1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Game, RPers Wanted!

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Urithrand, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    After I spent a great deal of time working on a custom low-magic game world only to find everyone was busy or offline or couldn't agree on a day or time, I decided I'd open the invitation to everyone on the boards to join should they wish. Here's a few pointers:

The game will be IRC based in the #sp_mm chatroom (Minstrel's Medallion) and will run on Monday evenings at around 7pm GMT. Should plans change for the time/date after that it would be up for debate, but for the sake of avoiding the game time troubles we've run into before, if you can't make that time every week, please don't join. It's very disruptive when characters continually come and go. To some extent this is unavoidable, but I want to keep it to a minimum.

The game is not bogged down with continual rule checks and dice rolls. I have a habit of playing things by ear and I don't want players continually pointing out the variations between what I'm doing and the guidelines in the Player's Handbook or Dungeon Master's Guide. If you're a D&D 3.5E purist who just can't resist but correct the DM, please don't join. The whole point is to have fun, not spend hours rolling dice!

The gameworld is of my own creation and "low-magic" meaning I won't be allowing arcane magic-users willy nilly. While we're on that subject, I also don't allow what I call "I want to be different" characters, meaning we won't be creating a party of a Djin rogue, a Drow wizard, a Tiefling cleric and a Moon-Elf fighter. I'm sure you get my drift. Such combinations put serious strain on party-relations.

While it may sound I am quite a strict DM, I try to remain open to suggestions as much as possible, and if you have any queries, requests or suggestions, either respond here, PM me or you'll often find me in the chatroom, I will try to respond to any queries as quickly as possible.

2. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

sounds like fun, hope my hours work out for this.

3. Urithrand

Media:
  4. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How long would those sessions last? I might be up for a challenge.

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, same thing here. And are we playing in a DnD mechanical setting, or does the game involve no dice rolling at all?

I mean, I like either, but it's not quite clear. Sounds interesting though, manageable time too

6. Urithrand

Media:
    It would still be D&D rules with dice-rolls for things like saves, checks and battle, but it would be "rule-light" meaning I try to keep the number of dice-rolls to a minimum outside of battle, and avoid the "Hang on while I wade through the rule-book" situation. Each session would last as long as the players wanted up to 3-4 hours at the longest. I have been known to go for 6+ hours, but I am an addict :D
    Having said that it may be cut short if people have engagements elsewhere, there's no hard and fast rule about it.

As far as the setting is concerned, I'll post a little info as and when it's required. If there's a call for it I could post something here to give a little background info to help while rolling characters.

7. Elfen Lied

Yeh, that's one of my biggest problems, I'm mostly familiar with the version of 2E that is used in BGII, so anything after than is still fairly new to me, when I first game across 3E in NWN i couldn't understand how things worked at first, BGII was so simple, I understand it a bit better now.

I love playing DnD, I just prefer it a bit more when the computer does the rolling for me, but I have played Warhammer and table top DnD games so rolling die isn't above me, or below me, I forget which is used in that situation.

8. Urithrand

Media:
    Well I'm pretty familiar with 3.5e but there are some gaps. I will be doing my best to familiarise myself with any relevant rules before we need them so I would be the human rulebook when necessary.

If you're all interested, I'll be logged into #sp_mm tomorrow evening at said time for any questions or help rolling a character. I'll also be giving a good chat through the setting for those who are interested.

9. Elfen Lied

I try log in when I can. Not sure what my day is gonna look like, but busy would be a good guess.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've been looking for a chat game for a while now, even though I don't have any experience with mIRC. Anyhoo, are you still open? If yes, what books are acceptable and what is the starting level?

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's an online Java chatroom client available on SP so you don't even need to install mIRC.

12. mata5 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, I would gladly play with you, 7 GMT means 8 PM my time so I would play every monday, maybe be a bit late sometimes (like - half an hour). I'll come to the chatroom also, so I guess we'll see...

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Cool, thanks.

14. Urithrand

Media:
    Yes, there are still places open as we haven't made any conrete decisions yet, and to anyone who turned up tonight, I'm sorry but I got caught up. If it makes you feel any better, I also missed my weekly fix of RP :p

Shaman, only the core races allowed, and only core classes too. Restrictions apply, see first post. Starting level is 1 of course ;)

Now that I've missed the mini-session, we need to arrange a time when everyone can ask questions and get some background info sorted before they commit. When are y'all free?

15. mata5 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

All day long, except in the late afternoon, but before dark. :D

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Whats wrong with Moon-elf fighter? Thats a comon class.

17. Urithrand

Media:
    Nothing wrong with a moon-elf fighter, but I was throwing examples out. That one just slipped out with the strange ones :p

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I don't have any engagements so far, but I might be starting work in a week or two... still, evenings should be free both on weekdays and weekends.

Okay, so core races and classes. Just to know from the get-go, would you accept feats or prestige classes from any non-core books, such as the completes or another setting? BTW, I have a few e-books so let me know if you're looking for something.

19. Urithrand

Media:
    I have the full collection of 3.5e books, I'm just trying to keep it simple. If we involve prestige classes from other books we then have to allow feats from other books and skills/synergies from other books and it all gets out of control, so if it's not in the Core books I'll very doubtful allow it.

That doesn't necessarily mean the party won't encounter some NPCs from other books though ;)

Incidentally I'm going to be holding a chat tomorrow evening now (That's Thursday 24th Jan) at about 6pm GMT (I'll try to make sure I stay free this time :p) If anyone can't make it please feel free to PM me and I can send you a copy of the log or just answer any questions about what I will/won't allow.

One more thing: This is going to be a game for new starters as well as experienced players so don't feel intimidated if you're new to 3.5e or D&D, we're going to take it slow until we get a feel for the group and there will be plenty of time and patience for you to learn the rules. On the same note I expect the vets to show respect and patience for those who aren't as familiar as themselves. I won't tolerate flaming of newbs in my games ;)

See you all in #sp_mm I hope!

20. Elfen Lied

Hmm I hope I can make it, so far it looks like I should be fine, but I can't predict things with absolute certainty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.