1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Excellent series. A colleague kept bugging me to read it until I did, and I loved the books. In terms of religious views this is on the opposite end of the spectrum from C.S. Lewis and Narnia.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished The Bourne Identity and The Bourn Supremacy. Starting The Bourne Ultimatum.

The great thing about those books is the movie doesn't spoil them at all.

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading Othello and the Iliad now. I wish I had time to read non-course-related books. Though the sad thing is I'd probably pick up something related anyway.

Mind's a-tingling about rereading Lolita or 1984, and buying A Clockwork Orange.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Bourne series was one of those rare cases where I found the movies better than the books. Jason Bourne isnt as bad-ass in the books.

Just finished reading Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Currently 'Sports Nutrition' by Anita Bean.

Informative, but some parts are so technical it feels like I've returned to a Biology textbook.

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    A book about NLP...meh...and a book which title translates into 'Librarian in the Future'.

Pure library sci-fi. The librarian of the future will have all the knowledge in the world in order to fully accomplish perfect customer service! Raarr! This means that in the future I won't be able to find a book about yardwork and building patios if I don't have a masters degree in them. Can't recommend a cookbook if I'm not a cook! Librarians will become the geniuses of the becoming new renaissance of the human race and wisdom! Woohoo!

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Reading "The Orc King", by Salvatore. Had it for about a year now, felt it was time to read it. Its ok so far. Business as usuall.

8. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Just finished reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I really hope that the other books in this series live up to the first one. I ended staying up till 3 am last night reading it just because I couldn't bring myself to put the damn thing down.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Finished Steven Savile's Vampire Wars. Meh. It's all right, but never really manages to rise above its source material (Warhammer Fantasy Battles).

Now working on Ian M. Banks' Consider Phlebas, which has been quite enjoyable so far.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Permission Marketing by Seth Godin

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I haven't read in a long long time. I might pick up and finish The Brother's Karamazov again, or maybe even try his Dark Materials stuff... Not sure though, I never really feel like reading.

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    A social psychology textbook for the entrance exams...

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Finished "Before they are hanged" by Joe Abercrombie last night. Second part in the "First Law" series, this is some quality stuff. I would put it on level with the other authors we have lauded in this subforum in the past like Martin, Hobb and Erikson. Anyone who do not know what to read I urge you to pick them up, you will not regret it.

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    'Endurance Training' by Jon Ackland.

...another technical book!

15. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

16. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Last night I finished the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. Awesome book, and i'm going to get the second one on Tuesday, hopefully :)

joacqin likes this.
  17. rawzone Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

gonna be a long summer

Waiting on the new malazan and song of fire and ice books. I may check out those Cornwell and Pullman books. I've been playing some Dawn of War (warhammer 40K) and I'm wondering if any of the 40k books are worth reading, any opinions?

18. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    Saul Hudson (Slash of Guns N'Roses and Velvet Revolver)'s autobiography.

Awesome layout.

19. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Publius Ovidius Naso - Ars Amatoria ("The Art of Love")

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I've read some of them. Quite a few are rather poor- the Ultramarine novels are notoriously bad and the Space Wolf ones I read made me roll my eyes a fair few times- but some of them sound not too bad. The Horus Heresy series has had fairly positive things said about it and I have requested Fulgrim from my library. Unless you are extremely pro-marines, be careful about buying any book focussed entirely on them as you could hit a lot of fan-boy writing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.