1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Going through Glen Cook's The Tower of Fear, and I think I'd rate it above The Black Company but below Passage at Arms. That may change.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Stand by Stephen King. I'm very glad he has an easy to read writing style, because this book is ridiculously long. Reminds me of The Count of Monte Cristo a bit with its wandering and perhaps excessive detail, yet still being very readable. Long books should not be hard to read, they suck up far too much time (it took me how many months to finish Gormenghast?).

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished the Oath series, Oathbreaker was fortunately a lot better than Oathbound.

I didn't have anything new that I felt like reading before Christmas so I decided to read Elizbeth Moon's Esmay Suiza books again. Once a Hero was just as fun as I remembered it. I have barely started on reading Rules of Engagement right now but I may stop with the series after I finish and switch over to something new.

4. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Surprisingly, after a pause of 2 years +, I picked up Salvatore's final Drizzt books in a Gift set. Now I own them all so I can finally begin reading The Lone Drow. I finished The Thousand Orcs just a week ago and liked it a lot. The Lone Drow seems kind of sinister, perhaps too sinister. :D (nah ;))

Anyhow, though I am in exam month now, I'll be bound to finish it soon enough.

After the Lone Drow, The Twin Blades will obviously follow. :D

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I finally finished The Deathly Hallows, iow the last Harry Potter book. Even though the end irked me a bit, the entire series as a whole is just brilliant. I said it, Potter is brilliant.

Heck I couldn't finish Erickson's Bonehunters in 2007. Sometimes simple but a so effective books are much better than the epic ones.

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I'm reading a silly socialpsychology textbook which name I'm not bothered to remember. It's too safe. The writers dare not risk anything or bring any controversies into light, not that it's entirely necessary, but in this book we have behaviourists, cognitive socialpsychology and whatnots in sweet harmony, holding happy hands together. Blech.

...oh yeah...and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Erlend Loe - Fakta om Finland and the comic book adaptation of Neverwhere... :rolleyes:

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Rules of Engagement last night so this morning I started on my new books. I am reading The Orc King by R.A. Salvatore. I was not really expecting much but starting the book by showing
    Drizzt doing his usual thing 100 years in the future really kills a lot of possible suspense. I know that killing of Drizzt was pretty unlikely but Salvatore has just made it official.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just finished Joe Haldeman's The Accidental Time Machine. An interesting read, especially the part following the "second coming of Jesus".

The end however was rather confusing. Supposedly the protagonist is jumping further and further into the future trying to find out how to make a time machine that goes backwards. He believes he will eventually be able to because his future self bailed him out of jail after his first time jump into the future landed him in trouble. But then in the end he is sent back prior to 1900 and lives out the rest of his life before he was born. So he never bailed himself out... there was some confusing mumbo-jumbo that the time travelers who sent him back mentioned about having sent him back many times before and that if he died before they sent him back they would cease to exist, but that didn't make too much sense.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just finished The Word and Void trilogy, by Terry Brooks. Great read. I enjoyed every page. Started reading the first Landover book now. Looks fun so far.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading the second book of Guy Gavriel Kay's "The Sarantine Mosaic" and I am finding it in parts very good. A few boring transport bits but the good bits are quite good.

11. mata5 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The Legacy, Legacy of the Drow...

Drizzt, yeah, yeah...

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I've been rereading the New Jedi Order series. No, I don't know why. Anywho, it's a wonderful illustration of the dangers of shared-universe work. Salvatore's book was decent, Stackpole's two were fun, Luceno's two were dull, Tyers' one was really dull, Keyes first two were above average, Denning's was dull, Cunningham's was above average, Allston's were very fun, and now I'm onto Stover's which is, IIRC, the best in the series.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

re-reading a compilation of Sherlock Holmes's adventures (volume 1).

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Orc King yesterday. It managed to live down to my low expectations.

I started on Dreamsongs Volume 1 by George RR Martin. It is a collecton of his old shortstories. I have only read the first couple of stories so far but I would have to say that it would be a good choice for discouraged aspiring writers to read when they need inspiration as you realize quite quickly that, back when he started writing, Martin's stories were every bit as bad as yours are. Given that I am not seeking consolation about my lack of writing skills the book has been just painful to read so far.

The intoductions at the start of each section of the book have been the only enjoyable parts of the book. They are pretty much a mini-autobiography of Martin's writing career.

Oh well, the stories are sorted in chronological order so hopefully the later ones will make up for the pain of reading the earlier ones.

15. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson. This is a hilarious memoir about growing up during the fifties in Des Moines, Iowa. It is really good and very, very funny.

16. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] About halfway through Hitler's "Mein Kampf". Scary stuff, because I can see how clever (and deranged) a propagandist he was: Start with an obvious truth (like, Germany lost the war), continue with a plausible story that people will want to believe (the defeat didn't happen because the enemy was stronger, but because Germany was stabbed in the back by her own politicians), and then blame it all on somebody else (the Jews and their Marxist world conspiracy). :nuts:

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Heh, I heard it's banned here... not many books managed to get on the "hate speech" list, but it made the distinction with honors. That doesn't mean I haven't seen it sold in the center of Sofia, though - there's an old Shop saying that the law is like a sturdy door in the middle of a field.

Anyway, I've started with the Dresden Files, #1 at present. Looks fairly good, but I should cut on my post-midnight reading.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hehe thats a good one.

19. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Currently reading Humphrey Lyttelton's autobiography and "Sourcery" by Terry Pratchett. First time read-through of the Discworld series for me and I have to say I'm completely hooked: I tend to read two or three in a row without breaking in between for a different author! Pratchett has the exact style of writing that I wish I could do myself.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm just starting Renegade's Magic. I'm hoping for a good conclusion to this odd trilology by Hobb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.