1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tiredness...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I might end up using around 80£ quite often. On one night. If I'm happy go lucky or just plain bored as hell.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Come on, Barmy. Don't play the innocent downtrodden Yorkshireman card. You know that what you typed in that message was mostly incomprehensible to anybody outside of the North and you love it.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Racist.

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Seems to me that Barmy wrote that right after he got home from three days of drinking and very little resting. If that happened to me, I probably wouldn't be thinking straight and start using language like that too!

Honestly, I never guessed stealing a kip meant taking a nap. I thought its meaning was far worse than that given Ziad's warning and what crazy things may happen when so many guys go drinking. :)

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Apart from the "nicking a kip" reference nothing really stands out. IMO it was quite easy to understand what Barmy meant by that since he used the expression again ("we just nicked a few hours shut-eye").

Or maybe it's just the fact that I got used to read Barmy's posts.

For the record I want to state that I like to learn colourful expressions like the ones Barmy uses. You can't learn that stuff at university (unless you are lucky enough to find someone who is knowledgeable in that linguistic field).

So Barmy please keep enlightening us in the richness of the English language.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Funny how it is the English who make the biggest mess of their own language.

Kitrax likes this.
  7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No? Ever heard of the term: "This is so wrong. But it feels so right."? :D

8. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Caradhras on the point of understanding Barmy's post. I read it just fine, and although I was not familiar with "nicking the kip" the meaning was obvious from concept.

I don't know if this is the way you talk in everyday life, Barmy, but if it is, fine by me. When I don't understand something I'll ask, and I expect you to explain it to me.

With that said:

Barmy: Your last post - uncalled for.(imo)
    Kit and the guys were just joking (ok. quoting four different parts of the post was a bit harsh but still), you got offended, HB reacted... but no need for the insult you used.

My meaning is that you're not your charming self when you post angry and sleep deprived. :p

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Don't worry, I was joking with the guy. Me and Harbs go way back. He's one of few guys on here who's met a Yorkshireman before! ;)

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That's how I read it too. :)

Yorkshiremen... :grin:

11. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Sorry. My mistake. :)
    I keep forgetting that I'm still new around here.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    No need to apologise - it did look a bit dodgy, don't worry about it! :)

Still knackered! Back at work tomorrow as well, not too bothered about that, I'll be honest!

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe you can buy an ointment for that.

:p

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I had no problem reading BA's post, though I would love to find the etymological breakdown for the word "kip" as "nap". As for the party, well, I can't relate that well to it as have never drank before (actually, that's not true, in a rebellious phase I drank a little bit of rum once. Did nothing for me.)

In any event, I am glad you had a good time, BA, and I hope your knackers feel better soon ;)

15. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    A few things...first, a person's accent should be reserved for the *spoken* word...not the written, unless you're RPing and trying to let others know you have a thick dwarven accent. :p

Also, "3 day stag do" is surely *not* obvious to me. I understand that it took 3 days...but when I hear the word 'stag' I either think of a brand of chili or male deer...adding the 'do' just confuses me more. In all rationality, I think you're either doing a can of chili or a male deer. :eek:

As for "Nicking a kip"... The word 'nick/nicked/nicking' means to cut..as in, "Ouch! I keep nicking my chin with this damn razor!" And the only time I've heard the word "kip" was for a unit of measure...so cutting a unit of measure makes no sense to me in the context that you used it :bad:

Ok, I admit I knew what "Blew the roof off" meant...that time I was just giving you a hard time. :evil: I've heard it before, but it's rarely used here.

And finally, "A right good time". I surely *would not* say that. I understand that you had a good time...but why was it "right"? I doubt it could have been left or wrong...so why bother with the "right"? I'm American...we don't add useless words or letters to things. If we want to emphasize a point, we use the word "really"...
    Come on BA, start writing in regular English...something we can all understand. :deadhorse:

With that out of the way... Who exactly was the party for? :hmm: :rolling:

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    I think the majority people can understand what I write. I think even Splunge can as well, he just enjoys pulling my leg*, but he knows pretty much what I'm on about. If you can't, tough doo-doo, I'm not changing what I do just to please you dude. Use your brain a bit, you'll work it out. If you're not willing to do that, just skip my posts; neither really concern me mate!

The party was for my brother-in-law. Really nice fella actually. My sisters found her self a good one there, gawd bless her!

* I await Splunge's little play on that one :p

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is "stag party" not a common reference any more in the US? It was common in my younger years...

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You just aged yourself grandpa. :p :lol: As for your question, I never heard of it, and neither has the wife.

However, she has heard of "Going stag" which means you're going to a school dance without a date. :rolling:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I hear the term "stag party" in Hollywood movies all the time...

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I definitely enjoy pulling two of your three legs. The third one - well, only if I'm wearing gloves. :p

But yeah, I pretty much knew what you were talking about right from the start; if nothing else, I can figure it out from the context. :)

And yes, the term "stag" is pretty common over here.

Edit: Just to be clear, the "third leg" I was referring to is the old, mouldy mannequin leg BA keeps hidden in his closet. :p

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.