1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    :p

Congrats :thumb:

I'm still working my way as a permanent fixture. I already have a five-year plan...

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Boy, that computer tech PSD sure as hell was one of the biggest wastes of time ever. I found a couple of jobs, but only one of them called back, and offers me MINIMUM WAGE. The perks of trying to pierce in a saturated market!

A little less than three months left before I begin my welding PSD. Good thing is I already have some background, and my bro's taking the class with me.

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Today started with the inevitable antenna section from which I've managed to avoid so far as a librarian. Well...if not antenna section, then at least with two people who're not entirely in touch with reality.

THe first one wanted to put a personal ad in the net, she's looking for a husband from another country. The problem's were that a) She's definitely not a looker b) she didn't even have a basic knowledge of the net so she's basically a data protection infringement waiting to happen and at a major risk at being exploited in one way or another, I did warn her about it, but she didn't pay much attention to it c) she's got specific preferences that will most likely never be met and d) it's not even my job to put in personal ads into anywhere let alone be someone's secretary, but I did it anyway. Shame on me. Now she'll be coming back and we'll just have to say that "we're sorry but you'll probably get better service somewhere else". Fortunately the most likely thing to happen is that she won't get anywhere with it and so the worst thing will be that she'll be sorely disappointed.

The other one was a customer that showed me her credit card and that by itself is just regular business. Yes, I'm a librarian. Yes, a library does handle money and you can pay with your credit card or show us any bloody card you want to. Nothing to it, whatever personal information the customer provides us stays with us. It's just that basically the library card's the only useful card if you want to borrow a book. So she didn't manage to borrow the book she wanted and she left. Nothing to, so far. Of course she had to come back and start ranting if I took her credit card number up. Yeah right. She's having a hard time using her credit card (if it even was her credit card in the first place) if she starts questioning every customer service person if they might violate the laws about personal information... :rolleyes:

4. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

First of all, apologies again for neglecting my duties in the Sensorium game threads...gonna stay outta ther til work settles down a lot more...

Anyway, it seems was most likely lied to about my house, it seems they're not selling it but wanting to tear it down in order to make room for a Day Care Centre they want to open...but I really don't see how they could find room on this block for a decent one....

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Writing a thesis sucks :(

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The people at my work are friggin' idiots. The management here just gave us a "technical library" with 2 new computers, a 60" HDTV, satellite with a DVR, a shelves full of books, couches...the works. Well, it's only been open for about a week, and some idiot has already stolen the CableCard from the DVR, so no one can watch TV! :bang: The funny thing is, CableCards are locked so stealing one is pointless. :rolleyes:

Why do people always go and ruin a good thing? :rolling:

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Today was my last day at work. 3 years. I kinda enjoyed it but since the woulnd't give me as much as I wanted and deserved IMO...
    Time to find sth different.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH EXAM TOMORROW WTF.

Willy Willy Harry Stee,
    Harry, Dick, John, Harry Three.
    87 to 00, 00 to 35, 35 to 54, 54 to 89, 89 to 99, 99 to 16, 16 to 72, 72 to 07.

That's all well and good but gah! How am I meant to remember the CAPETIANS?!?! Raaaaar!!!

9. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I hate my exams.
    I hate my books filled with idiotical info no one in their right mind needs.
    I hate myself for wasting time.

Now, I'll just go and vent some anger... away from fragile computer equipment.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  10. Ziad

Media:
    It is NOT a waste of time. Yes, the information is utter nonsense and you will forget it within minutes of leaving the exam, but think positive - the degree you get will help you get where you're aiming and then you'll never have to study for exams again!

I distinctly remember having a party after taking my last exam. On that day I decided "never again! Ever!"

Loreseeker likes this.
  11. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Ziad, I meant I was wasting time all afternoon, instead of learning the stuff. :lol: But I'm much better now.

And yes, I do intend to forget the whole thing the moment I walk out.
    As for the books... top of the wardrobe... where no one will ever see them again. :p

12. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hey loreseeker how do you went some anger? Don't you mean Vent some anger ? Or is this some strange accent thing i'm missing??

