1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tolkien Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It seems that the Tolkien heirs believe that they have been short changed on the film revenues from the LoTR films. They filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court yesterday seeking $150 million from New Line Cinema Corp. and Katja Motion Picture Corp. and hired a well known firm to represent them (Greenberg Glusker).

I could download the documents, but I don't feel like paying the cost and you know that TMZ.com or one of those sites will have it soon enough, so I'll link to it when I find it on the web.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They're a bit late to the party, aren't they? I assume it's something that's come up during Jackson's settlement that's caught their attention...

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  4. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Didn't they initially state that they wanted no part of the association with the LotR series of films? Now that they realised how big the pie is, they want a piece of the action. Give'em nothing, I say.

On a related note, EA are probably somewhat nervous regarding the ruling, given that (IIRC) they licenced their line of LotR games from NLC.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I know that Christopher Tolkien wanted no part of it - in fact I have heard that he disowned his son Simon because he went to see the first film and spoke nicely about it - but I don't know about the Tolkien Estate as such. If they stroke a deal with New Line Cinema, they must have wanted a part in it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.