1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions about paladin and barbarian

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gafgorkion, May 10, 2008.

1. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I have never played either of these classes before, so I am thinking about trying one of them out for my next game.

I have two questions about wisdom. Is the bonus to saving throws for high wisdom implemented into BG? Do paladins get bonus spells like clerics and druids do for high wisdom? I am trying to determine whether it is worth it or not to max out wisdom.

Barbarians... I never paid much attention to barbarians before because they cannot wear plate mail, and in my opinion any front line tank needs plate mail (except for the fighter/mage but he uses spells like PfMW which is better than any armor :D ). I started looking more closely at the barbarian, and noticed that the barbarian doesn't need a really good AC because he has tons of hit points and resistances that let him take the hits. A half-orc barbarian with 20 constitution (which is doable with the constitution tome from BG1) would have 18 hp/level. That is just crazy. :eek:

My question about barbarians is: Does their innate physical resistance stack with the hardiness HLA? Does it stack with the flail that also gives physical resistance? With all three combined together, a barbarian could be 80% resistant to all physical damage? :eek: :eek:

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is some debate on that. but the general concensus is no.

I don't believe so.

Not sure, but I don't know why it wouldn't.

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    No.

Sadly, no.

Stacks with the flail (Defender of Easthaven +2) atleast. There's also the helm Roranach's Horn in ToB that gives you additional +50% against blunt weapons. Not sure about HLAs since I don't like playing high level characters.
    But:
    The only reason why an item wouldn't stack is if it sets your resistance to a certain amount (for example Carsomyr says "50% magic resistance" not "+50% MR"), which means you have to equip it first and add the other items afterwards.

4. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I don't think wisdom above the 13 minimum helps a paladin at all, and since you have 30 points tied up in wisdom and charisma, finding the points to increase a pally's wisdom is really hard anyway.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Actually, it's 17. 12 HP from bening a barb, +5 from a 20 CON. 19 and 20 CON grant the same HP bonus. But a 20 has a very slow regeneration rate, which is awesome.

BTW, since you've realized it doesn't matter if you get hit or not, play a dwarf, not a half-orc. They actually do have a bonus to saving throws based on CON.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.