1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

EasyTutu - Is there any way to change starting proficiencies of the NPCs?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gafgorkion, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

This is the first time I am trying Tutu. BG1 looks awesome in 1024x768... I can never go back to 640x480 now.

Anyway, I have a question. Is there any way to change the starting weapon proficiencies of the NPCs? In my opinion, Khalid and Jaheira have really bad weapon proficiencies at the beginning. Khalid starts with two points in bastard swords and two points in dual-wield. Jaheira starts with a point in clubs and a point in slings.

I can not even fathom why Khalid was given bastard sword proficiency when there really are not any truly great bastard swords in the game. Long swords are much better, especially with that cold longsword+2 near the Nashkel mines. He also has no starting proficiency in any ranged weapon. Why not?

Jaheira is slightly better, but there really aren't any good clubs either. I always give her a quarterstaff. There is that quarterstaff+1 that is really easy to get in Beregost.

So is there any way to change these starting proficiencies?

On another note, has the enemy encounter rate been beefed up? For instance, in the areas just east of Candlekeep, before in plain old BG1 there would be a single gibberling or xvart in an encounter. With Tutu, there are usually FOUR of them in one encounter. When you just have Imoen and yourself, and both level 1, then four gibberlings at a time is a bit much.

2. jiansonz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Media:
    Since the game is using the BG 2 engine, ShadowKeeper should make it possible to edit your companions, I think.

I do not know of any solution that would work (in advance) for the next playthrough, though (I mean, so they have your desired proficiencies when you meet them).

Yes, the early game becomes more dangerous. I had me, Imoen, Xzar and Monty run for their lives against two Dire Wolves, and then two regular wolves joined which made it even worse. I did make us all survive to the edge of the map, but it cost both my Oils of Speed...

Later on, smaller critters tend to spawn in packs of six, bigger ones (like Ghouls, Huge/Giant Spiders, bears) in packs of 3 or as a pair.

3. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Go to G3 (or perhaps find it here at SP) Dl either SCS or Level 1 NPC's. Both mods give the opportunity to modify your NPC's. Level 1 NPC's is direct minded on editing your NPC's whereas SCS has a lot more to offer.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    If you prefer SK instead of Level 1 NPC's , open SK -> Settings-> Installation Directory -> C:bad:Program Files\BaldursGateTutu\ -> OK

5. -David_W- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

For these purposes, SCS is probably easier to use (you just get an in-game option to choose proficiencies when you meet the NPC in question) but L1NPC is a lot more powerful and flexible.

6. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Also, the next version of Level1 NPC(to be available soon, I hear) will be even more powerful, since it will allow you to use mod NPCs for Tutu and BG2, as well as Bioware ones.

7. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Thank you everyone. I downloaded the Level 1 NPC mod, and it works just like I hoped. Now I have my Khalid with longswords again. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.