13. Ziad

Media:
    I've always found this to be the best way to deal with the useless clutter of information university fills your head with. And I can proudly say I was very good at forgetting things.

Alternatively you can sell them for a good price to the students taking the course next year. If you bought the books from a previous student at half-price to begin with and sell them for half-price, you've broken even! Sadly most courses have the annoying habit of replacing textbooks quite frequently.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Oh god... My work is so mentally challenging that a monkey could do it, and I'm not even kidding which is the sad part. In all probability it's frustrating enough for monkeys to refuse doing it and hence they have to use slave labor such as myself desperate enough to earn some money to afford studying. This has to be the first time in my life I'm actually wanting to be done with this summer and get on with studying. Oh, and happy birthday to me, the company presented me with a goody old graveyard shift to celebrate this marvellous day. :bang:

15. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    My jobs are killing me with sexual frustration. 'Nuff said.

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

/hands Lore Puters' Bane

Have fun. :evil:

Oh, and read the manual.

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Bah - two of my essays are due within two days of each other. Do you know what this means? This means I'll have to start writing one of them RIGHT NOW - despite the fact that I know jack all about what the course at the moment. Just my bloody luck, I guess.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I have two Turkish girls in my team for simpler tasks, who are, frankly, computer illiterate. In any case, as they have to work with computers a lot that is problematic. Or maybe they don't really speak German. Or they're exceedingly shy. Or they're just daft. Anyway, after them being employed for half a year I don't see much palpable improvement.

One can visually identify them facing a subjectively intractable problem with a few obvious signs
    1. Staring at the screen in what must be desperation or confusion.
    2. Finally calling their equally incompetent sister for brief and unintelligible conversation in Turkish.
    3. Pointing at the screen and discussing the mystery in front of them quietly.
    4. Confused look.
    5. Paralysis.
    Not that they ask. They sit in front of their screens and agonise. It took the two of them roughly 30 minutes to save a file in a specified folder - that is, 20min to fail finding the file they worked with the day before (which I did in approx one minute), and another 10min to fail saving the file (which I then did in another minute). Now I might just be intimidating (which I am told I am not). Point is, they don't ask anybody else either.

When I come around to explain - one, two, three, four .... times (that said, other people do understand me right away) - I usually close with a question whether there are any remaining questions, and, that's what's annoying me, the answer is always "No." :rolleyes: while the eyes cry out loud "YES!" :mad: I have no problem with people having questions or not knowing things - then you ask, or go look it up. Alas, they don't. They rather sit around half a day. I have to absolutely explain everything. So now I engage them pro-actively, because it is less work to haul and cajole them along rather than re-doing their work in its entirety:
    Lately they compiled a list that I needed, which was supposed to categorise norms into federal laws and ministerial decrees on the execution of those laws. They regularly labelled stuff like the 1th to the 43th executive decree on the 'law for something' as the 'law for something', which means they didn't even understand that semantically, let alone logically, there is a difference. That's just one example of many.

I think, that, for all practical purposes, they're just warm bodies blocking one of a limited number of workplaces. However, I am not the one to make the call about them staying or leaving; apparently, for the time being, they stay. At least, they're reasonably decorative and pleasant. Nobody entrusts them anything difficult, knowing they aren't up to it anyway. Not that it costs a lot of money to have them, but for the stuff they do they're overpaid. The problem is the constant need to check their stuff for the inevitable errors, binding up others who aren't available for other tasks.

They're in their early twenties. With them being rather conservative, odds are they'll marry rather sooner than later, and with overwhelming probability get knocked up soon. One colleague of theirs, who is way less incompetent, has just married the guy who was introduced to her by her family. :skeptic: According to her she immediately knew that that ten year older man, a medical doctor, was 'the right one' :skeptic: All the best for her.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not that daft when it comes to smelling money, then? :shake:

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Of course not. Shiny things, clothes and shoes cost money.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.