1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Installing Patch

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Marklaker, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Marklaker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I started playing IWD before I knew there was a patch available. Most of my charcaters are now level 8 and 9. If I install the patch now will it screw up my current game and cast of characters? Is there even a need to install the patch at this point in my adventure?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can install the official patches at any time, but it's best to do it before you start playing. It's really not a question whether you should install the official patch or not - it should be your first step after you install the game. If you're playing with HoW installed, only install the HoW patch and ToTL (or just ToTL).

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    TotL already includes all the fixes from the latest HoW patch (1.41) and upgrades to a higher version (1.42). I'm not sure if anything's actually fixed between 1.42 and 1.41 (aside from the obvious additions brought by TotL), but if you've got HoW then just install TotL and you've got the latest version.

4. Marklaker Gems: 1/31

How does Auril's Bane fit sequentially with regard to game play? Do play this MOD prior to Heart of Winter? Does TOtL then flow after HOW?

Thanks!

Mark

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Auril's Bane doesn't really add any new quests (well, it adds a small side quest in Lower Dorn's, but that's about it). It adds a few new shops, a number of items, and completely changes the treasure drops (both set and random) throughout both IWD and HoW (I don't remember it changing anything in TotL). If you are playing the game for the first time I suggest ignoring it. It's a good mod if you're looking for a slightly different gameplay experience on replay, but not something I would have on a first playthrough.

6. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

While you technically can install a patch and continue playing (from the shipped vanilla version and up to current without HoW for example), I had some troubles with it myself the first time, it made some areas impossible to travel so I could not finish the game.

Even if that happens, just load up the savegame, use the "Export character" option in character screen, and just start a new game with the same party, they are going to more or less marathon through the first part anyways.

Had to do that twise my first time through, becose of patches.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That shouldn't really happen, and it never has for me with any of the IE games, so it's more likely a conflict with some mod you had installed.

8. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sorry Tal, but nope. This was my first (well first three) times through the game. I was playing completelly vanilla with no patches at all, and one of my buddies convinced me to install the patch to try the multiplayer part (since he had patched hes version). And after that I was unable to go into the frost giants cave ever after (fixed the bridge and all, just entering frost giant lair was CTD).

Don't worry I managed to get through eventually, but I despised all patches for a good while afterwards :p

Basically put I'm just saying it is possible to continue with teh same characters in worst case scenario.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, that must have been something specific to your install. I've installed every single official Infinity Engine game patch in the middle of my games and they've never caused any problems whatsoever for me. Neither are our forums full of people complaining about the official patches breaking their games. They're not supposed to, naturally, since they've been made to be installed mid-game. But certainly, it's always better to patch before you start playing because some patch fixes aren't retroactive, i.e. they won't fix bugs that you've already encountered.

10. jorj82 Gems: 1/31

not entirely true, taluntain. if you install the patch and then the expansion, it can seriously mess your game. trust me, i've destroyed 2 keyboards trying to play this game lol

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Only if you install the wrong patch, like the expansion patch before the expansion itself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.