1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another Game Recomendations Thread

Discussion in 'Playground' started by guguma, Feb 3, 2008.

1. guguma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello Everybody,

There is another post just like this but I had to do it again if you do not mind.

I have a stupid laptop with ATI x1150 onboard graphics adapter, And I am in need of a quality game that I can get submerged in it.

I will be grateful if you would recommend me some. I am posting some of the games I have played and I will rate them to help you assist.

Thanks in Advance

I have played and liked:

RPG

Baldur's Gate 1&2 5/5
    Fallout 1&2 5/5
    Neverwinter Nights 1 + 2 expansions 3.5/5
    Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines 5/5
    Icewind Dale 1&2 3.5/5 (great combat (especially 2) but no rpg)
    Arcanum 2/5

Stategy

Total Wars except Medieval 2 4/5
    Civilization 2&3 3/5
    Warcraft 3&2 3/5, 4/5
    Command and Conquer series 2/5
    Commandos Series 3/5

FPS
    Halflife 1&2, Farcry etc... 1.5/5
    Hitman Series 5/5

I cannot remember anymore but you can get what I like and what I do not. I felt totally submerged into the game when I played Baldurs Gates,Fallouts, (Gee, what a shame Black Isle is no more), Hitmans and VTM.

I can use a good realistic (please no aliens or genetic dudes) FPS which does not ask korean reflexes to play. I would play S.T.A.L.K.E.R without a second thought but my computer sucks at high end graphics games.

I would love a good D&D game but I do not think there are left any.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hold the phone! Half Life 1&2 1.5/5? Are you serious? They are amongst the greatest games ever to grace our screens. I don't want to hear anyone say that it's a matter of tastem, because it's not. The Half Life games are spectacular whether they are too your tastes, or not. Pure class!

My advice would be World of Warcraft. Or get a better machine and play CoD4 - that's terrific.

The Witcher is cool, but I don't think your graphics card could tackle it. You'll probably not be able to play the best games out right now, so that's why my main recommendation is WoW.

3. guguma Gems: 2/31

I agree half-life 1 and 2 are both milestones in gaming history. I want to take your attention to this point though. I rated them among the games I really liked.
    Half-lifes deserve at least 8/10 in terms of gaming, but when I compare the enjoyment I had between Bladur's Gate 2 and Half-life 1 or 2, I have no choice to but to give 1.5 to half-life.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apples and oranges, really. Trying to compare an RPG to an FPS is like comparing a Ferrari to a flat screen TV. Totally different things.

Having said that, based on your enjoyment of the Hitman series, you might want to try one of the Splinter Cell games.

Even better, play System Shock 2 if you don't mind older graphics. IMO, the best mix of FPS and RPG so far.

Edit:
    Ah, I think I see your problem. Gating your bladder is never a good idea. :p

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Since you liked Warcraft, you should definitely get Starcraft. You can get the Battle Chest (game with expansion) for less than $15 and it's a steal at this price.

There is one good D&D game you've missed. Temple of Elemental Evil is one I always recommend. Don't expect amazing role-playing, but the combat system is the best I've seen in a CRPG. Pure tactical bliss.

There's of course Planescape Torment :)

If you liked Hitman, there's a very good chance you'll like Thief. The first 2 games are amazing (never played the third) and definitely worth your time. Both System Shock games are also highly recommended. Well, anything with Looking Glass on it will be good!

As for Half-Life, I admit I'm not a great fan, and 10 years later I've yet to see how this game was a "milestone". Nothing it did hadn't already done before, except perhaps that no previous game had abused scripted events to the point of irritation. Sorry Barmy, but I'll argue for matters of taste ;)

Montresor likes this.
  6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Argue all you like mate, but you're wrong :p.

7. guguma Gems: 2/31

ROFLMAO

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Planescape: Torment is definately something you should play. I can't really describe how good it is.

