1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Where did all the Play by Post RPs go?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Loreseeker, May 24, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I'm rather new to SP, but I remember coming to the site before I joined and finding several lovely threads here in the Corner (back when it was still the old BoM). The threads were almost novel like and I had great fun reading them. One of the reasons I joined was to learn more about them.

Now, there are no currently active Play by Post threads, and I'm wondering why is that so? Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Also, I know next to nothing on PbP RPs, and I have a few questions:

- Do they have a DM/GM like the PnPs and RPs in IRC, or do all the players help out by coming up with the events?

- Does someone need to make a plot for them, and fill the role of DM, while still playing, or do things just kick off and having fun is all that matters?

- How fast do Play by Post RPs move? (Do players pick a time frame and all try to post within it, or does the game lag for days?)

-Is posting done in turns (meaning that you post and then wait until everyone else posts, or does that vary according to the action)?

These are probably silly questions to most of you, but I'm rather interested.
    The main question is the one in the title: Where did all those RPs go?

Thank you for any and all replies. :)

I think I posted this in the right forum section. If not, I apologize.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Ahh, the good old days...
    - Some posts have DMs, some don't. In those which don't, players can congregate to plot together.
    - Just kick off and have fun! (although usually, in my experience, there's some plotting in IRC)
    - It lags for days. :D
    - Nah, you do what you want.
    - As for where it all went...I suspect if you start a new thread people *might* post. Best examples of PbPRP on here are the Pirates of the Sorcerean posts, in which I managed to play three games without playing actual pirates... (Navy spy, ex-Navy captain, and bounty hunter)

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I miss those old PotS RPs.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Heh, never brought this up in here, but I'm actually an avid PbP roleplayer. Although it's mostly the same than with Deathmage, I usually play games that have DMs (and usually the buggers make me to be that :D However, I still tend to play alongside with others even if I'm the DM), and most of the time there tends to be at least some sort of a plot. The forum I play at also tends towards turns. But, as said, it's all up to the players themselves and how they agree on it.

Also, I might add, even though it's in no way really required, some like to use tabletop rules. This might be D&D or it might be some other system. It helps to resolve things, although one should never be completely bound to them in a game. Sometimes some things just should happen, even if the rules don't agree. But it all works just as well without any sort of rules system, too.

All in all, it could be said that almost everything is up to preferences. I've seen some very different PbPs that have worked quite nicely. And, on a sidenote, I might also be intrested in a game here.

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the clarification.

Should a PbP game (any game) start in the Corner, count me in. :)

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There are a few problems with PBP games. Either:
    a) They are too slow. Or
    b) They are too fast.

If it's too slow, well, obvious problems. If it's too fast - it's generally a few players in the same timezone blasting posts back and forth at each other, and everyone else is left far, far behind, never gets in on any of the action, and just give up.

Also, most systems don't seem to work too well, and a GM really slows things down. Having a GM also severely restricts the amount of detail players can put into a post (generally, anyway), which pretty well nullifies the one advantage of PBP play.

As to why there aren't any - they seem to come in waves. There's a lull now, but at some point I'm sure a whole heap will suddenly appear at once.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I think I'm getting a little blah myself without any proper RPing. WoW is nice, but even being in a guild it's more like just a separate chatroom while you hack 'n' slash. RP choices are pretty much limited to deciding not to accept certain quests because your character wouldn't want to. -_-

I'd try to start the Underdark RP back up, but I'm not really in the mood to play evil right now. And SS was too fun to risk it as a startup RP. I'll try to think of something else, but for the moment I'll just volunteer for any 2e or non-system RPs that I think look good.

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    We need to start one, guys. Brainstorm time!

Setting?

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd be willing to join in on one, but I doubt I have the time to be a "big time" player in the RP. Just a supporting character adding a bit of flavor.

I'd prefer a high magic setting. Something with the feel of Northern European mythos (Germanic or Celtic) in that sense. However, my vote shouldn't matter too much as I don't expect to be doing any heavy lifting

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Pirates of the Sorcerean Four! :D

EDIT: Okay guys, let's go riding into sunsets.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  11. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

Is there a new RP thread starting up here sometime?

My old job kinda kept me out of the other thread one, and the IRC one I tried to join.

My new job has slightly better hours. But not by much.

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Um, Elfen, yes. It's the...well...cowboy thread. I don't know how you missed it...

13. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

I've been kinda absent due to moving house. Didn't have an internet connection for a long time.

I might have to give this one a miss I think though, Cowboys aren't really my thang. But that might change, it kinda depends on how busy I wam with work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.