1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What you want to be when you "grow up"?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by diagnull, Jan 18, 2008.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Regardless of your age, how many of you know what you want to do when you "grow up"?

I've never been sure, so I've flitted from one idea to the next. Now I have a strong idea what I want to do for my career and beyond, but...well, I'm not sure...

How did you know what you wanted (or want) to do?

-D

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

A Dentist :D.
    I made it into the uni course, so i guess it's just a matter of time now.

I think I kind of wanted to become one after my lil' sis cracked her 2 front teeth on her friends skull whilst on a trampoline. I kind of had to pick the fragments up off the trampoline mat and then try and comfort her in the back seat of the car as we tried to navigate our way to a an emergency dentist at 11pm at night. She was still bleeding quite a lot, and it would have been pretty painful, but her main concern was how she was going to look when she returned to school. I assured her that the dentist would make it all better, despite having no idea what they'd be able to do in a few hours on a Saturday night, but when we got there the dentist was just really great and put a couple of temporary fillings in so she could go back to school looking normal. From that point I really took an interest in her dental appointments and dentists in general, and yeah it all just kind of worked out eventually.

3. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hey, you never really know know...knowhutt'msayin? But after sifting through enough of crummy oddjobs and having started studying two different, but ultimately unsuitable subjects, I might have gotten some idea what I want to do careerwise.

Sure I thought I knew what I wanted to do when I grew up. I thought I was certain. But goes to show that maybe you just shouldn't limit yourself into something just for the sake of it. Do what feels right, right now, and don't think about the future too much. It's not where you're going but the way that you travel that makes the difference. Of course it helps if you have some plans, but don't etch them in stone. Careerwise it's best to do the kind of stuff and study the kind of stuff which you're interested, first and foremost.

So personally I think I wouldn't mind working the rest of my life as a librarian. But we'll see what it'll be...

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Librarian...or a games tester. :D

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, for a long time I've wanted to own my own pub...and working where I am now, it only intensifies the goal. To me there's nothing more satisfying than this industry as long as it's done right

6. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I don't really know. I've gone through various ideas- even to the point of applying to study medicine- but am yet to find something to really captivate me. At uni now, so I've got a handful more years to try and find something.

7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Heyy, I've been thinking about a book-& recordstore/internetcoffeeshop/pub...Not that many of those around here in Finland and I'd get to fiddle with things I like in life. There's one pub in Turku which has comics, boardgames, beer and net. It'd be an ideal sort of place to work in...or a business to start for yourself. But that I'd do only if and when I'd get enough money to get by with, to cover the risks. Also, I think I'd need at least one pretty solid business partner and some experience and/or some sort of education in getting started as an entrepreneur...

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ahh, the beauty of youth, so much time to discover your life's calling, so much freedom to figure out where you wanna go and what you wanna do...

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm spending the next 6months in Salamanca, Spain right now learning Spanish and trying to answer that very question. I graduated with an undergraduate degree in Economics but I still don't know what I want to do..

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    An History teacher, that is why I'm going to get in university next September :p I've always liked talking and reading about history and I liked every single history classes I had. It seems to me a natural fit.

11. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'd like to be a writer in the genre of comedy, although I haven't really decided what form I'd like this to take yet. I'm very interested in words - indeed, I'm hoping to do an English Language course at uni - so it's likely it would often have that sort of theme, but I'm not sure if I'd be talking about writing for radio, television, books, newspapers, magazines ... I think I'll find out what I enjoy most later on :)

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Art is definitively something I enjoy, but there's just no way I can make a living out of it. I also have a 99.9% complete computer tech diploma, and some experience working as a welder.

The most likely plan is working as computer tech, and possibly owning my own shop somewhere in the future, and work on art or welding as a sideline. Working as a computer tech isn't a bad job, but I have better aspirations than just survive.

13. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    If we forget fighting, making food and being able to yell really loud, composing music is the only thing I've ever been extremely good at, so:

I wanna make game music. If someone would just hire me. :p

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I think it's always important to have one of those "What if" dream jobs that will never happen. For me, that's a commercial airline pilot. Besides having horrible eye sight, there's no way I'd ever be able to afford the schooling, so it will always be just a dream. :bad:

As for what I'm most likely going to be, I'm getting a bachelor's degree in electronics engineering, and if I stay with the company I currently work for, I'll eventually become a machine maintenance tech working on some wicked cool robots. :D :rolling:

15. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I would love to combine my experience with nursing with love of computers and work in medical software industry. It will require me to learn a lot more about computers though, and that means more college, and I haven't paid off my last school loans yet.

Not that I am really worried abut growing up anytime soon...lol

16. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

As long as you don't decide to become an English teacher :p (couldn't resist)

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't know yet. I'm in a law PhD course, so I'm going to be a doctor of law when done with that, but whether I'll work as an advocate in private practice, or as an academic, or both, is not clear yet. Chances are it will be a job different still and I'm open to all possibilities. I'd like to help people and to make some impact. Plain money-making interests me less, although I'd like to have a decently paying job, especially if I start a family.

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Do you have any links to work? I collect game music.

19. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    When I was really young (less than 10 probably) I wanted to be an architect, probably because my father is one and I used to always go through his blueprints and plans and study them for hours on end. In my early teens I decided to go into astronomy - I used to love anything to do with the other planets and distant stars, and read tons of stuff about it. At around the same time my brother wanted to become an astronaut, so we would have made a good team :)

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Retired and independantly wealthy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.