1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Class/Race/Alignment specific items

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by AMaster, Jan 21, 2008.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm a few days away from embarking on my first IWDII game, and I'd like to know which (if any) classes/races/alignments have uber items available in the game. Thanks!

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

There's no item in the game which is worth choosing a specific race/class/alignment for.
    Transmuters with high alchemy skill, Paladins and Dreadmasters of Bane can get a (different) permanent stat boost each during the game, but it's not too important.

Acrux likes this.
  3. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

The only class that I know for sure *doesn't* have any unique items is the Barbarian. That wouldn't stop me from using one, though.

I can't think of any race-specific items, either, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Like kmonster said, there's no single item that would make or break my decision to use a class -- there's plenty of great weapons and armor/robes for everyone.

Many people will add a level or two of paladin to appropriate builds, because all paladins in the party will get the stat boost. Again, that wouldn't necessarily effect my decision to add those class levels. They're a nice bonus, but not game usually game-changing.

4. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

One point worth noting: in my first game I had my lead character as a paladin and thought with her high charisma, she would be the spokesperson and diplomat. What I didn't realise is goody goody paladins usually turn down rewards... Which is a pain in the early stages when money is scarce. You'll be broke during the early part of the game and then will have so much money you won't know what to do with it by the end. I wish the money thing was a bit better balanced really.

There is a Holy Avenger sword in the game but you won't get it until near the end. If you make a paladin (or even take one level of paladin to use it) then give that character large swords, as it's a longsword not a two hander (like Carsomyr in BG2).

Second, don't neglect diplomacy and bluff skills - you can get some additional exp at various points with these. In my second run through I made my leader a very charismatic tiefling rogue and had a much easier time.

There's one very expensive hally you can buy in chapter 5 which is worth getting but only works for evil and neutral characters. I had an evil fighter with polearms and got that for him, it was pretty nice.

5. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

One note here:

There is a Holy Avenger sword in the game but you won't get it until near the end. If you make a paladin (or even take one level of paladin to use it) then give that character large swords, as it's a longsword not a two hander (like Carsomyr in BG2).

Weimer's Ease-of-Use mod has components that will change Holy Avengers to 2-handed swords, and also to dispel on hit. It's quite useful for players who are expecting the H. A.s to work like they do in BG2.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I'm pretty sure there's an *evil-only* sword (long??) that you can pick up by attacking those barbarians after the Ice-Temple, provided the eccounter ends with them dying of course..

7. Cal Jones

Ah yes, it's a berzerking sword though isn't it? I know it's cursed anyway - I usually sell it.

8. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

You can also find a Tome that can only be used by a Battleguard of Tempus. It casts Bless, so is not very useful.
    There's also a helmet of a sorts in the Underdark that can only be used by a rogue and it gives +1 Generic AC and +2 Cha. Very useful for a rogue/bard.
    And there are of course some monk-only items, a belt and some bracers.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Ahh you must be referring to that headband yes?

I guess since we're going down this road, wizards themselves receive a bonus considering they can wear a robe that increases their intelligence AND their charisma - just perfect for a sorcerer/bard or something =)

10. Cal Jones

Ah yes, I got that for my tiefling rogue - it was pretty cool.
    There's also the school cap for wizards (and sorcs).

11. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That cap only gives you +1 or +3 Intelligence(Hof version), so I donĀ“t think that is sorcerer oriented.Unless you already had a lousy Int stat and wish to raise it a little bit.For a W/S type, there is a robe that works both ways

12. kylan271 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ranger surprise surprise gets via mods..nice bow(Strength bonus add)of Mielikki and returning +5 arrow in Wandering Village and a book with archery bonus amulet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.