1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How much sleep do you need?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    The short answer is, "far more than I actually get."

I usually function on 5 hrs per night; rarely more, often less. 6.5 hrs would be ideal, and anything more than 7 would be pure decadence.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I used to get by on five or six hours a night. I always felt worn out. Now I get ~8 and feel much better.

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    7 hours. I can do without 7 but I get grumpy.

4. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I need b/t 7.5-9 hours to truly be functional. I can do with less for a short time, but too long and I start becoming a hazard to myself and others.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  5. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Ideally, 10 hours at least. Anything less than 6 and I'd be cranky although I can live with it.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

9-10 for the best performance.

During weekdays usually just 8 will do. Damn computer keeping me awake.

7. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Need 8, usually get about 6.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

8-9 hours for me

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    8-9 here as well.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Far more than I get...I tend to get quite worn out and tired from work but the moment I step inside my home I'm frickin wide-awake...not good with my changing roster...

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I'm a new father, so if you mean uninterrupted sleep, I'm lucky if I get more than 4 or 5 hours. Over the course of a night, I usually get 6-7 during the week, 8-9 on weekends (although I haven't got that much uninterupted sleep since last year).

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'd say about 6-7 hours to be perfectly functional. However I do enjoy sleeping more when I can. Less than 6 and I'm a zombie who's brain power seems to be cut in half. Once when a huge paper was due the day after, I only slept 4 hours. Let me tell y'all this day was really more a Flix of the dead thingy. :lol:

13. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i sometimes get round 4 but then i'll be half asleep on the bus/train ride to work.

i think ideally i would get round 6, but i will sleep for 12 if i can get away with it

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I forgot to mention, when I am sick, like I am right now; I will (try to) sleep 10 hours at a time, and only stay awake 2-3 hours at a time.

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Up until a year or two ago, I would function perfectly on five (5) hours of sleep out of 24. This would go on for years, with no noticeable effects - no moodiness, loss of attention or coordinaton.

Since 'the end of my youth' :rolleyes: I lean more towards six or seven for proper functioning; if I push myself into five hours now I'll be dopey for a while that morning (though it almost completely clears up), and going several days will have a cumulative effect.

Mind you, I don't mind lazing around in bed for another couple of hours, if I've got the time; I can nap away a total of maybe nine or ten hours if I'm off for a while. But even consciously I won't do that more than a single day out of a 'week' - I'll get up outta bed bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and do stuff voluntarily if I 'recharged' just a couple of days ago.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

10pm to 5am usually works for me.

17. nunsbane

nunsbane

5 to 6 hours works for me. Although, sometimes I can't sleep and will go a couple of working days without sleeping at all....fortunately, I don't need any real cognitive ability at my job and can function there in a haze.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can cope with around 6 hours but I prefer around 8-10. On weekends I can sleep for 11-12 hours, but if I oversleep I wake up tired anyway.

19. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

6 hours is enough. And even I'd like to sleep a little longer there is always someone to wake me up (=wife or daughter)

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

4-5. I usually get more but sometimes I'll go through a spell where I just can't sleep or have stuff to do and will go 4-5 hours for a couple weeks. Never really bothered me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.