1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gumby Questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Brian, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Brian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wow. Lot's has changed here since I first played through SoA and ToB. I just thought of these games a day or two ago and was thinking of playing through again. I'd love to play through with some of the new mods so there are some surprises and I was hoping that some folks here could ease the learning curve by answering some questions.

(1) I have a Mac copy of SoA, but not ToB. Hopefully, however, I'll pick up at ToB on Ebay or something.
    (2) Will the mods folks have created work on a Mac, or are they PC-specific?
    (3) Are the mods basically plug and play, or do I need to be computer-savvy, which I am not?
    (4) Any problems in general with Mac? I played through previously on an PC twice, and once on a Mac, but never with mods.
    (5) Any recommendations for which mods to add. The "Days of Darkness" looks like a must add, so that I can get access to all those kits in SoA. I usually play a ranger kit, but was thinking of playing bard of some sort this time.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Macs are a bit of a black hole here, but hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions.

3. Brian Gems: 1/31

Well, we have a PC desktop and I could get copies of SoA and ToB for that. The PC is the same one I originally played SoA on, so it should be fine performance wise. Mac would be better, but PC advice is welcome...

Brian

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Mac mods are quite easy to install: they are mostly in .rar or .zip archives you have to expand via Stuffit and then run Setup-mod.command(Setup-Kivan.command, for example).

Gibberlings3 have a Mac version for nearly every mod, and most Pocket Plane mods, from Banter Pack to Assassinations, are available for Mac, too. BG2 Macintosh Mods section of the modlist lists them and the rest.

Finally, Loriel's site has very helpful information for Mac users.

5. Brian Gems: 1/31

Kulyok,

Thanks a bunch for that info, as I'd prefer to be able to play a bit over the summer holiday on my Mac (a laptop I can take with me when we leave for the summer). I know, less satisfying than the big screen at home, but it's portable.

Anyone out there have recommendations for mods fitting the following criteria?

(1) I tend to play good-aligned folks (ranger or bard type, stereotypically "Harper" types).

(2) I'd like to add as few mods as possible so (a) there is less for me to screw up and (b) there will be minimal compatibility problems.

(3) I role-play rather than power-game, and would like as much new experiences as possible--new NPC's, new Quests, new dialogue, etc. Thus, I guess (?), I would want to add some of the bigger mods like The Darkest Day, etc., right?

Thanks again. If it looks like the mods are out there fore Macs, I guess I start looking for a Mac ToB to add to the SoA I already have...

Brian

6. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If you want roleplaying, and good dialogue, you may want to avoid TDD althogether. Especially if you don't want to screw up and want a stable installation.

It depends on what gender you play and what class you prefer, but here are some recommendations:
    BG2 Tweaks, BG2 Fixpack - general enhancements
    Banter Pack, Flirt Pack - new banters, dialogue, roleplaying opportunities
    Nalia de'Arnise romance - an excellent romance with Nalia
    Keto, Kelsey, Angelo, Xan, Kivan - new NPCs.
    Dungeon Crawl, Assassinations - new quests.
    Rogue Rebalancing, Song and Silence, Sword and Fist, Divine Remix - kits and class enhancements and changes; read the docs carefully.
    Sword Coast Stratagems - tactics
    Romantic Encounters provide new adventures and new roleplaying experiences.

(The links to Pocket Plane and Gibberlings3 are in the post above).

And as for playing BG1 in BG2 engine, I recommend
    EasyTutu for Mac and BG1 NPC Project.

7. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm kinda new to the whole mod thing, but I really like Tower of Deception. It adds a new dungeon/area and you'll have to think a little to get through it. This part is aimed at the lower level party, but it doesn't end there. In the final chapter, so when your level is up high, someone will come after you for revenge and you will have a very nice high level fight on your hands.
    I don't know if it will work on a Mac, but you can find it at pocketplane.

Amber is a very nice NPC mod aswell. It adds a female fighter thief of the tiefling race, romanceable, a couple of quests to pick her up and to keep her in the party, a number of new items that fit really well into the game (i.e. not way too overpowered).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.