1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Ultimate decision

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Baronius, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006754

There were many discussions, several polls, but this one is simpler. If you had to choose anyway, which would you choose? BG1 or BGII?
    Certainly, any opinions, arguments or comments are also welcome here.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 70 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Ultimate decision (70 votes.)

BG1 or BGII? (Choose 1)
    * Baldur's Gate 1 - 30% (21)
    * Baldur's Gate II - 63% (44)
    * Haven't tried BG1 - 7% (5)

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

BG2 hands down. Don't get me wrong, BG1 is an amazing game (and probably the second best RPG I've ever played) but it can't hold a candle to BG2.

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Never played through BG1, tho I might give it another try. I played BG2 before I tried BG1...wasn't as much fun with 800x600 and lvl 1 at that point :)

*now where are my BG1 cds...*

4. Baronius

I did not mention that those who have not played BG1 should choose the third possibility of the poll, because I thought this goes without saying. But I was wrong. So I advise that those who have not played either of the two games enough to judge them should not vote (or in case of BG1, choose the third poll possibility), and tell their current opinion in a post if they wish. But to each his own, certainly.

Of course, I am afraid of the following phenomenon: those who played BGII first, and then BG1, might have not "felt the taste" of BG1 properly. So the order counts as well...

5. Lacessit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have tried innumerable times to finish BGI but somehow I just don't succeed. I dunno, maybe it's just that High Hedge doesn't really compare to Watcher's Keep, maybe it's the incredibly vague maps (where am I?? Where is this Bassilius character??) or maybe I just like higher levels better.

If anyone would ask me I would recommend BGI, but only on the condition that they play it before BGII, because otherwise they're going to be disappointed.

I /did/ like some of the NPC's better though. Kagain was great! :D Sort of Korgan's laid back nephew...

6. Magic Snack Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I love BG1, but I'd have to go with BG2 if forced to choose one. It's a bit more flashy with all the high level spells and fancy equipment and the variety of enemies and settings. The best thing is the character interactions which BG1 didn't have enough of.

There's also a sense of urgency in SoA that pushes you through and makes you want to find out what's going to happen next. With BG's wilderness maps you had more exploration, but sometimes all the wandering slowed the game too much. Oh, and you get to travel so much in SoA. In BG, it was like, "ooh, another kobold-filled iron mine near the Baldur's Gate/Amn Border."

7. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] BG1 was my first RPG game. I bought it just because it was available on DVD! It is a very good game, but BG2 is more interesting and fun to play even if it's more linear.

Will play BG1 again though. Maybe after Icewind Dale II.

8. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well i think this pole is majorly biased, for one reason. The answer to the following question is what the reason is. Where is this post ultimately located, in other words, what forum?

By the way, I personally am BG1 all the way over BG2, because it was harder to solo through and you had to work really hard to earn your items.

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I did them in the correct order and I still say go for BGII. It just has a better interface and I really liked to have more developped traveling companions. Another point is that you don't have to travel through so much emptyness as in BGI. Concerning story arc they are at equality. And above all, the one big thing missing in BGI, romances. But BGI has the advantage of being able to start as a level 1.

10. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I can't really decided, they were both good for different reasons. But I bet a remake of BG1 using some of the ideas implemented in 2 would be awesome.

11. Jester Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] BG1, hands down. Vague maps are great - you actually get the sense of exploring, instead of "Umar Cave" and other signs plastered over your map on places you have never been, let alone heard of. In BG1, any +1 weapon was a find, where in BG2 you end up not picking up +2 weapons because they arent worth the effort to sell. There are simply too many high-powered items in the game.

The only thing BG2 has over BG1 is the character interactions and quests, the interface and the larger side quests. A great game would be BG2 with less high powered items, a less linear storyline and some new NPC's and wilderness maps thrown in.

BG2 is a great game, just in a different league than BG1.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    BG1 was my favorite game until BG2 came out, so I have to go with BG2. When you take into account the kits, the party interaction, and the way characters in BG2 "get out of the way" when they bump into each other, BG2 is just a better gaming experience.

13. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

BG2, for reasons such as user-friendliness (TAB highlights, moving out of the way), and that I prefer overpowered chars over lowlevel strugglers.

EDIT: this was the 66000th post in the SoA forum. Yay!

14. Baronius

I don't want to repeat myself, just feel to tell that there are basically the same things which make people like or not like BG1.
    I mentioned it in first post either, but here is the link again:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006754
    This is a very interesting thread and shows many things which changed to BG2 in negative direction for example, so those who are interested or thinking on their decision should read it.

15. cadderly Gems: 5/31

well at least I am not alone in my thoughts on bg2 vs bg1, thanks for being a like minded person jester :D

16. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I played BGII first, and as such it will always hold a special place in my heart.

17. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

BG2, I played through BG1 until I got to Baldur's Gate and I didn't have the discs to enter... I haven't been able to play it since because I can't stand the graphics, (haha what a reason eh?) :p

18. cadderly Gems: 5/31

Hate to break this to you but it is not always about the graphics, the plot line of baldurs gate 1 was awesome, the mystery, the intrigue, not to mention the free roaming that you guys are always complaining about!

19. Jester Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Cadderly has it hole-in-one. Obviously a game produced later is goin to have minor technical fixes, improvements and implementation of more options through kits, but the hard part is maintaining a good role-plaing experience - the whole point of playing the games, which BG2 just doesnt provide in comparison with BG2.

20. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I enjoyed BG2 alot more because of the character interaction.

I enjoyed BG because of the exploring factor and the sword effects.

But then again I enoyed BG2 because the storyline is alot easier to stayed interested in.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.