1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Miniatures?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lord Domino, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The PnP D&D group I'm in has been going for about two and a half years now and originally we started out using miniatures for quite a few things, even just hanging around in a city. Pretty soon after that, we used them only to depict marching order (if necessary) and in combat and we carried on like that for some time. A few months ago, however, we decided to stop using miniatures altogether and leave even combat situations to the imagination only.

Naturally, this has changed a few of the rules, e.g. attacks of opportunity are now close enough to non-existant. Also, certain situations can crop-up in which the DM has one picture in his mind and a player has another, leading to a bit of confusion and disagreement. Obviously the DM's word prevails, but it can be a bit annoying or, at the least, surprising.

However, I think I would say that I definitely prefer not using miniatures now that we've "converted" as it were: it leaves so much more to the imagination and provides for more interesting role-playing. What's everyone else's opinion on using minatures? Do you prefer to play with or without? Also, f your group doesn't use them, what would you say is the best way of avoiding disagreements?

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The rules were designed for the use of miniatures. The reduction of Attacks of Opportunity is a direct result of tactical thinking. That's normal. Also, if you can pre-draw maps, it speeds up the fighting encounters and reduces disagreements...

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I love using miniatures and other items (in one game 2 Timbits [doughnut holes] were ogres). For me, it keeps things straight as to where players and monsters are in relation to one another. Spacial perception is not my thing.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Computers are the way to go. There's enough good programs out there which the DM can use to reproduce a battlefield and move minitures around it.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

My Cousin uses Photoshop I believe...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.