1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Have you ever...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Mongerman, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Loved a certain game, but just cannot get into a similar game? For me, I loved BG2 and fallout, but I just can't get into playing arcanum, which at first glance seemed like a combination of BG2 and fallout. I liked KOTOR, but not vampire the masquerade, I liked ninja gaiden and DMC3, but not GOW etc etc.

Any similar experiences?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    BG2 set the benchmark for how all other RPGs are judged for me. It litterly took effort for my to play IWD and IWD2. I tried playing ToEE, but I gave up. :rolling:

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    After playing through the BG saga for the first time, it seemed ToB's point is the possibility to wave your epic ***** around for a few hours. A feeling I still have.
    IWD I&II are just simply boring, maybe it gets better when you play online?

Also, I can't play any other Heroes of M&M than III and other Command and Conquers than the Red Alert duo.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Pretty much a normal thing with me. ;) I just can't make myself start playing Arcanum, no matter I've had it for years now and my brother has played at least twice.

5. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

I can't play any other Heroes of M&M other then 3 as well! And no other MM other then MM6.

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Similar to Kitrax and Trellheim: I love BG, but wasn't as able to get into other titles as much. I do have a higher opinion of IWD than them, but NWN was awful and I simply cannot get used to the way Planescape works.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You'll never look back once you get used to PS:T. It's the best RPG ever made in my humble opinion. BG2 not too far behind, but PS;T is superior.

8. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

How could I forget planescape! Best rpg ever in my opinion as well. Only problem, it doesnt have much replay value since the main attraction is the storyline

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Sigh - yes, I played PS:T and no other RPG really measures up after that. I mean, BGII is awesome in its own right, but it's .... just not Torment.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Might and Magic 6 has yet to be overthrown in my book. MM7 was notoriously inferior, though I enjoyed the path of Dark. MM8? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Yeah, it's quite common. Loved BGI & II, can't really get into IWD and its sequel. Which is a shame, because I really liked IWDII's character creation and 3E rules. ToB didn't exactly float my boat, either. PS:T is just unique, the best RPG ever. Now, this is going to shock people, but I could never get into Fallout. Turn-based games are a complete turn-off for me. I hate having to wait to respond in combat. I hate Action Points. I hate chess. I hate the way that computers rose above the need for turns ages ago, but some people still think these games are a good idea. Baldur's Gate showed the way - hell, even the original Space Hulk had a better system. So imho, Fallout had no excuse. It's a shame, because I did like the gameworld, the skills and the interactions. But combat is unavoidable, and if it makes you gag the game isn't going to work.

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Exactly. Although I prefer BG to BG2.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't think I have this problem. I always know exactly why I cannot get into the similar game, and it's usually not because it does something different or "not quite the same" or anything that I can vaguely identify. Rather it's because of certain very specific issues or design decisions with the game. The most recent example is one I'm playing right now. I picked up Arx Fatalis because I read it was the spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld, which I love. Arx is a good game, with some very strong elements, but it has some very glaring flaws that made me almost quit playing an wipe the thing off my drive. It's not that it doesn't do these things the same way as UW did, it's that it simply does them very badly.

:thumb:

I like all 3 of them, though 6 is my favourite. I don't consider MM7 to be "notoriously" inferior. It didn't feel as fresh as MM6 did, but it was a big improvement in many ways (the races, the revamped skill system, the extra classes, all were big improvements). I also seem to like MM8 more than most people. It's certainly not good as either 6 or 7, but it's still a good game, and a LOT better than many.

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

MM7 was more polished than MM6. true, but in terms of difficulty and enjoyement, MM6 kept me on my toes till the very end. I remember the first time I ended up in Sweet Water - the creepy music, the feeling of impending doom... MM7 has nowhere near provided me with the level of difficulty and enjoyement MM6 did.

If MM6 was ever to be ravamped with the improvements of it's followers - the new classes, skills - you would have the perfect game, even though in my book, MM6 will ALWAYS be a timeless classic. It's worth keeping my old Win98 1st Ed 128MB RAM Celeron 600 just to play this gem.

MM8 was so much cheese I wondered when 3DO turned into a pizzeria. Seriously, the NUMBER of artifacts/relics you find in the game is absolutely cheesy. In MM6 and MM7, artifacts and relics always were precious treasures one got all giddy finding. In MM8? "Oh crap, another freaking artifact/relic. I'm starting to run out of space to store all this junk". Not to mention you get rich ridiculously fast in MM8.

It's not all bad, though... I liked MM8's hireling system.

The older MM games - from Secrets to World of Xeen - also have always been top-notch games in my book, despite being old and unpolished.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't think that has ever happened to me for RPGs. The best example I could think of is those fighting games. I loved the classic Street Fighter series but I can't get into any other fighting game, like Mortal Kombat or the arcade ones with all those power moves. The reason being I don't know all the moves of each character anymore and don't really want to take the time to learn them.

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I Loved Warcraft II and Age of Empires II, but Warcraft III, Agoe of Empires III and Starcraft were harder to get into (even though I did finish AoE III).

17. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I tried playing the 'modern' M&Ms (6/7/8/9) but couldn't get 'into' them. I particularly disliked the way the TB/RT combo was implemented (when I discovered Wizardry 8, my first thought was "this is what M&M should have been like!"). Oddly enough, I got hold of 4&5 and liked them a lot more, despite their age.
    To my great shame, I must confess that, after an enormous amount of time trying to convince myself I like (A)D&D-based games, I've come to the sad conclusion that I actually don't really like the system at all, and the only reason I've liked Dark Sun, PS:T and KotOR was either because of the peculiarity of the setting, or the general streamlining.

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got to use an F-14 Simulator a number of years ago -- a full-blown simulator with hydraulics and screens all around the cockpit. I've never been able to get into ANY computer flying/driving/riding game since....

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Thinking back, you're right, MM6 did have some atmospheric moments that the others lacked. The huge ambush room in the Temple of Baa in Ironfist made me scream at my PC the first time I played through. Sweet Water was an incredibly creepy place as well.

Ever heard of Mok's patch? :D
    There's also one for MM7 and another for MM8. With the patches all 3 games are playable flawlessly on WinXP. The MM6 patch also fixes some very annoying bugs in that were still present in the last official version. I never play without it anymore.

:lol: I agree MM8 is more unbalanced and far too easy. Dragons are waaaaay too powerful, and there are too many artifacts. The ability to recruit some of the level 50 characters very early in the game was also not a good design decision.

I thought MM3-5 were quite polished actually, especially WoX. The first 2 games have big problems, but that's not too surprising considering their age. I still found the first game to be very enjoyable, even though I played it only a few years ago for the first time.

20. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I loved Diablo and Diablo II, yet Hellgate:London never quite did it for me. Just something about it. I think it was the repiditiveness. They re-used the same terrain over and over. Same with the monsters.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.