1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Leaving reputation

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by The Great Snook, Mar 29, 2008.

?

Do you leave your name when you give rep

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't answer, because it depends on who I'm giving it to.

If I'm giving rep to an SPS account holder, I don't bother to leave my name because SPS members can see who gave them rep points anyway.

If to a non-SPS member, then I usually will now (assuming I remember). I didn't used to, because I thought it was kind of putting the other person on the spot to return the "favour", but then I thought it was kind of like giving a gift, and I always put my name on gifts I give. I don't expect people to give me rep points just because it gave them some.

What I try to do is give an indication why I'm giving rep points (unless the reason is fairly obvious).

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't use the feature out of principle. I simply don't like this sort of ranking. Of course most seem to pretty much ignore it anyhow and the feature has so far been quite irrelevant which I'm quite happy for. :)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not really a ranking. It's just a way to let people know you liked one of their posts.

And if you think that "Rep Power" is a ranking, that's not really accurate. The factors in determining rep power are number of posts, length of time as a member, and rep points received.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've not really used the feature. If I like someone's post and have a comment I'll get into the discussion, if it's just to say "I like the way you think" I'll send a private message (though I do the former far more often). I don't have anything against the reputation system, and wouldn't go so far as to disable it or campaign against it, but it's just not one of the features I personally find useful (though I understand many people do like it).

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Huh? You can leave reputation? My rep's been following me around wherever I go...

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

As Ziad pointed out if you like someone's post especially much you might as well bother posting it and telling them (and everyone else) about it. I've seen some truly childish abuse of similar systems in other forums and though I'm quite certain that the regulars around here are mature enough to abstain from such behaviour I simply don't see much benefit from the system.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The way we have it set up here, it's very difficult to abuse it, and practically impossible without me noticing it. So there really shouldn't be any impediments to anyone using it. Especially since it can be turned off and on at any point for any user.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I don't use it, because it's not a useful feature. Plus, I agree with Morgoroth anyway, so even if it did serve some purpose, I still wouldn't use it :p

Kitrax likes this.
  10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh, as a person who writes and fiddles with words I think it has it's uses...

11. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Hmm, I did not realise you could give reputation points. I was wondering what it exactly does when I disabled it from the profile. Now that I think of it, it is good that I disabled it, mainly because of the same reasons that has been said already. It would be great if it would also remove the whole Rep line from view. The poll should also have a question if you leave reputation at all :-).

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I wish everyone could see who left them reputation. It's only fair in my eyes. Someone pointlessly and needlessly left me a nasty one. Obviously some idiot who's jealous of my good looks and charm, but it's still not nice.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just for that, Barmy, I'm going to leave you a negative reputation, and I'm not going to tell you that it was me.

Harbourboy likes this.
  14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I admit, I wanted to make a multi question poll, but I obviously didn't set it up correctly.

Another questions I wanted to add was "Do you ever leave negative comments?" Personally, I don't think I ever would. I can't imagine ever getting that upset with a post that I would do so.

15. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

BA, I too have gotten a nasty rep post. I guess that sometimes when you do something as awful as ::gasp:: disagree with someone here you deserve all the hate they have to give.

martaug likes this.
  16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Interesting topic. It was only yesterday, when I was making some changes to my profile to show more than the active threads in the last two weeks (which makes some forums look decidedly empty), that I noticed that I had 19 reputation points to give away. "How curious," I thought, "so that's where all these reputation thingies come from." I also saw that there was a specific post which caused my reputation to gain a point, and I suppose I can guess by whom it was given.

All in all, though, it feels a bit superfluous and even though it apparently wasn't intended to be a sort of ranking system, it does feel that way. Why make it visible for evermore that you once found a that someone made a good point, was helpful or whatever? What's the added value? Why not make a post in the respective thread, PM or make a mental note?

In all my ignorance of this topic, I suppose it's not strange that I never realised that you could give negative reputation points too. Can your Rep Power go negative as well?

To return to the poll question of this topic, I suppose that option C would be most appropriate: I don't use the Rep Power system.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I didn't know you had a limit on how many rep points you had until now. Evidently, I have a backlog of 44 points to give away! I better get cracking!

As an aside, I can see where a lot of people did something to me reputation, but if they don't leave a comment, how can you tell if it was a positive or negative one?

EDIT: Also, evidently no one identifies themselves - I see no way when I leave someone a rep point of whether or not to identify myself, and none of the people who added to my rep identified themselves either.

Harbourboy, Kitrax and Shaitan like this.
  18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think I've ever left anyone a rep. I don't remember doing it anyway. It's not as if I think it's pointless, it's a good feature, I'm just incredibly lazy. I've gotten a few though. Some negative, some positive. Some love me, some hate me, as it should be!

martaug likes this.
  19. Splunge

Media:
    No no no! (Also directed at henkie).

You don't accumulate rep points that you then give away. The rep points that you get are given to you by others. The number of rep points that you receive from another person is equal to that person's rep power at the time they give you the points.

You can give other people rep points as many times as you want (subject to Board limitations, such as you can't give same same person rep points twice in a row). Again, the rep points you give each time are equal to your rep power. You aren't limited on the rep points you can give by the rep points received.

Rep power is determined by your number of posts (1 per 1000), length of time as a member (1 per year), and rep points received (1 per 100).

Positive has a green box, negative is red.

You can identify yourself in the comments box.

And no, I don't give negative rep points; if I have an issue with someone's post, I'd rather address that in the relevant thread or by PM.

Stu likes this.
  20. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Well, I learned more than I knew about this rep points thing, and though I am aware of problems in other forums with ratings systems, I agree this isn't that kind of system. I sometimes use it for positive points but avoid negative points - it's been months since I've seen a post on this forum I thought was bad enough to report as abusive and that would be the only kind I would rate negatively, because I like having a place where people can politely express different viewpoints. I often don't particularly agree with a post, or find it interesting, but I'm sure other members sometimes have that reaction to my posts.

Normally I don't leave a comment when I give a point because I'll post a reply if I have much of anything to say (and sometimes when I don't have much of anything to say, of course).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.