1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About Charisma and selling items

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The cost to buy an item is determined by both your Charisma and reputation. The selling price is unaffected by either.

If you are talking about the sword in the sewers beneath the Copper Coronet, then all of the riddle parts are found within that area. You won't need to go looking any further afield for them.

2. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I finally found all the parts, "the hand" one was a pure luck that I found it and "the blood" one was a last thing I was gonna try before consulting the FAQ :) After that it took some guessing to input all the parts correctly but I managed and got the sword. Maaaan that sword is created for Minsc no doubt about it :)

Right now I'm getting my bottom handed to me by the slavers. Gotta try some buffing and see if I can beat them that way. It's crazy that people can beat the game with only one character but I can't beat a fight with six of them :(

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just to add my 2 pennies...

Charisma does not affect sale prices. Reputation does.

The more of a particular item a vendor has, the less he will give you when you sell that item to him. Ie. if you've already sold one dude 3 sets of pull plate, find someone else to sell this other lot to.

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    BA, I'm afraid your first point is rubbish. I just checked by buying a scroll of Protection Against Magic at the Adventurer's Mart with a reputation of 10. With a Charisma of 3, my character paid 3300 for one, while with a Charisma of 25, it cost 2460. Charisma does affect sale prices.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ok, that showed me!

6. Raven_BWL Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Charisma affects buying prices like this:

15 and lower: none
    16: -5%
    17: -10%
    18: -15%
    19: -20%
    20+: -25%

Note that the discount caps at Cha 20.

Reputation affects the prices like this:

1-2 1000% (i.e. 10x higher)
    3 200%
    4 150%
    5 140%
    6 130%
    7-8 120%
    9 110%
    10-14 100% (normal)
    15 95%
    16 90%
    17 85%
    18 80%
    19 75%
    20 70%

For high Cha and Rep you add the discounts together. For instance, with Cha 20 and Rep 20 you get the maximum 55% discount.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hmm there is some confusion about THAC0 advancement.

AFAIK warriors (fighter, paladin, ranger) THAC0 improve one by level, so their progression is like this:20 19 18 17...

Priests (clerics and druids) improve by 2/3 per level, improving every fourth lvl so their THAC0 is:20 20 20 18 18 18 16 and so on...

Rogues (thieves and bards) THAC0 improve every other level so their THAC0 progression is:20 20 19 19 18 18 and so on...

Mages have the weakest rate of 1/3 per level, so their base THAC0 chart is:20 20 20 19 19 19 18...

All classes stop THAC0 advancement in some high lvl (20 or such) and thus only warriors will achieve a base THAC0 of 0.

At this rate, in higher lvls, warriors will always have the best base THAC0, priests second, rogues third and mages not suprisingly will have the worst base THAC0.

Multi class characters use the most favourable THAC0 progression table. A fighter/mage will improve its THAC0 each time he levels up as a fighter. He will NOT gain THAC0 progression from his mage lvl ups.

IIRC dual classed character's THAC0 bonuses from each class stack.

In my game, monks used warrior THAC0, so my monk was fairly good at hitting things, and he hit hard. I am not sure if this is same in an unmodded game, however.

8. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well I got 30k gold now. So more than enough to save Imoen. But I haven't been to half a city yet :) Done Paladin and fighter stronghold only and sold all the loot.

Question is... Do I free Imoen now or do I explore the rest of the city and do all the quests I can before I go after Imoen?

9. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Depends if you want a hard as nails party for the Underdark, or an OK party. I prefer to do as much as possible before I pick up Immy, but I know others like to do things the other way around. (If you have the Solaufein mod and want to pick him up, then makes sense to go there sooner rather than later...but can't see a reason, otherwise).

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

depends on how you want to play, i like imoen so i do as few quests as possible before i get her back. others do every quest in the city before venturing to spellhold.

11. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Darn... I got some spell affecting me... Energy Drain. Minsc is lvl 1 all of a sudden :( Anything I can do?

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    If a character has been level-drained then they simply need the Restoration spell cast on them. Assuming that you have a cleric with you, look through their spell-book and get them to memorise Restoration. That should restore Minsc's levels. You could also pay a temple to do it, but the above method is much cheaper. Note that casting Restoration will cause fatigue in the caster, so don't cast it just before a fight.

As an aside...level 1? That was close!

In response to your earlier question, my advice is much the same as that of the above two posters. If you intend of having Imoen in your party, then go soon. If not, then it doesn't really matter when you go. The higher your level, the more powerful spawns you will encounter when you do go. On the other hand, more powerful enemies = more experience for your characters.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Some special undead, especially vampires level drain your characters when they hit. This is extremely deadly, if a character is drained to lvl zero they die, sometimes even irreversibly. (they are chunked and you lose the portrait, they are gone forever)

Temples also sell restoration scrolls, any character class who is smart enough to read/write (min INT 10) will be able to use them. Restoration brings back drained lvls.

Priest spell 'Negative Energy Protection' will protect the recipient from lvl drain for a very short time. Also there are some very rare items which grant 'negative energy protection' when you equip them, so they are extremely handy.

IIRC, Berserk effects also protect against lvl drain as long as it lasts. It gives immunity to lots of other deadly stuff as well. (stun, charm, imprisonment, etc)

Melhisedek likes this.
  14. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Hmmm, is it normal that I get like 1HP-3HP at level up? My guys are level 8-10 and are getting some really poor HP updates. I've been reloading and even putting difficulty to easy but it didn't help. Is it normal? Or have I installed one mod to many ? ;)

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

It's normal. After level 9-10 you get only very few HP at level ups.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The characters should get normal hit dice (and constitution bonuses) until level 9 for priests and warriors, level 10 for mages and thieves. After those levels:

Warriors (level 10 and up): 3 hp per level.
    Priests: (level 10 and up): 2 hp per level.
    Thieves (level 11 and up): 2 hp per level.
    Mages (level 11 and up): 1 hp per level.

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Bah! Did I not preempt you'd ask this and answer on the first page? :p

No one listens to me!

18. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Hehe sorry mate you sure did :) Forgive me but it is so much new information all at once :)

Ok... can anyone teach me how to "come back and fight another day" ? :) I've been getting my bottom handed to me in all possible manners for the last hour or so. House in Temple District where I fight on the second floor. Darn they own me, but I can't stop trying :)

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You might be a bit too low level to take on the Guarded Compound. Although one strategy I find effective is to run into one of the side rooms so that I don't have to take on everyone all at once.

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Splunge could well be right. What are your party levels like? Can you throw Greater Malison, Slow and Chaos out yet?

That fight can be pretty tough early on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.