1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric/Thief multi and dualclass

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Sjerrie, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Sjerrie Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Greetings after a period of absence. :)

After searching the forums and several FAQs I've noticed a serious lack of discussion on the cleric/thief combination. Why is that? :p Is it such a crap combination, or is it the lack of racial possibilities? (gnome for multi, human for dual?)

I'm asking this because the party for my next game still lacks both a cleric and a thief...

So... what are your thoughts on the Cleric/Thief combination? :)

P.S.: If needed, I can post my party thus far.

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

the only problem I can think of with them is that they might not be able to backstab, because the cleric is restricted in weapon selection, and not all weapons can be used for backstab (and I dont think maces and warhammers can).

I would say a Ranger/cleric is a better combination. you get a mix of druid and cleric spells, you can sneak around, and your proficiencies and THAC0 will be much better.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I soloed a gnome cleric/thief in SoA/ToB. It can be a very powerful class. Gnomes make good characters -- you should also be able to make a half-elf (not as good as a gnome). I'm not sure how the game mechanics are different with IWD -- in BG you could backstab with a club or staff.

Are you taking a druid? (a good choice for IWD)
    Is this going to be your only divine caster? (not advisable)
    How many are in the party? (multiclasses level painfully slow in large parties)

4. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

That's not true. Half-elves can't be cleric/thieves. Only gnomes. Or you could go for a human dual-class. Just take a thief up to level 7-8 (to maximize Open Lock and Traps) and then dual class to a cleric.
    Gnomes are not that useful as clerics since they have a -1 to their Wis. You will also not be tempted to use the potion of Holy Transference (-1 Dex for +2 Wis).

5. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

and half orcs

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Half-Orcs are permitted to be C/T's under 2nd edition rules, but not in IWD. I stand corrected about half-elves.

The -1 to wisdom doesn't hurt much in IWD. But it doesn't help either.

As I said, the cleric/thief can be a very fun character to play. It can be a challenge in a party situation.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Most people don't even think about the cleric/thief because they don't know how useless wisdom is for clerics and think a cleric with less than 18 wis is crippled.

The rest just knows about the weakness of the cleric/thief.

So only a few players who don't want a very powerful party remain.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

They only get 1 weapon slot, that annoys me (but it's doable).

I get just about all I want out of Thieves after about 8-10 levels, so the dual works well for me.

9. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Uhm, no. That's not my point. Is not useless at all. You get bonus spells depending on your wisdom.
    The fact is, they didn't implemented the feature of no spells above level 6 for clerics with less than 18 Wis, except for the manual. Regardless, a cleric/thief is the worst combination for a thief. You need to invest in Dex, Wis and Con. And even some Str if you plan to use him in melee.

10. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I will have to agree that Cleric/Thief is not exactlly an optimal build. But as most other things it can work out nicelly. Generally speaking I would prefer to separate them and give each fighter levels (F/T and F/C or R/C for example) As having warrior levels really helps in this game.

One of the easiest parties to make efficient I have seen is Fighter, fighter/Thief, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Wizard. The only loss is slightly slower cleric progression. Multi or dual as you see fit.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    In my last game I had the Cleric, Wizard and Thief multiclass as fighters. It works very well for all of them. The F/C can actually make a very good fighter with some buffing, and the F/T is an incredibly good backstabber, especially with the Strength bonuses. Less skill points isn't a problem for a F/T (you don't need that many anyway). Slower spell progression can be annoying for the F/C, but I was playing on Insane so that was not really a problem.

12. Sjerrie Gems: 2/31

Veteran

Thanks for the replies so far!

Powergaming will not be an issue, as I intend to go for a good role-play. (I also want to try and write a story around it as I go along.) I was also curious about the backstabbing, since hitting someone on the head with a hammer from behind doesn't exactly constitute a backstab.. :D (though imho the effect should be the same :p).

My party thusfar:

1) Elf, mage
    2) Dwarf, ranger
    3) Dwarf, fighter/mage
    4) Druid, probably gnome or halfling
    5) Cleric/thief, probably gnome or halfling (maybe human..)

Yes, I know some of those choices aren't officially possible, but as I said, I finf roleplaying more important (this time at least) and out-of-the-ordinary characters are just the thing to get that going. Forgive me, lol.. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  13. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Officially impossible is just cherry on the cake. But they are also atrocious. Dwarf mage? No arcane pussies when it comes to being a dwarf.
    Try to play a party of dwarves once, with only official classes. :D

14. Sjerrie Gems: 2/31

Veteran

I hear you Redrake, but that's exactly why he's part fighter. ;) Soften up the opposition with a fireball (maybe one from the elf too) and then move in with a waraxe to finish off whatever's still standing.. :D)

I like your idea of a dwarf party though... :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.