1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I read the Pheonix Unchained, the first book in the next series following the Obsidian Trilogy. It was o.k. but it was purely an introduction to the new characters.

I kind of liked how it originally looked like the villain was being set-up to be one of the heroes but after the initial chapters that dropped off completely and the character was so boring that I shudder to think of how tired I am going to be of him before the end of the series.

I started reading Otherland by Tad Williams. I have had the book for years but I have never read it because I was expecting it to be a little too cyberpunk for my taste. It turns out that after 220 pages or so it is just plain bizarre. After every section that I read the first thing that comes to my mind is what on Earth was Williams smoking when he wrote this?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Otherland is ... different but I would say it is worth reading if you have nothing else to read.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Aik

Oh, I see. Well, I could certainly understand why such things shouldn't be condoned or anything even in fiction, but I wasn't aware that it was illegal.

@JSBB

I echo your sentiments. I bought the whole series for cheap a year or so back and could never quite make it far into the first book before putting it away as well. Certainly very different from War of the Flowers or Tailchaser's Song.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    An Introduction to Political Philosophy by Jonathan Wolff.

At least he is a good writer, I suppose. As you may be able to guess, this one isn't entirely for fun.

'Twas fairly good, but I think things got a bit convoluted after the middle. Still, it was worth it- the author had brilliant vision of his future Earth.

6. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Wrath of a Mad God - the latest Raymond E Feist.

7. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Starting the second Harry Potter book tonight. Now that all of them are out, I can read straight through all of them with no multi-year interuptions!

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Darkly Dreaming Dexter- Jeff Lindsay

9. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

'The book thief', by Markus Zusak.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Finished Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps, and all I can say is hells yes.

I dunno why The Black Company was/is his most famous work, as TDNS, Passage at Arms, and The Tower of Fear are all significantly better.

Also finished Sarah Monette's The Mirador, and my estimation of her talents only continues to rise. If you like character driven novels, give her a shot.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am reading J.V. Jones' "The Baker boy" started last night and as of yet I am enjoying what I read.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just finished Aftermath by Roger Williams - depressing nuclear apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic book with an especially bitter ending. Hits all the things I love about this genre.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'm re-reading "The Wheel of Time" for about the 7th time. Loving the first 6 books!

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Ian M Banks - Matter

I love this author. Wonderfully entertaining, and succeeds in the realms of plotting, characterization, and prose alike. For instance:

How could you possibly not love that?

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

About to re-read Ender's Game and start On the Road by Jack Kerouack(sp?) I've only got the latter book on loan from a friend for the next 2 weeks

16. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Space Wolf Omnibus by William King. Really fun read if you like the 40k universe.

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Finally finished Mein Kampf. I have rarely been so bored in my life - it was fortunate for Hitler (though unfortunate for the rest of the world) that he didn't choose to make a living as an author.

Don't worry; I certainly don't agree with Hitler! Reading his book can be informative in a historical sense, or if you want to learn about propaganda (one thing he understood all to well) but don't expect an accurate historical account or a thrilling story expertly told...

Now reading Naomi Wolf: The end of America - Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. Looks very interesting so far - and thanks :thumb: to dmc for recommending it!

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Reaper's Gale - Steven Erikson. So far, it's much better than the last one.

19. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well, let's see...next book I know to be reading for certain is Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal, I'm a bit of a heretic, I like this one more than Lone Wolf and Cub, which I finished just recently.

Then I might be reading Lúnyǔ (The Analects of Confucius), or Matti Rönkä's Tappajan näköinen mies (for all you who can read german and like thrillers, the books been translated into german: Der Grenzgänger)

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

2E Planescape splatbooks - hopefully we can return to gaming before I explode with new ideas inspired by them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.