1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I align with Bodhi's Guild or the Shadow Thieves?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sepaen Thunderbow, May 9, 2003.

1. Sepaen Thunderbow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hello. I am trying to decide which side to join. Most of my characters are well aligned, save for Edwin and Viconia. I do not care if I am allied with Bodhi. So, here goes...

1. What guild has most benefits (I don't care about the money, just good items and good experience).

2. If I join Bodhi will I lose reputation, or lose it for doing a task she asks, like killing off shadow thieves?

3. Are there any items/weapons/armors that can only used only by a certain alignment (that I will aquire as benefits).

4. And last, but most importantly, what side is most interesting, or if you can't make up your mind tell me who would like Bodhi's side and what kind of person would like the shadow thieves.

THANX FOR YOUR REPLIES

Sepaen bows to your kindness and wisdom.

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I would go with shadow thieves. the benefits are the same almost and the reward is the same. I don't want to give spoilers but the shadow thieves are goodies and the vampires are baddies and nobody likes baddies....do they?? haha.. well maybe some do!

If you can't make up your mind, make a save game before you join either. then try them both. Save after each one and decide which one you liked most - then carry on. The quests don't take that long anyway!

Scythesong Immortal likes this.
  3. Tolwyn Gems: 1/31

The choice is quite simple in roleplaying terms.
    If yoo have a good party side with the shadow thieves. They are the lesser of the two evils. If you have a evil party choose bhodi.

In terms of experience and items you don't miss out on much in both choices.

conclusion. It doesn't matter much who you choose.

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

1. The treasures are about the same. Most can be gotten in both paths; it's just the question of now or later.

2. No reputation loss for joining either guild.

3. Siding with a particular guild doesn't change your alignment, so your weapons restriction is the same.

4. Pick one now, and then choose the other when you replay the game. That's the easiest way.

5. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It's a purely roleplay decision I think... Except that the vampires are bad and thieves are good... :rolleyes: :)

6. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Thieves aren't good. They are Neutral. Can you imagine a good theif?

"Here buddy, have your priceless gems back. And the gold-encrusted broadsword I stole from you the other day. Oh and here, I felt so bad for stealing your enchanted cloak from your mansion and then selling it to the fence down the road, I feel I need to be you personal servant for the rest of my life..."

You get the idea. :p

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31

There is always Robin Hood :p

8. dshadow Gems: 8/31

I can't imagine many of the shadow thieves swiping your goods then giving them to the poor. :eek:

9. Mediv Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmm.. I always saw the good theif as a "Sorry, But Ive gotta make a living" fellow...

10. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Your good aligned party members will not be happy if you join with Bodhi, and some will leave, though someone else will have to say which ones as I can't remember... The tasks you will do for Aran are more "palatable", Bodhi's tasks are definitely more evil in nature.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

There is always a 'special' thief thats nice to the poor ;)

12. jimbobbibliobus Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] If you want to be fabulously evil, go with Bodhi, because

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

not only do you get to slaughter Aran and the other shadow thieves, but once you return from the Underdark, you get to kill Bodhi as well.

13. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Shadow thieves all the way (I play a thief).
    What quests do you get from Bodhi, do you still have to fight her in the game?

14. rastilin Gems: 8/31

Bodhi = evil slaughter
    Shadow theves = interesting missions

You may need the help of the shadow theves to kill bodhi later on so killing them may be detrimental.

Yes you do still have to fight her.

15. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

IIRC- You can only get Aran's boots if you side with Bodhi, since pickpocketing the boots off his feet would be a feat indeed.

Re:Good thiefs and assasins. They are very possible. They are predominantly information-gatherers (aka spies). They steal computer discs/triggers for horrible weapons/secrets and not cash so much. Although they can kill effectively when they need to.

James Bond would be a good-aligned assasin.

16. Alenthas Gems: 1/31

Ow... This is an old topic. However, I just want to say that people over there, that if you side with shadow thieves, you'll encounter with Drizzt and he'll help you to kill Bodhi. Go go Drizzt! (I dont know if its just me, but I tried SOO hard to get him killed with fight with Bodhi -to take his equipment- That lad is immortal.)

17. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Alenthas, you can ask Drizzt to help you no matter which side you joined (Bodhi or the Shadow Thieves).

Let me disagree with alot of people in pointing out the Shadow Thieves are EVIL. They are not vamps but they are generally a force for greed and other bad things.

There are a few good members such as Mook (whom you can avoid killing) but the majority are either greedy (self-centered neutral alignment) or outright evil aligned. Also they may fight Bodhi (who is evil), but mainly because she moved in on their territory. I don't remember hearing of Shadow Thieves doing quests to make the faerun a better place.

Keldorn and Mazzy leave your party if you join Bodhi's faction but I would just encourage you to drop them from the party before you meet with Bodhi and recruit them back once you have. As both have subquests that may result in them leaving the party for a limited amount of time (depending on what you do) you could simply side with Bodhi during this time period.

To avoid killing Mook: Charm, pickpocket (after having a few potions to boost thieving skills), and leave her inside a building you don't plan to enter again (you can get her to follow you through doorways by telling her to attack a party member just prior to going through the door).

And I usually side with Bodhi for one other reason (SPOILER):

You have to attack her in the game's storyline anyway, so why not do some damage to 2 groups of bad guys rather than just 1?

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I always join with the Shadow Thieves. It just doesn't seem that there is enough background story, for RP purposes, to side with Bohdi. Though, if you have a Mod with an Undead or Vampire kit as the Protagonist , that would change for me...

19. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I'll admit the RP purposes of joining with her are rather slim, but so are the RP reasons for joining the Shadow Thieves.

If you look at chapter 1 grunts from each side have attacked you. And from chapter 2 onward each side tries to use you. And the favors from each tend to end up helping themselves in the long run.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

PPLR - My point was there is no background for your character to side with blood-sucking Vampires. Maybe for an evil cleric, but other-wise i don't see the connection. But, i guess if you sit down and write up a background story, you could make it fit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.