1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mysteries of Westgate Preview

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by kgambit, May 12, 2008.

1. kgambit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Cool!

Thanks, kgambit. :)

3. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i don't particularly like where this xp.pack is going, it seems to be just a continuation of MOTB story line, with new stuff thrown in (i sincerely hope they actually make good on these promises this time around),

then there is the lack of choice for companions. you have a rogue, fighter and cleric to choose from, not much has changed since the earliest years of RPG gaming it seems?! i would really like to see more unique npc's such as bear god and evil wraith from MOTB.

then there really is no word that the game will be less linear as before, it's just the main story line with 16 sidequests, doesn't really say much more. hopefully the good/evil path will evolve through the game, not at the beginning or at the end.

and no multiplayer i guess? o well.

4. kgambit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

THe story line in MoW is NOT related in any fashion to the MotB storyline. The Mask in MoW is completely unrelated to the Masks in MotB, and unlike MotB the MoW mask is COMPLETELY optional. You don't have a game mechanic like the spirit energy forced upon you in MoW.

With the limited playing time, I can't tell you a lot about how the good/evil path lines develop or change thru time. That is going to have to wait until I get my review copy of the full game. ALan Miranda has repeatedly said that there are MULTIPLE paths with MULTIPLE endings - that sounds to me as though the paths do evolve throughout the game although the initial path of good or evil does seem to occur fairly early on.

As for linearity, I'm not sure what you expect in a CRPG - all CRPGs are linear to a certain degree, there is a main plot line that has to be followed to some degree. I do know that it is totally possible to end up in situations where you are totally out-matched and the only real option for survival is to RUN. That doesn't sound like linearity to me.

As for companion choices, I would have thought a mage would have been a good addition. The companions that are available make a good basis for you to play any character you want - and the companions as developed are EXTREMELY detailed with respect to their dialogue and interactions. If this had been an epic adventure, i might have agreed with you about the choices of companions but for a mid level adventure I can't quibble with the choices that were made.

Remember that this is NOT a full blown expansion. It's an adventure pack and lies somewhere between an expansion and the premium mods that Bioware put out for NWN1.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    According to the official NWN2 website, Mysteries of Westgate has finally been released and is available for purchase!

But, the purchase button links to Mask of the Betrayer instead... oops.

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I guess old news, is good news is best as NO news. At least that's how Bioware sees it. I thought this game was done and out already. It's been an "epic" just to figure out what these guys are doing with the release. Anyway, there is a review of the game on GameBanshee and Theives Guild (whatever that is) and these guys say it's a great game. From the review it sounds like it really may be something good:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkFlZAEyAyEBPquHjS.php
    http://www.thieves-guild.net/index.php?pid=512

...And all this time I was not expecting much....

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Just to be clear Bioware have nothing to do with NWN2 other than hosting the official forum and having created the engine it runs in. The OC and the two expansions where made by Obsidian and the MoW is made by Ossirian (the smae people who made Darkness over Daggerford for nwn1).

the Publisher is Atari, and it is currently them who are holding up the game, constantly giving misinformation, even to Ossirian. the game has now when from soon, to april, to april the 7th and now back to coming soon

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's Ossian, not Ossirian. Beren's had his review ready for some time now, but I decided not to post it until the pack is actually released... not really much point in doing it potentially weeks before anyone can buy MoW, is there?

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yep. That's why SP is the best. :)

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So, is anyone playing this? Is it any good?

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Beren did a very good review of the module. His remarks are generally positive and he recommends it. There's another review on RPG Codex that I also thought was good. The two reviews don't talk about the same aspects so it's worth reading both, but they seem to agree that combat and story are very good and that the module is worth playing.

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Thanks for those links, Ziad. I was waiting for a review to appear in the Mod Review forum... show's my powers of observation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.