1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Roleplaying Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by ZombieTonyBlair, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ZombieTonyBlair Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm planning out a second play through of all three games and I would appriciate some advise on the party I'm planning. Right now I am planning on having Aerie, Minsc, Jan, and Mazzy.

1. What is a good build for minsc that doesn't stray too far from his roleplaying nature. There aren't too many good two handed swords he can use in TOB, but it seems like a crime against nature to deprive him of some sort of sword. Are there any Mods that fix his Beserker trait, so he doesn't murder the entire party when I activate it?

2. Are there any mod-NPC's that would go well with this party? I'm not very familiar with any of the Mod NPC's.

3. Is it worth downloading the banter pack from this party?

4. I'm thinking of having my main character be a dual class Kensai. Should I dual at 12th level or 13th level to get the extra +1 attack and damage and use of the Kai ability?

2. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I can only give a decent answer to no. 1, hopefully this will help:

I fell the same way about Minsc. Minsc without swords is... not Minsc. Luckily, he starts out with 2 points in 2-handed swords AND two-weapon style, for being a Ranger and all.

So if I were you, I'd rely on weapons like Lilarcor and the Silver Sword for the duration of SoA. In the meanwhile, spend all his proficiency points maxing out 2-Weapon Style and Bastard Sword. Then in ToB, you could have him dual-wielding those +5 bastard swords (one of them is called Foebane, forgot the other name, sorry).

If you take the time to max out Long Swords as well, you could also use Angurdaval in one hand, granting you a 22 STR. Then you leave that Girdle of Giant Strength free to be used by Mazzy (or your char, depending on the class you chose).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  3. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Banter pack is definitely worth it.

Xan has three voiced banters with each of these NPCs. (Yes, even for Bioware ones. It's a trick. :) ) He is also available as Fighter/Mage, Mage, or Sorcerer.

Kivan has great banters with Aerie.

Also, Kelsey the Sorcerer is a classic. But I'd advise you to take another fighter-type.

4. ZombieTonyBlair Gems: 1/31

I think i'm going to be running Mazzy, Minsc, and my main char as frontline fighters, and I have thief mage and cleric covered so that last slot is wide open. I was going to give Mazzy longsword plus sheild to fit the classical image of a knight in shining armor.

Is that Xan from the first BG?

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

1)I use Minsc with two weapons usually. There's no reason why his main weapon can't be a sword (go for Bastard Swords in ToB).

2)Mod NPCs for your party are hard to suggest without knowing your playing style. Since you have no Druid, I think Jaheira is a great fit for the party above.

3)It's always worth downloading the Banter Pack... especially with Minsc and Jan.

4)With a full party I suggest dual classing your Kensai at level 9. Waiting for 12 or 13 really tests my patience, and I don't like playing with 6 characters like you have. BTW, what class are you dual classing your Kensai to? Mage, Thief, Cleric (really bad choice), Druid? Personally, I think a Berserker is a better class than Kensai.

6. Raven_BWL Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Dual at level 13 for the extra half attack. Another good possibility is level 9 (regain Kensai abilities far more quickly, maybe preferable for a full party of 6 members). Reason I say 9 and not say 8 is for max hp (hp increase drops off to a fixed +3/level regardless of Con bonus after level 9 for fighters) and the extra proficiency point.

7. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Imo, the big fella should always be using a two-handed sword :) Gram the Sword of Grief is certainly a worthy weapon, and Psion's blade comes in handy as well...

8. ZombieTonyBlair Gems: 1/31

I'm either going to go Kensai Thief or Paladin. Both to use the Holy Avenger Sword (although it will take a while for the kensai)

Playstyle wise, I really hate baby-ing mages, so Jan's going to be on crossbow detail 24/7 with the occational tenser's tossed in, and Aerie will hiding in terror most of the time (just like Edwin does in my current game).

I played with Jaheria this time through, and although she's good, her personality grates on my nerves, and I want this time through to be happy silly party for goodness. I was thinking maybe using Valgar (is that his name?) for the Mazzy banter, since Mazzy is my favorite character so far.

Is there anyway to tweak the rules to make Minsc into a Barbarian (avec a pet hamster) or allow backstabing with two-handed swords?

9. ZombieTonyBlair Gems: 1/31

Where is The Sword named Gram? I don't think I found it in my current game.

10. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

It is loot from Abazigal when you beat him in ToB.

11. ZombieTonyBlair Gems: 1/31

Considering that I'm in the middle of that fight currently, that would explain why I haven't found it yet.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'd disagree that 2-handed swords are not as good; Hethan suggested a couple of decent ones. Other than that, dual-wield bastard swords I suppose (or possible axes- they can be pretty awesome as well).

Yes, always.

For the reasons that touchofthevoid explained, 9 and 13 are considered the optimum levels for dual-classing.

Do you mean that you are deciding between playing a Kensai/Thief or a Paladin, or that you a going to dual to either a Thief or a Paladin. If it is the latter, you should keep in mind that it is not possible to dual to or from a Paladin. It looks like you know, but I thought it would be best to make sure. ;)

You are considering having a thief use Carsomyr and called the thread '
    Roleplaying Party'? Shame on you. :shame:

To the first: there are a couple of tweaks that change Minsc's class floating around, but I think you may as well download Shadowkeeper as it is useful to have around, not just for class-changing.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_editors.php

As to the second: not as far as I am aware. Besides, Kensai/Thieves can be deadly enough as it is; why would you need to backstab wth a 2 handed sword?

Yes, he is available in BGII via a mod:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=164&Itemid=113

Incidentally, Kulyok is the author.

13. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

There's a mod from G3 wich ie could change Minsc to a multiclass C/M :) or other weird combos. It's called level 1 NPCs and is coded by a (some) pure genius(ses).

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Ah, forgot that one. Good catch, Shaitan.

15. ZombieTonyBlair Gems: 1/31

Hey, if my Thief is so smooth that he can trick an intelligent sword into thinking he's a paladin I don't think that violates the spirit of role-playing. :rolleyes:

I had Xan in my party in BG1 for about 45 seconds while I saw how cool the Moonblade animation was, but then he started talking and I left him at the bottem of the iron mines.

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Heheheh. :) The bit about Xan was very good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.