1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #100

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I second that. The week seems like forever.

No news from the possible job. They were supposed to call me back somewhere before Friday, and they did not, so it's safe to assume I don't get the job. That actually is a relief. The search continues, I suppose. *shrugs*

Maybe making a few phone calls to the guys and gals who were in the computer tech class might land me something. Strange as this might sound, I was starting to enjoy being a tech.

2. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I got laid off today. Not good. :(

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    BTA, in my crummy apartment, there is a water distribution water block sort of thingy that has flexible PVC pipes that run directly to all the faucets in the apartments. I guess it's cheaper and faster to install than copper pipes. Cheap-o apartments and their cheap-o fixtures. :bad: :rolling:

4. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Working on a Friday afternoon, can't wait for beer o'clock to start, feeling really sleepy.

Might just go to bed for a couple of hours after beer..

5. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    Life sucks right now. I know it will get better but it is really bad right now. :(

6. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

I'm sorry to hear about your job, Dinsdale.

Um.. if I'm not being too forward, perhaps you would like to tell us what happened?

Of course, if you don't want to talk about it, that's perfectly fine too.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Dinsdale: Sorry about your job. :( I hope you find another job soon!

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have malaise. :(

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Dinsdale, so sorry. That really stinks.
    Lots of wind and some thunder last night here but we skipped the tornadoes they had elsewhere.
    Dark, dreary, kind of cold but not cold enough to really be winter here today. My least favorite kind of weather.

Oh, well. Spam, babble, dither, slump.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My house is a frickin mess!

11. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    You may remember my complaining about rubbish exams. Well, i got the results back, and i was right, i got 2 Marginal Fails.

BUT!

I passed the modules!!! My coursework was JUST enough to scrape me through, which means NO RESITS!! YAY!

12. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

ARGH.

It's my very last semester, and my very last science class was just canceled. Not only that, but ALL of the other science classes are FULL, which means that I'm jumping through hoops trying to get my credits so that I can graduate why won't you people just let me graduate. The science dept. head has insisted that I'm now registered in chemistry--yuck--but my student information insists that I'm not.

ARGH.

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Finally decided to see what all the fuss about Facebook is... bit of nothing so far cos I don't really know anyone else on there yet so it seems there's not a whole lot I can do :confused:

14. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I've only eaten two carrots and an apple today and it's almost 22:00 already. Why didn't I go to the bar? I was supposed to... but settled for Jack Daniel's and reading Fully Ramblomatic. And why couldn't I be arsed to tune the guitar? It's not like it's hard. I'm lazy. There's a big zit in my face, but it's under the skin and I can't remove it. Why didn't I buy GRAW 2? I liked the first one. And I got money to spend. Damn. I'm hungry. Maybe I'll just make a pizza or something.

15. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I'd rather not talk about it, though.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The radio station I'm listening to played Working for the Weekend at 11p. Doorknobs.

17. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm at my moms' tonight. It's like a little sleepover... except, you know, she's not actually here.

/me hugs Dinsdale

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

:skeptic: Occam's Razor says the owner is paying the water bill, but I've seen some pretty absurd situations involving money and people - maybe the water company has simply 'lost' this address in their accounts and never send bills or monitor usage? :bad:

Ah, you see little circular ones around here, but yeah, same sort of thing. I believe it's a cutoff valve for the utility company's purposes (maybe they have to work on the underground line going into your house, or replace the meter with a newer, fancier version, which is can end up 'upstream' from the usual cutoff valve that's near the meter. Or maybe they just wanna cut off service to a delinquent customer without having to go ANYWHERE near the house. :rolleyes:

It'd be a bit of a drastic measure to get the water co. to use that cutoff; I'm surprised that the meter isn't more easily found. It's usually inside in the areas where I've lived, since the winter climate would make an exposed pipe OUTSIDE (with a easily-read meter) a MAJOR blockage due to freezing. But it really shouldn't be that hard to find. Don't forget that someone from the utility company has to come by periodically and read that meter, too. :confused:

Also it might be 'rocking the boat' if you call up the utility company - remember that hypothetical situation I mentioned? They'd fix their error post-haste if you were 'falling through the cracks'. :(

Ah. :doh: Something occurred to me as I was about to inquire as to your location vis-a-vis winter weather (if you're in the balmy UK or maybe the US Gulf Coast, exposed pipes wouldn't freeze):

Does your municipality/county/administrative region even charge for a measured individual usage, or does it use something like a 'mill rate' that doesn't require meters?

I ask, because the City of St. John's does the latter - we don't have water meters, but pay on a scale dependent on the total usage of the residential customer base. :doh:

The end result of all this tangential information is that if your area is like mine, that 't-key' junction box IS the main water cutoff of the water company's. :( The house whose basement apartment I'm renting had a main shut-off installed as part of the house, just inside the foundation wall. It tickles my evil side that I have to power the deny my landlord access to fresh water, if I choose. ;)

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, it's officlal, I'm not getting that job. They didn't call back and didn't answered my calls, so I'm set.

Oh look, being a schizophrenic misfit artist made me look bad and costed me a crappy job because the manager is a superficial moronic A-hole.

Like I care. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Strife Gems: 6/31

Veteran

jaded empath: Yes, I believe you're right about that grate outside of my road leading to the shutoff valve the water company uses, and as such, I'm not going to mess with it. Apparently it can be a criminal offence to tamper with such equipment in certain areas..

I stay in Perth, Australia, and it's not cold enough here to worry about pipes freezing.

According to a friend of mine who used to stay in this house (it's a 3 room house, and originally rented by 3 friends of mine, over the course of 2-3 years we've had 1, 2 people move out, 1-2 friends moving in to replace them, etc), she never received a water bill for the whole year she was staying here. Her family bought a house close to mine recently, and apparently she's billed for water for the whole year from the local council, and she says it's the responsibility of the owner to pay the bill. Still, like you said, I don't want to end up with a ridiculous situation where my water's cut off, and I have to pay a huge amount of money, plus most likely a fine to get the water reactivated.

Regardless of whether we're supposed to be billed for individual household usage, or pay a flat fee a year kind of scheme and so no need for a water meter, it still doesn't make sense at all not to have a shutoff valve installed in the house, and it's driving me nuts - where exactly could it be?

I have a little backyard that's full of dead branches and leaves, a proper leaf litter colony if you will, and I'm thinking it might be buried somewhere under there - there's a bunch of pipes on the wall there as well. Thing is, I'm not exactly keen to start digging through and clearing that, what with the possibility of a myriad of nasty bugs popping out..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.