1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No spoilers! What should I know before playing this game?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Klorox, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

What can a player expect from PS:T?

I'm thinking of reinstalling it on my computer, and haven't touched the game in years. I never completed it either.

What mods/patches/ect. do I need or should I download?

TIA

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd play with just the official patch & Platter's fixes the first time. All available on SP.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There is absolutely no need to power game this game, you should role play it and not worry about traditionally important stats. Keep an open mind and try things out. Most of all, keep in mind that advancing the plot and learning things is far more important than finding items or killing things.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Read through the intentionally sparce manual. It gives some good information, but most things you will learn along the way.

One semi-spoiler:

Wisdom rocks. Start with 16-18 and you won't be sorry. Also, charisma is quite a good stat to have high. As said before, don't concentrate on the normal stats for a character build. You will have ample opportunity to improve stats throughout the game.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Do a full install if you can - it helps avoid some problems with reading from the CDs.

6. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Tal: The link to Platter's fixes seems to link to some generic hosting company page with ads - perhaps his site has been taken down already.

I found the files here:
    [snip]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  7. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The game is very hard to get into at the beginning but the quality of storytelling is unmatched.

I recommend to roleplay your character, not to lust after the best rewards.
    If you are a powergamer you can fight respawning monsters anytime until you have more than 1000 HP and all stats 25 if you really can't help it, so there's no need for reloading dialogues until you get the best outcome or similar things.

9. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Hmm, sorry about that Tal, I didn't know that site's reputation, was just one of the first sites that turned up what I needed in Google.

10. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Nearly all important fights can be avoided by talking and you nearly always get a better reward for doing so. So neglecting the physical stats is some kind of "powergaming" in PST. But it has the drawback that you are weak in combat and even the reappearing standard thugs crowding the streets can kill you. It's not that fun dying ten times when crossing a new area either. Consider how you want to play your game when choosing your stats, what is important to you.

The "ice knife" spell is buggy, since it can give the thac0 penalty permanently. If this happens to one of your party members it can easily be fixed by dying and getting resurrected. Dying once in while can be beneficial.

11. Thrasher91604

I had no trouble dying when crossing areas (thugs etc) when my character was built to be a mage (high wisdom, intelligence, charisma) and (9's for strength and constitution). You can take levels as a fighter to boost your hitpoints and combat skills to make you a bit tougher. You also have to rely on your companions to help with the fighting. But that makes it all more fun for me!

12. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Cha is mostly useless. You only get some bigger rewards, but gold is not really an issue in this game. Sometimes you may be able to solve some quests, but usually the same quests can be solved with Int or Wis.
    18 Wis is a must at the start of the game. And get it as high as possible fast. You get an insane amount of bonus experience this way. Int is also important, not only for a mage but for solving certain quests and gaining memories.
    Con and Str are only important if you plan to be a Fighter the whole game. Dex however is very important since TNO cannot use any armor.
    My suggestion would be to max Wis from the start and put an equal share of attributes between Int and Dex, if you plan to use a thief or a mage.

13. Thrasher91604

There are some dialogs where you can only get bonuses (XP, and important upgrades) by having high charisma. I would certainly not neglect it. It's much more important than high dexterity initially, unless you want to play a thief.

Getting hit / killed is only annoying in this game... ;)

(EDIT: well there are some parts where it's less cool, but you can run away or talk and still make it). Icewind Dale this ain't. ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Charisma is HUGE in conversation with Ravel.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

nothing that a single casting of friends wont solve though

16. Thrasher91604

You're CHR should be above average to begin with, unless you don't mind recasting after a quickload.

Personally, I find casting friends annoying. My mage character (with 6 levels of thief and fighter) with a full party brought charisma up to about 16-17 before increasing dexterity past 10 or so, and did wonderfully.

17. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

You're playing an undead scarred hulk. What's so charismatic about him?:D

18. Thrasher91604

He's got a silver tongue, though. Charisma is more than just skin deep ;)

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I consider dexterity the least useful stat, extra options for high dex are rare, the first 5 points don't give any AC and since you can't wear armor the little AC bonus for very high dex won't change much.

20. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Agreed with kmonster there. Dexterity have few uses. The one stat I can never do without is Wisdom. Most seem to enjoy the Nameless One with Str, dex and con 9. And Buff up as much as possible on Int, Wis and Cha. This is just about the only game I know of that this actually works, which I guess is why people love it so much.

If you want to go big badass indestructable warrior, Str, Con, Wis and focus on fighter levels, will make you into a juggernought of destruction. But you pretty much miss what most considers to be the strong points of this game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.