1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings Online

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Barmy Army, May 16, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Has anyone played this in depth at all?

I read a few reviews about it etc. and they basically say it's WoW, but in a LOTR world that very closely follows the books and movies. The idea of walking around Bree to get a beer, Moria to stab a few orcies and Rivendell to meet a few fellowship members seemed very sweet to me. On the back of it, I bought the game today.

I've played it for a few hours this evening. The fact that it kept my attention for a few hours is good, as I have a very poor attention span and gfet easily bored. However, so far it doesn't seem to follow the films very closely at all, and certainly doesn't seem to be much like WoW, other than the fact it's a MMORPG. There doesn't seem to be many people hanging around, and none seem particularly friendly.

I'm willing to stick it out a little bit with it (seeing a I've spent £25 hard earned beer tokens on it), but not that much. My time is valuable right now and I'd rather not waste it only to find out the game sucks more than I thought it did.

I'm currently a level 7 human, and only JUST seen an area name I know, the village of Bree, although I've not seen the Prancing Pony yet, much to my chagrin.

So, has anyone played it? Is it worth bothering with? I'm a Guardian at the minute, are there better classes that I'll have more fun with? Are there any tips you can give me towards having a more fun time?

Ta muchly.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My little brother got it and tried it. All he says about it is that it is really boring and then he went back to hardcore WoW playing.

3. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My brother lured me into signing up for LotRO. I'm not your typical MMO player and only have an hour or three each week, so I'm not exactly a good representative. I also don't like grouping that much (begging the question, why play a MMO?) so I mostly run the quests by m'self.

But, I'm really enjoying the game -- enough that I signed up for a three-month extension. There's more than enough single-player content to wander around and do your own thing, and more than enough quests to level up without having to grind -- at least, that's been my experience so far. I have a Guardian at level 19, a Champion at 11, and a Loremaster at 8, all of which have different crafting specialties, and I'm having fun with each of them.

As for the storyline...I like it, but I'm not a Tolkien fanatic. I've read the trilogy and watched the movies, but that's as far as I go. My brother is a Tolkien zealot and really likes how they've used the storyline and world; he was pret' excited when in one quest his character got to stalk Gollum. Another friend is a Tolkien fan and he's thoroughly annoyed by the game. I guess two-for-three ain't bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.