Geneforge 1&2 (4 as well, probably, though I haven't played it yet) should be up your alley. Sure, Jeff Vogel has no sense of aesthetics, but the games are ridiculously good when it comes to being an RPG. www.spiderwebsoftware.com
    I played them in that completely immersed kind of way, where you sit down and play until its finished in every spare moment. The same variety of awesome that the BGs, Fallouts and Ps:T provide.

edit: Hrm, and check out Deus Ex too.

9. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

yeah, I second the Starcraft suggestion. Its a very good single player campaign - its long and varied, with a good storyline. Its also one of the best balanced RTS games ever made.

Probably a stupid question, but have you played Diablo II? If you havent, its one of the most addictive games ever made.

10. guguma Gems: 2/31

Unfortunately I have played Starcraft, Diablo 1&2, Thief 2 and HOW COULD I FORGET Planescape Torment.

I did try the Splinter Cell games but the old Splinter Cell's have an issue with dual core CPU's and they are simply unplayable even though you set the affinity to only one core, and the new games ask for powerful GPU's.

I will have a look at this Geneforge series though and I found a game called Death to Spies which says it is a stealth action russian spy hunting game :), might be interesting.

Thanks for your replies but I would like it if you would keep them coming.

11. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Deus Ex. In my opinion, it outclasses Half Life by quite a way.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Dues ex 2 is a nice combo of shooter and rpg. It is not called dues ex 2 but dues ex ??? ???.

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's called Deus Ex: Invisible War, but it's nowhere near as good as the original Deus Ex. Both are an interesting mix of FPS and RPG, with the original being a more successful mix, and having a much better thought out story. But what's really great in Deus Ex is that you are free to choose how you tackle each problem. You can go in Doom-style, and blast everything that moves, or you can sneak your way around and complete your objectives that way.

And since you've played the other Total War games, I can highly recommend Medieval 2. It's currently available (here, anyway) as a single package including its expansion, Kingdoms. I understand the expansion is pretty good too, though I haven't played it myself yet. A problem could be that your system might have difficulties handling the realtime battles.

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Since you enjoyed VtM:Bloodlines I'd have to recommend Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War. If you can get past the (somewhat dated) graphics of the original it is easily the finest fps/rpg in existence. The 2nd one does get a lot of criticism directed it, but this is mainly from those who loved the first and felt the 2nd one was dumbed down (they removed skill points, simplified the ammo system, reduced the number of bio modifications and most of the levels were a lot smaller, because the xbox only had 64mb of RAM). IMHO its still one of the best and most immersing games I've ever played, but it's quite different than the original (and I guess most people were hoping to get more of the same).

They should both be going pretty cheap (you can get both together on steam for $20).

15. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Well, if you enjoy RPGs, there is Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2.

As for shooters (without the aliens and superhumans), there is Max Payne 1 and 2.

And as a wildcard, Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

All these are great games that I can think of on the top of my head.

16. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

What do you guys think of TOEE? What is it like with mods and 3rd party patches?

What is the maximum level?

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    ToEE is great. If you like detailed turn-based combat with D&D rules it's the best you will find. Maximum level is 9, but that can be taken up if you install the Co8 mod. Speaking of the Co8 mod, it fixes a lot of bugs that were left after the official patches, reactivates some inaccessible areas in the game and adds a lot of new content. I thought the new content was good, but it does stick out from the rest of the game (though in many cases this seems to be by design). A number of the other, smaller mods floating around have been incorporated into the Co8. I'm not sure if you can still pick and choose which components you want to install (IIRC you can't anymore), so I'm not sure if I recommend using it on the first playthrough. Fixing all the bugs does make the game much more enjoyable though, so you may want to install it and just ignore the extra content if you don't like it.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    AWESOME game. Thumbs up there my son. Also, Sacrifice is a hidden gem of the PC games world. Well worth a go.

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Dungeon Keeper II is an old favourite of mine. I loooove being evil! :evil:

20. Condor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Since you enjoyed the Total War series, I feel compelled to mention Europa Universalis 3. It's a bit slow paced but challenging and fun and with an almost infinite lifespan.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.