1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About Charisma and selling items

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Melhisedek, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Just a quick question... Lets say my main have 17-18 Charisma and I go to shopkeeper and talk to him... If I want to sell things from my companions inventories as well, do I get the barter bonus (if any) or do I have to transfer all the items to my inventory in order to get better sell price?

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    As far as I am aware, your Charisma makes no difference to the selling value of items you are carrying. So you may as well leave them where they are. Just remember that if you have multiples of the same type of item, you should sell them all at once to prevent their value going down at that store.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't think it works that way either.

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The selling prices of gems and amulets don't change according to charisma or by the number you've already sold, so if you want mo' money, you keep them Laeral's tears neclaces, rubies and rogue stones and sell them in chapter 6 to Ribald's collection of 'special items'. Oh, if you want more money you keep those priciest items in SoA with you and sell them later on for double price, to Ribald or to any other merchant in ToB except the ladyknight on top of Watcher's Keep. :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I don't think prices are affected either, not in BG2 anyway. Not sure, though.

The Sahuagin near the temple in their city gives you excellent prices for gems, necklaces etc. even for the ones that are fairly worthless on the surface.
    Keeping a gem bag or two to sell there is a great financial decision :) (especially with stuff like emeralds, Laurel's tears, rogue stones...)

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Well, you nay-sayers made me go and check. I sold 5 sets of Full Plate, 5 +1 Short Swords and 5 Diamonds individually to Ribald. After the first, the Full Plate value dropped from 1500 to 1200 and the swords went from 200 to 160. The diamonds were unaffected.

I stand by what I said. :p

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Decados: Err... I was agreeing with your post actually :confused:
    Prices unaffected, as in Charisma unaffected.
    Of course the price drops when you sell several same items one by one.

I think Silverstar was doing the same (though I can't speak for him/her).

In the case that you were joking, forgive my thick skull. The wax fumes are clouding my judgement right now. :p

8. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Upon re-reading, I think I may have made a mistake. I thought the disagreement was with my final sentence, but it now looks like quite the opposite. Oops!

9. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks guys, I'm "replaying" the game for the third time :( Longest I got was Chapter 2 or 3 where I got overwhelmed with all the quests and got lost :(

I'll probably have million of questions so should I keep them all in this thread or start a new thread called like "help me through the game" or something?

To start things off:

1. I have Minsc using Katana for now and I equiped him with a shield as well. Just wondering if Katana and shield play nicely together? No penalties or such?

2. If I reload and level up a few times will my chances of getting higher HP increase? Or do I always get same amount of HP no matter what (some characters get 12 but others like 6-7)

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    OK:

1) Yes and no. There are no penalties for using a single-handed weapon and a shield, regardless of weapon. However, you should make sure that Minsc has at least one proficiency star in katanas, or he will suffer a 4 point thac0 penalty when attempting to hit with it.

2) To ensure that you get the maximum HP when levelling up, turn the difficulty down, level up and then reset it to what it was. Different characters have different maximums- it all depends on their class and Con. Barbarians get a d12, all other warriors (fighter, ranger, paladin) get a d10, priests (clerics, druids and monks) get a d8, rogues (thieves and bards) get a d6 and mages (and sorcerers) get a d4.

On top of this, characters add their constitution bonus (+1 at 15, +2 at 16, +3 at 17, +4 at 18 and +5 at 19). Note that non-warriors will only gain the benefits of constitution up to the +2 bonus at 16- to get the higher ones, you must be a warrior class.

Not too far into the game, your characters will start getting really low HP increases on level up that are unaffected by constitution. This is entirely normal and happens when they reach a certain level of experience.

Things a bit clearer?

Don't worry overly about the quests- I'd advise doing as many as you can, but the vast majority don't have a time-limit so you can concentrate on one and return to the others later.

11. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks a LOT mate :) Everything is much clearer now! You can expect a few more questions in this thread :)

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    No problem. ;)

Melhisedek likes this.
  13. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Just a reminder:
    1. THAC0 should be as high as possible and AC should be as low as possible right?

2. Can i take stuff from people houses? Will they call guards and so? Also from containers in the city?

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Both thac0 and AC should be as low as possible. Remember that your thac0 is the required d20 roll to hit an AC of 0- the lower your thac0, the easier it is to roll high enough for a hit.

People tend to call the guards if they see you stealing from them- if they can't see then they won't. Containers in the city are fair game.

15. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

A high THAC0 is a bad thing in 2E. You'll want to keep it reasonably low. Twenty is the base THAC0 for an inexperienced adventurer and decreases with your levels -- warriors lose one point per level, whereas priests and rogues get a 3/4 loss (as far as I recall). Mages, on the other hand, only lose half a point per level. A high Strength score will also affect your THAC0, as well as any bonuses from magical weapons or THAC0-enhancing items (such as the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise).

Unlike BG1, you can actually take things from household containers without much trouble. There are a couple instances I can remember where taking things out may cause NPCs to go hostile
    such as the chests in the Unseeing Eye's cultist headquarters, but you can get around that by looting them when you're done with the quest. You might also want to avoid looting temples during the day if you don't want to incur the wrath of Helm's/Lathander's/Talos' followers.

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    In regards to temples: the pickings at Helm's are pretty slim, Lathander's temple is better in terms of value, but also better guarded. Talos' temple is your best bet- barely guarded and of reasonable value.

It should probably be noted that this is implemented as 1 point per 2 levels. You'll never see someone with a thac0 of 16.5, for example.

Indeed. Proficiency beyond the minimum in a chosen weapon (or weapon style) will also grant bonuses.

17. Bluerose Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

IIRC, clerics and druids lose 2 points of thac0 per 3 levels, while both thieves and mages lose 1 per 2. I'm not sure about bards and monks.

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bards are the same as thieves. I believe monks are the same as priests.

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Splunge has it right.

20. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Darn was it the reputation that decided prices in stores? Come to think about it... I think it was :)

Now back to game I have to find some clues about some sword, think I missed this part last time. I remember a lot that happened so far but not this :)

Daaaamn I wish I had more time ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.