1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blue Screen of Death: nv4_dsp.dll

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Harbourboy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When I play Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, I always get a crash. When I changed my Admin settings to show a blue screen, I get a message that the problem is to do with nv4_dsp.dll.

Any ideas what I should do next??

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

The file seems to belong to an nVidia graphics card driver.
    If you have a nVidia card, have you tried updating its drivers?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I just tried that, but alas, 20 minutes into my game, it crashed again. Well actually, not so much crashed, as the computer just restarted itself.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some possibilities:

1. A virus.
    2. Overheating due to poor ventilation. Try blowing dust from the fan intake (do this from the inside so that you're not blowing dust into the case).
    3. An over-taxed power supply.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    How about full uninstall (e.g. DriverCleaner), then reinstall? Low probability of making any difference, but still...

6. Harbourboy

I have done the big vaccuum clean job a few weeks ago. This certainly improved things; previously it would shut down much more often and really struggle to start back up again. Plus the fan was making a horrible noise.

Now the fan sounds fine, and the PC doesn't shut down as much, but it now always shuts down within 20 minutes of starting Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. It doesn't seem to do this when playing any of the older versions of Civilization IV.

Any other advice really appreciated.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My father had a computer once that just stopped and restarted.(or not) It was the powersupply. I am not saying that it is, but as Splunge said, it can. His unit came whit the pc and started to give problems after a year or so. Ofcourse you downloaded all the patches for the game. To know what you have try the tools cpu-z, or everest. That way we can check the internet for problems regarding the hardware. I also assume you run XP.

It is the time interval of exactly 20 minutes that hints hardware failure. I am no expert, just an enthusiast.

about the dll file:http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t10593.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  8. Harbourboy

The PC will go all day if I don't play Beyond the Sword, but I can't play that game for more than half an hour at a time before it shuts down. Infuriating!!

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Try reseating your video card. If that doesn't help try going to an older version of your driver. Sometimes just unplugging the computer from the wall for a couple minutes will fix similar problems. OTOH it does sound like it might be an overheating or PSU problem. Do a google search for a program that monitors your temps and see if any are really high. If your video card takes an extra plug in from the power supply make sure that it is plugged in. If all of that fails I would try a different video card and see if thats the problem...although I guess you probably don't have those laying around like me =/

10. Harbourboy

I now have a thing called Speedfan installed. It says that I have the following temperatures (with my PC not doing anything other than surfing the 'net):

System: 41C
    CPU: 53C
    Aux: 50C
    HD: 41C
    Temp1 ACPI: 41C
    Core 0: 56C
    Core 1: 57C
    Core NVidia Card: 60C

How do they sound?

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...140º F on your videocard while only surfing the net? That's pretty hot for not running any games.

I would like to know what your videocard's temp is as you're playing Beyond the Sword. Minimize the game right around the time that it usually crashes and get a temperature reading.

You know, now that I've converted your Celsius temps into something I can understand, your system temp seems a little high too. The system temps for most of the computers I build are in the 80º-90º degree range when the ambient temp is ~72º. :rolling:

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Harbs, that's either cooling or few other things. Can you read the temps while you're in the middle of playing a game, especially if it starts slowing down? Or you could set the temp alarm in BIOS to 70 or 75ºC and then you will know it's overheating.

And your temps are certainly high for a dual core system. They normally don't heat so much, at least the Intel ones, so far as I know. My brother's friend can play games and still have under 40ºC, while my own single-core Pentium 4 (and I mean the Northwood edition, not the superheating Prescott) can go up to 75ºC in CPU-heavy Warcraft 3 maps (a 2003 game), so those dual cores seem to have a clear advantage.

Can you perhaps open your case and shoot a photo or three? I know that's a bit extreme, but I'm being serious. I'd like to take a look at your fans and cables and other such.

What's in the game also matters. For example my own or my brother's favourite Warcraft 3 maps can be quite intense on the resources even if the game itself is from 2003. Lots of data to calculate at all times can quickly make CPU temps go up quite high.

13. Harbourboy

OK, I played 50 turns of Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. The two cores went up to about 65C and the GPU went up to 75C.

Sounds like you are saying that is too high?

14. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

GPUs run quite hot these days and can handle high temperatures with ease. Mine has an idle temperature of 56 degrees Celsius. Overall the temperatures are slightly on the higher side, but nothing to worry too much about IMHO.

15. Harbourboy

So why do you think my PC shuts down when playing Beyond the Sword?

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, your comp's temps ARE high nontheless...

Processor-wise, I think it might be time to apply some new thermal paste. I do so every four months on my own comp, and I have yet to see my CPU go over 55 degrees. I go for silver thermal paste (it's better), and I have an Artic Cooling fan. I have never owned (never wanted to either) a C2D, so I really have no clue how much heat they vent.

HD temp is normal, my 500GB WD usually runs at 40 degrees.

GPU temp gets me a little worried. When vacuuming the case, did you thought of removing the video card and cleaning it's heatsink?

I own a Radeon HD 3870, and this big red monster regularly needs some cleaning up -- same thing with my old X1650 Pro.

17. Harbourboy

I think I might take it to the shop then. I don't think I want to be mucking around with thermal paste or heat sinks. I'm bound to do something wrong.

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It's actually quite easy.

Step 1: remove heatsink.
    Step 2: clean old thermal goo off with a clean, lint-free cloth using 99% IPA (rubbing alcohol).
    Step 3: apply a little thermal paste to the contact surface of the chip...about the size of a grain of rice. I use a razor blade to spread it evenly across the entire chip.
    Step 4: replace the heatsink.

That's it. :rolling:

19. Harbourboy

First problem: I don't even know what a heatsink looks like.

Note that it took me 45 minutes to work out how to get the side panel of my case when I was trying to vacuum the inside of it. Mental note: it SLIDES out rather than popping straight out.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Since your CPU is a CD2, you have a LGA775.

The heatsink is that huge metal cylinder with a fan on top. I assume yours is an Intel box cooler, so there should be an Intel sticker on it.

At each corner of the headsink, you will black pins with a flat head slot and a directional arrow on each of them. This is what holds the heatsink in place on your mobo. Take a flathead screwdriver and 'unlock' the four pins, and the heatsink will come off. It's then a simple matter of cleaning the old paste with rubbing alcohol, as Kit said, and a clean cloth. Then apply the new paste, once again as Kit said, about the size of a grain of rice.

Spreading it with a razor blade is optional. I personally do not do it since the thermal paste will spread when putting the heatsink back on.

Once this is done, put the heatsink back. You'll have to snap the black pins in the motherboard before locking the pins in place. Once again, use the flathead screwdriver to press until you hear a click. It's CRUCIAL to make sure ALL FOUR are TIGHTLY locked in place, because if it's not, you might find your CPU heating VERY fast (thanks to uneven heat distribution), but your comp will let you know if the heatsink isn't properly on.

One of the reasons why I hate the LGA775 socket is the heatsinks are a pain in the A to put on and remove.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.