1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Graphical Glitches...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Shivan, May 16, 2008.

1. Shivan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So ever since I reformatted and also gutted and basically made a whole new computer, (actually... I never really reformatted, I just bought a new hard drive and still have windows and everything still on the old harddrive which is now a slave... along with ANOTHER one...) and now whenever I install the game I keep having black boxes around/behind many objects in the game, and the fog of war is blocky and totally black. Changing the video and computer settings does very little... I was at one point able to get the fog of war to stop blocking, and some items too, but even then items (like loot lying on the ground) not in the center of my screen still had blocks, and large game objects still had them entirely, and all -? the little info popups for various things all had giant black boxes under the text.

Here's some screenshots to show.
    One
    Two

using a geforce 8800 GTS, I run my monitor at 1440x900, though I run the game in 800x600 (which as always worked before...), running XP pro... have 3 gigs or so of ram, dual core intel... ceative X-Fi...

it doesn't matter how I install it... how I patch or don't patch it... the daggon sqaures are still there!!!

but then, it's been a while since that last time I tried so maybe I'll try again...

I also have alot of Override files for voices and portraits... but only the stuff from BG2, no player made ones or anything. I don't mod the game at all except to use Shadowkeeper. I am trying to play HoF mode.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Try finding some old Nvidia drivers... there are various graphical anomalies in IE games with newer drivers. You could also try the various graphical settings in the game and in the setup program... tweaking DirectX could help too. There was a thread about DirectX here somewhere but I can't find it right now (hopefully someone else can point to it).

3. Shivan Gems: 1/31

Yeah, I messed with the various graphical settings, from the main 3 bars to the individual boxes, and the best I was able to do was (as shown in the second screeny) to make the fog of war stop blocking.

Maybe I'll try installing it on an inferior machine or 2...

failing that, and assuming the old nvidia drivers did the trick, is there a way to cleanly, smoothly switch from one driver set to another often and quickly? lol... or perhaps I could create a windows user profile that uses the old driver? Or are drivers universal? sigh... compatibility is irritating.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think there's any way to switch between drivers, unfortunately. I think they are applied system-wide.

5. eddy Gems: 1/31

Try turning the HW-acceleration in the display settings (I think it's under "Troubleshooting") to the third slider setting or something like that.

This should fix the problems with GF 8XXX cards.

6. Shivan Gems: 1/31

I think you're thinking of the Baldur's Gate 2 config

7. Scofield77 Gems: 1/31

hi shivan,

I encountered exactly the same problem when I started playing these days (my first try in IWD2 :) ).
    I played around at the ingame graphical settings and this worked for me:
    reduce graphics to 16 bit and activate "software standard blt" (the feature that is recommended to use when graphical anomalies appear).
    after that, these annoying black boxes were gone.

hope that helps!

cheers,
    sco

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.