1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Leaving reputation

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by The Great Snook, Mar 29, 2008.

?

Do you leave your name when you give rep

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Wait... so I read the FAQ and the Board Rules description of reputation, and I don't think I get the point. Like, what do you *do* with reputation? Other than give other people reputation points. Which then allows them to do... What? Is this just a status thing?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The greater your Reputation, the more you can flagrantly violate the Board's rules before incurring the wrath of a moderator/administrator. Basically, Rep acts as a kind of "Amulet of Mod Warding". As proof, notice how high Tal's rep is, and then try to remember the last time he was given a warning.

:p

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stop misleading the until-just-recently-lurkers Splunge! :mad:

There. Thoroughly refuted, since not only did I say your information was misleading, but you have a high reputation yet still incurred my wrath! :lol:

Oh, and yes, reputation is just a popularity contest kind of thing...

Tiana likes this.
  4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! My Rep Power isn't very high - it's only 9. So I still stand by my allegation.

:p

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, no, not rep power but reputation... you have 2 green squares and have a spectactular aura about you! :lol:

6. Splunge

Media:
    Well, the 2 green squares I understand. But as for the "spectacular aura" - well, let's not go there again. :p

(On a somewhat serious note, are the phrases ("spectualar aura", "famous soon enough", etc.) tied to reputation?)

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As far as I'm aware, yes they are.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So what's the difference between Rep Power and the little Green Boxes...or rather...how do you get more than one? :hmm: :rolling:

9. Splunge

Media:
    Rep power is a combination of length of time as an SP member, number of posts, and rep points received from others (scroll up for a more detailed explanation by Montresor.

The green boxes relate only to rep points received from others - 1 box to start, and then 1 for every 100 points received.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oh...I get it now.

So here's another question: When someone leaves rep, how many points does the recipiant get? Is it equal to the giver's rep power, is it scaled...or is it only 1 point? :rolling:

11. Splunge

Media:
    It's equal to the giver's rep power.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It is equal to the rep power. Rep power is the number of reputation points you can give someone else in one go. A basic explanation of reputation is in the FAQ now.

Edit: Splunge cut in on me.

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    They are. This is explained here.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I've shied away from getting involved with giving rep because I don't know when to give it...

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Whenever you feel like it...

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    :) I could have sworn I had posted the same thing, but I must have just thought it.

Give rep if you want when you want; the system has some restrictions to prevent abuse, but that's about it.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What a concise explanation. I feel like repping you for it.

18. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like the whole rep thing. I always think it's nice to let people know that oyu appreciate what they've said.

I always leave my name, as was said earlier, it's like giving a gift! I would leave my name on negative rep comments too. At the end of the day, if you disagree with somebody then you should let them know and if you don't have the guts to leave your name then you shouldn't bother people!

Also, I've never been able to see who's posted rep to me either before or after I got an sps account

19. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It should be on the front page under 'User CP' (top left corner).

20. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can see the req bit, just not names. ah well, not to worry. I never check it that often anyway

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.