trip-Hop like: previously mentioned UNKLE, Massive Attack, Portishead, Air, Morcheeba and DJ Shadow.
    And Punk like: previously mentioned Propagandi, Good Riddance, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag and Off With Their Heads

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

That's exactly what I usually do.

Most of mines legal, a lot from my brother and a little from myself. If I download something and decide I like it a lot, I usually end up buying it as well just to have the copy. I do download albums I have on cassette though, which I guess is illegal, but it's justified to me :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    There's about 5000 tracks on my computer, which take up about 40GB of space. Some of them are downloads from the old Napster days, while many are from either vinyl LPs from my collection, or ripped straight from CDs. I also have about 30 digitized vinyl LPs in Lame, which are raw, and waiting to be converted into MP3s (20GB). All together it's about 60GB of space.

I have a lot of different types of music: classical, jazz, rock, ambient, house, lounge, electronic, world. By far, Steve Roach (ambient) has the most play time - 2416 minutes.

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm....there's my CD case in my car that holds 40 CDs, but probably has 50 in it. None of that is on my computer because I'm too lazy to waste my time ripping ~50 CDs that I only listen to in the car. :rolleyes:

WinAMP reports that I have 1093 songs which would give me 3 days, 4 hours, 44 minutes, and 58 seconds. That's just in *my* music folder (the wife has her own...awful music in there... :p ). If I put some effort in to it, and combined all the music we own in to one folder, that number would more than triple.

My collection is 98% legal. I think I still have 1 or 2 albums I got from the old Napster days on my computer. As I was upgrading my entire collection to 192kbps, there was a lot of old stuff I got from Napster that I deleted and had to go out and buy. :rolling:

16. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    At the risk of getting laughed at :p

221 track, 12h:56min in total
    and a few CDs (Bollero, Vivaldi's Four Seasons)

As for the tracks: all kinds of songs I like, regardless of genre, and all 5 albums of Ortodox Celts (a local band).
    This is kind of my must have playlist, the stuff I could listen almost anytime.
    The rest doesn't get on my hard drive.

17. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I've got 4,100 tracks on my PC. Some of it is from the old Napster days and the rest is from my own collection. Last time I counted I have about 750 CD's in my collection. My collection runs the gamut from Country to Classical. It mostly consists of Ambient and Classic Rock with a healthy dose of Classic Country and Easy Listening/Standards. The only thing I don't have any of is Hip Hop and Rap.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    About 200 CDs back home, but I've only got about 2/3 of that as MP3s here. I decided not to convert CDs I knew I would never listen to (my brother's music, as well as some things I listened to as a teenager and never afterwards).

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    But 15 + 4 + 6 = 25, not 20!*

You've lost 5 GB somewhere!

*As in 20 [exclamation mark] (for emphasis), not 20 factorial (which would be loads more). :p

20. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    *me rolls addition check* = 1 :bigeyes:

10 GB from my brother, I have no idea where that additional five came from.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.